The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I hear Gimerps have started the ball rolling on pulling out of the UoL - does that mean we can all still hate you, or will we have to turn out attention to UCL?

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,9830,1663817,00.html
Turn your attention to UCL. Kings already gets called strand poly, has LSE students tirading through (hyperbole, I know) etc.
Reply 22
randdom
Any reason why?

my brother just says they are really up themselves and they think they are superior just becuase they go to imperial, even though all medical schools are equal.
Reply 23
randdom
Any reason why?

They certainly didn't endear themselves to any of the potential Oxbridge transfer students who went for the open day. GKT gave tours of both Guys and St. Thomas' campuses with current student guides, provided lunch for us, paid for our tube tickets between the two hospitals and had a student Q&A session at the end. Imperial apparently had an hour of fairly mediocre Powerpoint presentations, no tour, no students - despite having said it would last 3 hours so students had made travel arrangements accordingly.

Plus they segregate the transfer students hugely especially right at the start (i.e. just when you need to get to know people!)

But then, UCL didn't even have a proper open day at all and apparently lots of people want to go there.
Reply 24
Do they spy on u to see if u attended the open day once u were offered a place. But then again they cant take the offer away from u for not turning up!
Reply 25
Helenia
They certainly didn't endear themselves to any of the potential Oxbridge transfer students who went for the open day...

:miles:

well, maybe not. but he's an imperial student, so.. :wink:
Reply 26
Elles
well, maybe not. but he's an imperial student, so.. :wink:

it's not my bloody fault! =p i had lots of fun asking about the clinical course (i'll tell you my 'experiences' another time!!) :biggrin:
Reply 27
*quivers with anticipation...*

on an acutely thread related note - fingers crossed i won't be in a london medical school this time next year..
Reply 28
Elles
fingers crossed i won't be in a london medical school this time next year..

I'd bet my student loan on you getting back into Oxford (providing you'd put it as first choice that is!). No, I really would..!
Reply 29
Elles
*quivers with anticipation...*

on an acutely thread related note - fingers crossed i won't be in a london medical school this time next year..

Ditto to that one :eek:
Reply 30
Thats a shame if the transfer students didnt get a good impression of the place. No excuses - the SU should have made a bit more effort! Then again we mustve been doing something right in the past as so many transfer to Imperial :smile:.

As for the segregation, its mainly in teh first erm, and that cos of the practicality if things - we do our 6 week BSc foundation course whilst Oxbridge transfers to their first firm.

Helenia
They certainly didn't endear themselves to any of the potential Oxbridge transfer students who went for the open day. GKT gave tours of both Guys and St. Thomas' campuses with current student guides, provided lunch for us, paid for our tube tickets between the two hospitals and had a student Q&A session at the end. Imperial apparently had an hour of fairly mediocre Powerpoint presentations, no tour, no students - despite having said it would last 3 hours so students had made travel arrangements accordingly.

Plus they segregate the transfer students hugely especially right at the start (i.e. just when you need to get to know people!)

But then, UCL didn't even have a proper open day at all and apparently lots of people want to go there.
Reply 31
pkonline
Then again we mustve been doing something right in the past as so many transfer to Imperial :smile:.

hmm, i'd be very interested in the numbers of 1st/2nd choice applicants this year.. :wink:

the segregation aspect is just one of those things i suppose - although hopping from year 3 to year 5 & then year 6 with a specific foundation course to "catch up" wasn't hugely appealing.

but as Helen mentioned in comparison to the GKT open day i think some relatively easy to do things (e.g. current students? do they exist? do they care at all? tours of the hospitals & facilities? more to say/do than an hours worth? when people have spent over an hour travelling one way...) could have greatly improved the overall impression most of us left with. :smile:

on the plus side - the biscuits were the best of any open day. & with my hours in london to kill by myself i was pleasantly surprised how late shops are open there! :eek: :biggrin:
Reply 32
Again there's no excuse for the Open Day; many medics are keen to advise potential students. I know for the normal entry Open Days, Imperial do tours, Q&A sessions, example mock interviews etc, plus similar stuff as part of the widening access schemes. If Imperial wants to attract the best it shouldnt be so shody like this - was there an opportunity to give feedback for the Open Day? That would help for next year, altho unfortunately it would be a bit late for u guys :frown:.

If u do have any Qs about I''ll try and answer them. I've also posted some blurb over at Admissions Forum too, in reply to a similar question :smile:.

Anyhoo woteva u do decide, hope u enjoy clinicals!

Prakash.

Elles
hmm, i'd be very interested in the numbers of 1st/2nd choice applicants this year.. :wink:

the segregation aspect is just one of those things i suppose - although hopping from year 3 to year 5 & then year 6 with a specific foundation course to "catch up" wasn't hugely appealing.

but as Helen mentioned in comparison to the GKT open day i think some relatively easy to do things (e.g. current students? do they exist? do they care at all? tours of the hospitals & facilities? more to say/do than an hours worth? when people have spent over an hour travelling one way...) could have greatly improved the overall impression most of us left with. :smile:

on the plus side - the biscuits were the best of any open day. & with my hours in london to kill by myself i was pleasantly surprised how late shops are open there! :eek: :biggrin:
Reply 33
Elles

I don't know of any - it's all UCL or GKT. I think GKT realised that they weren't seen as a hugely attractive prospect in previous years (a certain ex-moderator from this forum got in there as 3rd choice a couple of years ago) and really went for it this year with both the presentation they gave at our Clinical Forum, and with the open day itself.

But maybe I'm just easily bought with lollipops and a tube ticket :redface:
Reply 34
GKT are Kings College now - KCL finally eroded all their history...

And people wonder why BL are so grrr at QM!

Latest

Trending

Trending