The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Aristogeiton
Allow me to answer (despite not being as eloquent as cosmik, nor the party leader):

Currently, Labour spends £138 million a year on benefits, this figure is rising each year. It constitutes around a third of all public spending. Some of this money could be used.

Another source could be the millions that we give each year as 'aid' to LEDC's - this is unnecessary expenditure considering the state of Britain. Why spend millions trying to help (but being unable to) LEDC's when Britain is in its current state?

Finally, we've wasted millions of pounds, not to mention soldiers' lives!, on a pointless war in Iraq - rather than spending money on following the yanks into ludicrous wars the BNP could use the money to much better effect on our shores.

Just a few of my ideas.
So the government only spends £410m a year? Forgive me for being a little skeptical here.
Carl
So the government only spends £410m a year? Forgive me for being a little skeptical here.

oops...billion £'s - my mistake.
Reply 322
so the £35Bn that was added to the NHS budget without an impact to their ability to treat patients was...what? did Richard Branson buy out the health service or something?
Carl
We must have one very low income tax here then....say the Government gets all their budget from income tax and say there are 20 million workers in the country: that is only about £20.50 tax they pay each per year....lol
Aristogeiton
oops...billion £'s - my mistake.
Your mistake or the BNPs mistake? Have the BNP been thinking the Government only spent millions of pounds a year and hence thought they could safely increase spending to maybe a whole billion or two and have so much extra cash to afford to pay for all their crazy ideas which under normal circumstances could no way be afforded?
Roger Kirk
Your mistake or the BNPs mistake? Have the BNP been thinking the Government only spent millions of pounds a year and hence thought they could safely increase spending to maybe a whole billion or two and have so much extra cash to afford to pay for all their crazy ideas which under normal circumstances could no way be afforded?

No, it was my mistake (read my signature).

That figure didn't come from a BNP source anyway.
Aristogeiton
No, it was my mistake (read my signature).

That figure didn't come from a BNP source anyway.
Ah but your signature doesnt say what you post isn't anything to do with the BNP, but rather that there is a chance it might not be anything to do with the official party, hence why I wanted to make sure just exactly where you got this from.

I still wouldn't trust BNP economic policy anyway....it rest of the parties policy (both on here and in the real world, I believe) just seems to want to do things which will either increase spending or reduce revenue and with no account of how to afford it.
I gave examples of how.

Blair and his marxist cronies seem intent on 'saving the world'. This is, of course, expensive and futile but still he persists. If we cut back on these unnecessary expenditures we'd have the money.
Aristogeiton
I gave examples of how.

Blair and his marxist cronies seem intent on 'saving the world'. This is, of course, expensive and futile but still he persists. If we cut back on these unnecessary expenditures we'd have the money.
I doubt it and I don't see much of what you call unnecessary spending as unnecessary- much, if not all, of it is necessary expenditure to some extent in my eyes, or spending which cannot be regained once it's spent in the past (and so will not give you more money in the futute).
Roger Kirk
I doubt it and I don't see much of what you call unnecessary spending as unnecessary- much, if not all, of it is necessary expenditure to some extent in my eyes, or spending which cannot be regained once it's spent in the past (and so will not give you more money in the futute).

But the money is obviously there now. ie. the money for Bliar to spend on the Iraq war is there - where did this come from?

I'm not an expert in economics to any extent but if he can find the money for an expensive war like that then obviously it came from somewhere. We would take the money from the same place but spend it on something quite different.

Also, Britain budgets how much it gives as foreign aid each year. We'd take this money too. Foreign aid is quite unnecessary, esp. considering the state of Britain.
Reply 330
Criticising Blair's international aid policy is to target the strongest part of New Labour ideology. Have you not read the report of Blair's Commission for Africa? We need to double or triple targeted aid for a few years (like the Marshall plan to Europe) in order that more will stick and communities will benefit. There's nothing "unnecessary" about it.

I would save money by cutting off "city academies" run by religious factions for the sole intention of brainwashing: that's one good idea... improve everyone's education?
Jangliss
Criticising Blair's international aid policy is to target the strongest part of New Labour ideology. Have you not read the report of Blair's Commission for Africa? We need to double or triple targeted aid for a few years (like the Marshall plan to Europe) in order that more will stick and communities will benefit. There's nothing "unnecessary" about it.

No we don't!

Why should we give them money? The billions we pour into these countries is a waste because most is 'absorbed' by the government over there, and the rest is not sufficient to improve the country as a whole. We cannot afford to give enough money to turn around the whole of Africa, it wouldn't matter how much we gave because it wouldn't do any good and we'd cripple ourselves trying. But, the same money could be used here where visible changes could then happen and this country would actually be improved.
Reply 332
Aristogeiton
No we don't!

Why should we give them money? The billions we pour into these countries is a waste because most is 'absorbed' by the government over there, and the rest is not sufficient to improve the country as a whole. We cannot afford to give enough money to turn around the whole of Africa, it wouldn't matter how much we gave because it wouldn't do any good and we'd cripple ourselves trying. But, the same money could be used here where visible changes could then happen and this country would actually be improved.

It costs an awful lot more to set up a hospital/school in Britain than it does in Africa.
They rejected British imperial colonialism, they rejected the stability that accompanied it, our former dependancied wanted independance and that is what they got. We should wash our hands with Africa once and for all.
...and not try and sort out what we messed up in the first place?
fr browne
...and not try and sort out what we messed up in the first place?

That would require practically infinite amounts of money, and is impossible.

tobie
It costs an awful lot more to set up a hospital/school in Britain than it does in Africa.

But will one hospital/school change Africa? No. It will not change Britain either, I know, but the money should still be used for other things here.
Reply 336
cosmik_debris
They rejected British imperial colonialism, they rejected the stability that accompanied it, our former dependancied wanted independance and that is what they got. We should wash our hands with Africa once and for all.

It was a illegal for black zimbaweans to get skillied jobs during the colonial period. They're having to learn from scratch. also the colonies may be gone but all the big business in Africa is still largely white owned. Who gets to keep the profits of the South African diamond mines? Its De Beers not the South Africans.
Reply 337
Aristogeiton

As are alot of your promises regarding the economy
Reply 338
Aristogeiton

But will one hospital/school change Africa? No. It will not change Britain either, I know, but the money should still be used for other things here.

Will one hospital/school change Britain, no. That's not the point, one school or one hospital will change lives. Its still a difference even if its not a very big one. And before you say it... we already have plenty of relatively good schools and hospitals, they don't.
deej2
As are alot of your promises regarding the economy

Not at all, have you even read where I said, I thought, we'd get the money from?

That money spent here can make a difference.
That money spent in Africa is unlikely to do anything.

--------------

tobie
Will one hospital/school change Britain, no. That's not the point, one school or one hospital will change lives. Its still a difference even if its not a very big one. And before you say it... we already have plenty of relatively good schools and hospitals, they don't.

Relatively?

Why should we settle for second best? I don't want 'relatively good' schools, or 'relatively good' hospitals - I want the best that we can afford to give to this country!

Latest

Trending

Trending