The Student Room Group

French and Spanish

Hey guys :smile: I'm hoping to apply for French and Spanish in 2012, and I had a few questions about this at Scottish universities:

1) Do yous know anything about the fees situation for UK 2012 students?
2) Do any of you do languages (doesn't have to be French or Spanish lol) at Glasgow, St Andrews, or Edinburgh? If so - what are they like? Is there an emphasis on a particular area, eg literature?
3) This may sound strange...but do Edinburgh actually offer French and Spanish? I know that they offer French as a single degree and likewise for Spanish, but UCAS doesn't seem to see it as a joint honours degree. I did see someone ask about it here though...

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Catherine.

Original post by Catherine.
Hey guys :smile: I'm hoping to apply for French and Spanish in 2012, and I had a few questions about this at Scottish universities:

1) Do yous know anything about the fees situation for UK 2012 students?

Its been reported to be expected to be around the £6000 mark, so comparable to elsewhere in the UK given its a 4 year degree although it hasn't been confirmed. BBC News are pretty good at keeping up to date with the fee situation if you look at their education section.

2) Do any of you do languages (doesn't have to be French or Spanish lol) at Glasgow, St Andrews, or Edinburgh? If so - what are they like? Is there an emphasis on a particular area, eg literature?

Search for posts by me about Spanish at Edinburgh.

3) This may sound strange...but do Edinburgh actually offer French and Spanish? I know that they offer French as a single degree and likewise for Spanish, but UCAS doesn't seem to see it as a joint honours degree. I did see someone ask about it here though...

Yes, they do. I know several French and Spanish graduates.
I believe you apply to the general MFL degree (which is the one for 2 languages, with single honours or joint honours with a non language you select it seperately) and then input the languages you wish to study, although I could be wrong as I didn't apply for it.

Quick Reply

Latest