The Student Room Group

OCR G672 - how did you find it?

I did questions 1 and 2. I could've cried, literally when everyone opened their booklet and saw 1a we all looked at each other completely blankly. :frown: We've not done demographic changes so I have just chucked 17 marks down the drain. I thought 1b and 2a were good questions and 2b was okay.

So annoyed with myself, my teacher is really upset for us too but I'm not sure if this was just my centre...how did everyone else find it? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I am exactly the same. I spent like... all day studying solidly and when I opened the paper and saw it talking about 'demographic changes' I was just like ?_?

For 1a I just wrote a a compete load of crap about family structures which has nothing to do with the question at all.

After the exam it turned out that not many people had understood it either :/

The rest of the paper was good though.
Reply 2
It was AWFUL! Don't worry, it's not only your centre! Literally everybody came out of our exam hall saying "What the hell are demographic changes?!" As soon as I opened the paper I was just like OH.. GOD. I just baffled about completely the wrong thing.. wrote about families being geographically mobile :\ I actually realised though in the last 2 minutes of the exam that it was about ageing population! But of course it was too late by then :frown: 17 marks down the drain, gutted. What did you guys put for the 33 mark on sociological views on family diversity? I wasn't sure if it was asking just for the main theorist's views like functionalism, marxism, new right etc.. or if we could put in studies such as Weeks et al. on sexual diversity and Brannen on beanpole families? :\
Reply 3
Demographic changes are easy. Post WW2 baby boom, increased number of children per family, more teenagers in the late 50s/early 60s. Ageing population, can link in the sandwich generation there. That's what I did anyway.

As for the sociological views on the family, I just put wrote about Functionalism, Marxism, Feminism and Postmodernism, evaluating each one at the end of the paragraph, with lots of studies to back up each perspective and in the evaluation.

Is it bad that I included 29 studies in the whole exam? ;/
Reply 4
Original post by Wriggly
I am exactly the same. I spent like... all day studying solidly and when I opened the paper and saw it talking about 'demographic changes' I was just like ?_?

For 1a I just wrote a a compete load of crap about family structures which has nothing to do with the question at all.

After the exam it turned out that not many people had understood it either :/

The rest of the paper was good though.

Yes same! I thought I had it covered but no. :/ I wrote about regional diversity (I don't think that's anything to do with demographics) and then about Israeli Kibbutz (definitely not right) so I've basically thrown away 17 marks. Yes the rest of the paper was fine, but I'm glad my centre wasn't the only one who came out of that exam saying "what the **** was 1a about?!"
Reply 5
Original post by cookiee
It was AWFUL! Don't worry, it's not only your centre! Literally everybody came out of our exam hall saying "What the hell are demographic changes?!" As soon as I opened the paper I was just like OH.. GOD. I just baffled about completely the wrong thing.. wrote about families being geographically mobile :\ I actually realised though in the last 2 minutes of the exam that it was about ageing population! But of course it was too late by then :frown: 17 marks down the drain, gutted. What did you guys put for the 33 mark on sociological views on family diversity? I wasn't sure if it was asking just for the main theorist's views like functionalism, marxism, new right etc.. or if we could put in studies such as Weeks et al. on sexual diversity and Brannen on beanpole families? :\

I cannot believe how simple the question was, argh. :frown: The word 'demographic' just completely threw me, I didn't even think of that. Yeah same, literally no one wrote anything for a good few minutes because we were all in the exam hall thinking what the hell is this. I'm gutted too, I wanted an A in that paper but I won't get it now, and I doubt I'm going to get my A overall which has really upset me. I spoke about New Right, New Labour, Postmodernism, a little on Functionalism and Feminism, Smart et al and possibly some other stuff. Yeah we could put that sort of stuff in as long as we referred it back to family diversity, I asked my teacher. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TheApex
Demographic changes are easy. Post WW2 baby boom, increased number of children per family, more teenagers in the late 50s/early 60s. Ageing population, can link in the sandwich generation there. That's what I did anyway.

As for the sociological views on the family, I just put wrote about Functionalism, Marxism, Feminism and Postmodernism, evaluating each one at the end of the paragraph, with lots of studies to back up each perspective and in the evaluation.

Is it bad that I included 29 studies in the whole exam? ;/

Fml, I didn't even think about that. We briefly touched on the ageing population in my defence, so even if I did know what the question was asking I still wouldn't have done too well. I feel so stupid knowing how easy it was though, it's just the word 'demographic' that completely threw me and everyone else at my sixth form. :frown: That does sound right, I'm gutted that I've thrown away so many marks. Yeah that's what I did for that 33 marker too. Erm, well as long as you weren't just name dropping them and you were actually explaining their relevance, it should be fine. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by WhatYouKnow
Fml, I didn't even think about that. We briefly touched on the ageing population in my defence, so even if I did know what the question was asking I still wouldn't have done too well. I feel so stupid knowing how easy it was though, it's just the word 'demographic' that completely threw me and everyone else at my sixth form. :frown: That does sound right, I'm gutted that I've thrown away so many marks. Yeah that's what I did for that 33 marker too. Erm, well as long as you weren't just name dropping them and you were actually explaining their relevance, it should be fine. :smile:

Yeah seems most people didn't understand demographic. To be honest, the only reason I understood it straight away was because we learnt that word at the beginning of the year. Once you get the meaning, the question becomes so easy.

Yeah I named the sociologist and explained the study briefly, linking it to the relevant perspectives, so I'm hoping it should be fine.

Did anybody do Q8? I found it so easy! For 8A, Youth is socially constructed due to the media and prosperous economy, plus explanation. Then for 8B it's just explain pupils' experience of school by class, then for evaluation talk about pupils' experience of school by gender and ethnicity, then a short conclusion. Easy.
Reply 8
Original post by TheApex
Yeah seems most people didn't understand demographic. To be honest, the only reason I understood it straight away was because we learnt that word at the beginning of the year. Once you get the meaning, the question becomes so easy.

Yeah I named the sociologist and explained the study briefly, linking it to the relevant perspectives, so I'm hoping it should be fine.

Did anybody do Q8? I found it so easy! For 8A, Youth is socially constructed due to the media and prosperous economy, plus explanation. Then for 8B it's just explain pupils' experience of school by class, then for evaluation talk about pupils' experience of school by gender and ethnicity, then a short conclusion. Easy.

Yeah exactly, the only people I know from my centre who got the question were those who do Geography - they do all that sort of stuff in their lessons. Yeah you should be fine then. :smile: Nope, we only got taught the Family section (which is kinda annoying now, we were supposed to do Religion but we didn't have enough time. If we had enough time, I wouldn't have had to answer 1a!)
Reply 9
Yeah exactly, the only people I know from my centre who got the question were those who do Geography - they do all that sort of stuff in their lessons. Yeah you should be fine then. :smile: Nope, we only got taught the Family section (which is kinda annoying now, we were supposed to do Religion but we didn't have enough time. If we had enough time, I wouldn't have had to answer 1a!)

Just family for the whole year? We got taught family and youth, so we could have extra options for the exam. So I answered questions 1 and 8. I was really pleased with the questions actually, I'm hoping for a good grade come August. :smile:

Hope it all went well for everyone! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Out of curiosity, what were the questions in this paper? I heard about the demography question.
Jesus, you should have all done youth! Very very very nice questions from Mr Examiner. I filled up the whole 8 page answer booklet (might not be a good thing, but hey-ho). If anyones interested, from what I remember, 7a was outline two examples of how Labelling theory explains youth deviance, 7b was outline and evaluate the view that youth subcultures are a form of resistance, 8a was outline two ways in which youth is socially constructed (literally read through an example essay for that EXACT question just before the exam aha, so lucky!) and 8b was outline and evaluate the view that social class affects youth's experience of education.

So yeah, good'en!
Original post by TheApex

For 8a, did you mention Abercrombie's characteristics of youth culture? Ya know, leisure, style, peer group and consumption? Because I kinda bundled the economic/media/globalization things all into one reason, with Abrams as my sociologist and I'm not sure if I should have, ended up writing a page and a bit...

Also, 8b, what was your structure? I went Hargreaves/Lacey, then a large bit about Willis, all AO1 stuff, then kinda stuck a bit of AO2 by including Phil Brown's getting in, getting on, getting out stuff, and him saying Willis was too simplistic. I then went onto Mac an Ghaill's stuff, including the criticism that Brown and Willis didn't include middle class, and I then criticized Mac an Ghaill's methodology (11 students, why the hell was this allowed to be published?!). By then I was running out of time, slightly panicked and just whacked a short part saying "what about gender, ethnicity" blah blah blah, and extremely briefly outlined Griffin's gender thing and Mirza's ethnicity thing.

But yeah, I'm just worried about my lack of evaluation in 8b, how much did you putt? :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by JayPricey
Out of curiosity, what were the questions in this paper? I heard about the demography question.

I only did the Family section so I don't know what the other questions were, and I also can't remember the exact wording of the questions:
1a) Something about explaining how two demographic changes affect family life
1b) Outline and evaluate sociological perspectives on family diversity
2a) Two reasons for an increase in single parent families
2b) Outline and evaluate Feminist views on family relationships
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by TheApex
Just family for the whole year? We got taught family and youth, so we could have extra options for the exam. So I answered questions 1 and 8. I was really pleased with the questions actually, I'm hoping for a good grade come August. :smile:

Hope it all went well for everyone! :biggrin:

Yep, we were meant to do Religion but we literally only just finished the whole of the Family at the end of April. :s-smilie: I thought it was better that way anyway because then I wouldn't have to revise more, but now I really wish we could've done Religion because I could've done really well instead of having no choice but to answer a question that I didn't know. Oh well. I'm sure you'll do well. :smile:
Reply 15
Nope I've failed. I answered them all, but i ran out of time so i couldn't finish one of the 17 marks.

I need like 77% for an A, because my january exam was a good A. but I doubt i'll get 77%, i can just see my getting like 76% or 73% or something close. urgh. :frown:

Anyway, like I say, **** qualifications, it's who you know at the end of the day.
Reply 16
I used hundreds of sociologists, relevant ones and explained it all and i had to use two extra pages... but I'm still very sure i've failed and it hurts me so much because I did a lot of revision and I really don't want anything below an A. :frown:
Reply 17
I cannot believe how simple the question was, argh. :frown: The word 'demographic' just completely threw me, I didn't even think of that. Yeah same, literally no one wrote anything for a good few minutes because we were all in the exam hall thinking what the hell is this. I'm gutted too, I wanted an A in that paper but I won't get it now, and I doubt I'm going to get my A overall which has really upset me. I spoke about New Right, New Labour, Postmodernism, a little on Functionalism and Feminism, Smart et al and possibly some other stuff. Yeah we could put that sort of stuff in as long as we referred it back to family diversity, I asked my teacher. :smile:

Aw bless you! I feel the same, execpt I did religion, which is so hard :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by Oprah
Aw bless you! I feel the same, execpt I did religion, which is so hard :frown:

Hmm, pray for low grade boundaries! :smile: I don't want anything less than an A either (just because I revised hard for Sociology and I like the subject), but you never know Oprah. :smile: Was it? We were supposed to do the Family and Religion but we never got round to religion, what sort of stuff did you have to do?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending