The Student Room Group

Is further maths all that hard?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by titsmcgee
Definitely not. Think about it, FM is just people who excel at maths - a lot of people will do very well in these exams, and so UMS can be quite wild.

Ok I'll just do normal maths....
Reply 21
Original post by iPad User
Ok I'll just do normal maths....

Don't! I've got a guy who got a B in GCSE Maths, but he worked really hard and now he's at an A grade in both Maths and Further Maths.

If you have any natural ability towards Maths, don't waste the opportunity by not choosing Further Maths.
Reply 22
Are grade boundaries low for Further maths?

FP1 May 2010 AQA for an A you needed 68/75 :eek:
Reply 23
Original post by Groat
Don't! I've got a guy who got a B in GCSE Maths, but he worked really hard and now he's at an A grade in both Maths and Further Maths.

If you have any natural ability towards Maths, don't waste the opportunity by not choosing Further Maths.

Well I want to do:
Geography (Working at A* in GCSE)
Economics
Maths (Working at A, but want A*)
Biology (Working at A*) or Further Maths (Working at an A, but want A*)

So yeh, I'll decide :smile: Is further maths hard though?
Reply 24
Well I want to do:
Geography (Working at A* in GCSE)
Economics
Maths (Working at A, but want A*)
Biology (Working at A*) or Further Maths (Working at an A, but want A*)

So yeh, I'll decide :smile: Is further maths hard though?

I don't find it hard, but I've always been quite good at Maths. As I said above, it's only extra work, it's not harder.
Reply 25
Original post by Groat
I don't find it hard, but I've always been quite good at Maths. As I said above, it's only extra work, it's not harder.

What did you get in GCSE Maths?
Reply 26
What did you get in GCSE Maths?

A* and an A in FSMQ Additional Maths.
Do you think I should do Further Maths or at least Further Maths AS, I am predicted an A* in maths and and A in statistics (but hoping for an A* with some luck, as I messed up my Coursework got a B, and need 88%+ in exam), we do FP1, S2, M2 at AS and FP2, FP3, M3, but only get 2 extra lessons a week and just go at a much faster pace, and therefore have to a lot of study outside lessons.
Further Maths isn't hard if you work well and get a good grasp of GCSE, AS level Maths/Further Maths and A2 normal Maths. A good grasp doesn't necessarily equate to the highest grades either, you can slaughter past papers and do extremely well. But eventually you will come unstuck because it all builds on the understanding of previous modules.
Reply 29
Everyone saying Further Maths is easy(ish) So is just normal maths really easy?
Reply 30
I did furthermaths for AS and it wasn't that bad. It was just extra work and I found it quite interesting too. If you enjoy maths then go for it. ^^ Also most of the people in my furthermaths class had As at GCSE.
Reply 31
Original post by bonana567
FP1 May 2010 AQA for an A you needed 68/75 :eek:

well that paper was easy no?
Reply 32

if it was really easy we would all get A/A*s first time round.

what do you think?
Reply 33
AS Further Maths is pretty simple too be honest, certainly compared to what people say A2 gets quite a lot harder, but is perfectly doable. Don't get me wrong, the most difficult exams I sit are Further Maths, but they are pretty simple to revise for (keep doing questions) and mostly follow methodical processes. Yes, it is incredibly hard, but nowhere near as hard as people make it out.
If you're good at Maths, you'll be good at it. You'd need to get at least an A grade at GCSE, preferably A* and they should come fairly easily. If you've been sat at home for the past 4 months struggling with GCSE Maths then I'd suggest that FM isn't for you. If, however, your GCSE revision has consisted of flicking through your notes and refreshing your memory and the A/A* grade is fairly secure, then you should be OK. It's difficult to say though.

for people who take further maths, yes maths is easy :tongue:
Reply 36

It truly depends on how good you are at maths. Some people prefer the core aspect, some people prefer the applied aspect (such as mechanics/stats etc modules). If your able to grasp new concepts with ease then you will find normal maths more than doable. However, it totally depends on the person.
Are grade boundaries low for Further maths?

Really depends on the exam board.

For WJEC, for some modules, less than 100 people sit the paper - e.g. S3 2009.
Most of those will be very good at Maths, and the grade boundaries are fairly normal I think, around 80% for an A.

But FP3 for WJEC always has low grade boundaries for some reason, I'm not sure why. Around 65-70% for an A.

People misunderstand grade boundaries. They don't just go up and down depending on how well people do, they go up and down depending on how hard the paper actually was - this just correlates with how well people do. They don't just say, oh, X% of the people got 56/75 and above, lets set 90% at 56...

Further Maths isn't all that hard - most people who do well, do so because they like Maths, and most of those are good at it too. People who don't do so well generally can't cope with the amount of Maths they have learned in 2 years, either because they just aren't interested or it just doesn't click.
Reply 38
Original post by Freakonomics123
for people who take further maths, yes maths is easy :tongue:

you are soooo right
normal maths is a walk in the park
Reply 39
Original post by Ate Mum
It truly depends on how good you are at maths. Some people prefer the core aspect, some people prefer the applied aspect (such as mechanics/stats etc modules). If your able to grasp new concepts with ease then you will find normal maths more than doable. However, it totally depends on the person.

nope, its down to further maths making normal maths look easy and use a bit of it in further

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending