The Student Room Group

Msc Management UCL or WARWICK??

Hello, I trust everybody is doing fine. I have two offers from UCL and Warwick and consider which one to accept. It is UCL Msc in Management and Warwick Msc in Operational Research and Management Science.

My goal is to work in a good management consultancy (Mckinsey, Bain etc) in the UK, or preferably in Germany/Switzerland.

Which school/programme would you recommend?

BR,
Teran
Reply 1
The Warwick program is by far the target program for MCs such as McKinsey and Bain&Co.. The course is designed for management consultancy jobs. The UCL program is quite new.

Are you from the Philippines?
Reply 2
thanks Mr. Roxas, that's what I was thinking as well.

I come from Greece.

Do you have any idea, if one of the two programmes is more respectable abroad?
Reply 3
MSc management at manchester ore loughborough or leeds or birmingham???????????
Reply 4
The Warwick program is housed at Warwick Business School, and like we all know, WBS is a top-rated and globally respected business school. It also has a very good list of living alumni who work in the industry.

UCL is a prestigious global university. But it is widely respected as a sciency or medical research university rather than a haven that breeds bankers or corporate strategies and managers. I'd give that to LSE, amongst the UL federal unis.

So to answer your question, I think it depends on who is viewing and reviewing your CV. If it's someone from a top bank or MC firm in the UK or abroad, I'd argue that the Warwick program carries a lot more weight than the UCL MSc Management. An ordinary guy on the street in India, for example, might take it differently, however. So, it really depends on which and what kind of circle it is you're basing the prestige from.

Personally, I'd take the Warwick offer. But then again, that's just me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi

I also have an offer for Management MSc at both Warwick and UCL.

I am currently a 3rd year undergraduate psychology student at Warwick but my girlfriend does the management course at Warwick and i can assure you that it is not as good as it seems.

The WBS is not very hands on at all. They give you almost no feedback on your work and the lecturing is poor, as the lecturers tend to be leading researchers rather than people that will actually help you.

In contrast the UCL Msc course is far more involving from speaking with current student there. It is much more practical with a good 3 month consultancy placement in a top company. Not only this but you have a mentor who is an actual management consultant from one of the big 4 who meets with you whenever you want.

I myself have chosen UCL but perhaps i am also bias because i have already studied at Warwick for 3 years and am getting bored.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending