The Student Room Group

US equivalent to first or 2:1?

I'm an American student hoping to do my postgrad studies in the UK. I'll talk to my advisors more about this once I get back to school, but just out of curiosity--does anyone know what the US equivalent would be to a first or upper class second degree? Thanks!
My understanding is that a 1st class degree is generally regarded as an A, so I'm assuming that a 3.5, which is roughly 90%, is a 1st.

I suppose anything between 3.0 and 3.49 is a 2:1.

I might be completely wrong, though.
Reply 2
Oh goodness, I hope you're not! That would be great!
Reply 3
Check this out mate: fulbright

Although every uni has their own conversion rates or ask you to convert your grades using a formula or something similar.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you, that's very helpful!
Reply 5
Original post by rolltide12
I'm an American student hoping to do my postgrad studies in the UK. I'll talk to my advisors more about this once I get back to school, but just out of curiosity--does anyone know what the US equivalent would be to a first or upper class second degree? Thanks!

I think the above reply is about right. BTW, I noticed your roll tide username. Not something you see a lot around these parts :tongue: I just graduated from Mississippi State, so I just wanted to say hi to a fellow Southerner :wink:
Reply 6

The Fulbright website is right. However, it depends on which university you want to go to. Some of them have different scales, so be sure to check.
Reply 7
My offer from Cambridge equated a 3.7/4 with a first.
Reply 8
Original post by anna918
I think the above reply is about right. BTW, I noticed your roll tide username. Not something you see a lot around these parts :tongue: I just graduated from Mississippi State, so I just wanted to say hi to a fellow Southerner :wink:

Thank y'all for your help! And Anna, I'm actually from MS! It's great to hear from a fellow southerner! Are you studying in the UK right now?
It not only depends on the uni you want to go to, but also on the uni where you are currently studying. An A at an average American uni is not the same as an A at an Ivy league school, and universities in the UK take that into account.

So, for example, if you come from a prestigious uni, they might ask for a 3.3 but, hypothetically, if the exact same applicant was actually at an average uni, their conditional offer could jump to 3.5 for the same program.
Reply 10
Oh goodness, I hope you're not! That would be great!

He is definitely wrong. From what I've read in the past, some universities deem a 3.5 to be a 2.1
Reply 11
A good university will ask for 3.3 or higher.
It's best to not convert your GPA into a UK classification as different universities may take into account different things. Just use it as a guide rather than anything else. Best to just give the university your transcript and let them decide where you stand, most admission offices in a UK university will have someone who knows how to evaluate a transcript. The other thing that may be helpful depending on the course you are trying to applying into and you have graduated from one of the smaller and lesser known liberal arts colleges is to provide them with a course catalogue of the year of your class or the course description.

It should be noted that in USA your CGPA takes into account all credits you did from your first freshman semester, in Britain many universities do not take into account your first year results when they give you your final classification.

I graduated from a US university, when I was applying for my MBA most told me they look at transcript rather than final scroll. Some looked only at the grades I got for my business courses and disregarded all the arts based stuff I had to take. Some looked only at my Junior and Senior Year grades only and some only took into account my Junionr, Senior and compulsory business core classes in the freshman and sophomore years.
Reply 13
Original post by giella
A good university will ask for 3.3 or higher.

This. I was asked for a 3.3 by UCL, Warwick and KCL. Only Edinburgh wanted higher, a 3.4
Reply 14
Original post by Erich Hartmann

It should be noted that in USA your CGPA takes into account all credits you did from your first freshman semester, in Britain many universities do not take into account your first year results when they give you your final classification.

I graduated from a US university, when I was applying for my MBA most told me they look at transcript rather than final scroll. Some looked only at the grades I got for my business courses and disregarded all the arts based stuff I had to take. Some looked only at my Junior and Senior Year grades only and some only took into account my Junionr, Senior and compulsory business core classes in the freshman and sophomore years.

Thank you, that's very useful info! That makes me feel a bit better about my chemistry grades :colondollar: (I'm studying English lit). I guess I'm trying to get a feel for whether I'm competitive for schools like Oxbridge or Edinburgh. Am I right in thinking that the most important things are GPA, rec letters, and writing sample?
Thank you, that's very useful info! That makes me feel a bit better about my chemistry grades :colondollar: (I'm studying English lit). I guess I'm trying to get a feel for whether I'm competitive for schools like Oxbridge or Edinburgh. Am I right in thinking that the most important things are GPA, rec letters, and writing sample?

I know how that goes, didn't particularly do all that well in some of the liberal arts junk I had to take.... especially American Politics and History, was just sooo boring those days or rather I just had no interest in those 2 subjects :biggrin:

For Oxbridge, as a whole if something is important to Harvard or Yale, then it would be important to Oxbridge as well. I'm not 100% certain as to what Oxbridge will ask for an English Lit program, but when I was applying for the MBA in Oxford, the requirements was almost near identical to what I needed to submit for Princeton.

References is very important but your GPA is the most important part to it.
Reply 16
Thank y'all for your help! And Anna, I'm actually from MS! It's great to hear from a fellow southerner! Are you studying in the UK right now?

Small world! I live in Meridian, where do you live? I'm not there yet, going this fall for museum studies (not sure where, still waiting to hear back from some schools).

Oh btw, I just received my conditional offer from the University of Glasgow on a 3.0 GPA. The program called for a 2.1. Most places I've looked at asked for a 3.3 GPA or at least a 2.1, so I'm guessing a 3.0-3.3 is roughly equivalent. I would definitely think anything 3.5 and above would count for a first.
Reply 17
Original post by anna918
Small world! I live in Meridian, where do you live? I'm not there yet, going this fall for museum studies (not sure where, still waiting to hear back from some schools).

Oh btw, I just received my conditional offer from the University of Glasgow on a 3.0 GPA. The program called for a 2.1. Most places I've looked at asked for a 3.3 GPA or at least a 2.1, so I'm guessing a 3.0-3.3 is roughly equivalent. I would definitely think anything 3.5 and above would count for a first.

I LIVE IN MERIDIAN! This is too crazy! I'll private message you; you've got to find me on facebook! Where did you go to high school? I was Lamar class of '08.
And thanks again for the GPA info--very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending