The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inspiration01
Yeahh I wonder... Never did take her number like she asked me to lol, probs should have done that. But I guess we have to wait and see till September (if I get the grades :/...)

Nooo you have to get the grades :frown:((

Tbh I should be the one worrying xD, I am only just sitting on As at the moment and I need to get AAA for UCL.

I might drop by in September if I achieve the offer to check out the department again. I leave the UK in January to do some volunteering for my gap year.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 3801
Original post by Astronomical
Ooh, hello my fellow physicist!

I thought it was OK... felt a bit like an old hospital building, but they had this hug lens that was to be used to make a map of the universe to calculate something to do with dark energy, which was worth millions, and was pretty cool. :P

Didn't get to see much :frown: just saw the lense your talking about ( I think, the one that's being flown out? :smile: )

our tour guide was a bit broken :s-smilie:
Reply 3802
Did anyone applying for physics get an offer without being invited for an interview? (international students)
Original post by cantseethesky
Any other English applicants still waiting anxiously for decisions? It's been 4ish weeks since my interview and I think I'm going slowly out of my mind!

Hey!!! So glad to have found a fellow english hopeful among all the scientists.
I had my interview the other day, it was incredibly intense. In an exciting way. But yeah, totally good cop bad cop. Who did you have/what did you talk about/how do you think the whole thing's looking? PS dw, they reply reaaaly late
Original post by forsaken_earth
Hey!!! So glad to have found a fellow english hopeful among all the scientists.
I had my interview the other day, it was incredibly intense. In an exciting way. But yeah, totally good cop bad cop. Who did you have/what did you talk about/how do you think the whole thing's looking? PS dw, they reply reaaaly late

Woo for the humanities! :biggrin: Oh are they still interviewing? Whew that's late! How soon do you mean by "the other day"? Same really, they asked me about Larkin from AS which I was not expecting :s-smilie: I had two women who were really up on their modernism, one with short brown cropped hair one with shoulder-length dark hair and glasses, but I was so nervous I didn't really catch their names, and I couldn't quite figure out who they were from the website... I thought I'd done really, really badly when I came out (pretty much froze for fifteen minutes on the written exercise and scribbled something unintelligible after that) but thinking about it afterwards I'm not sure if it went as terribly as I thought... Argh! Well they said they should reply within 5 weeks of the interview, and their deadline is meant to be the 31st anyway, so hopefully I've only got another week of agony left! *calm breathing exercises* How about you?
Hi, Do everyone get decision on application exactly after 6 weeks or rejected one gets in few days after application is complete.
Original post by Samdude
what did you think of the department?

I thought it was a good, well ran department. The labs seemed a tad dated, but they're getting renovated! Fantastic place to be, and fantastic department!
Original post by Sweetcorn_1
Nooo you have to get the grades :frown:((

Tbh I should be the one worrying xD, I am only just sitting on As at the moment and I need to get AAA for UCL.

I might drop by in September if I achieve the offer to check out the department again. I leave the UK in January to do some volunteering for my gap year.

Whaaaaat?! Ur deferring ur entry?? Ahhh man! Ur gunna be the year below me (if I get in)! And Errrrm yeah, I'm sitting on just A's as well.. But I dropped chemistry so I only have further Maths and bio now :s so not much excuse not to get the grades lol!
Original post by cantseethesky
Woo for the humanities! :biggrin: Oh are they still interviewing? Whew that's late! How soon do you mean by "the other day"? Same really, they asked me about Larkin from AS which I was not expecting :s-smilie: I had two women who were really up on their modernism, one with short brown cropped hair one with shoulder-length dark hair and glasses, but I was so nervous I didn't really catch their names, and I couldn't quite figure out who they were from the website... I thought I'd done really, really badly when I came out (pretty much froze for fifteen minutes on the written exercise and scribbled something unintelligible after that) but thinking about it afterwards I'm not sure if it went as terribly as I thought... Argh! Well they said they should reply within 5 weeks of the interview, and their deadline is meant to be the 31st anyway, so hopefully I've only got another week of agony left! *calm breathing exercises* How about you?

It sounds like you're probably underestimating yourself! They gave you an interview, you must be a strong candidate, and everyone's nervous at the time, i'm sure they'll take it into account. And yes, breathing is good :smile: Did you get to talk about things you liked, or was it all a-level?

By the other day I mean wednesday.. I applied on jan 15th, about an hour before the deadline, hence the march interviews. I think we may have had one modernist woman in common. My other one was Chris Laoutaris, the renaissance/shakespeare expert - when we came out he told me he wrote a book on one of the things we briefly talked about (!) i.e. monstrousity as product of the female imagination in the renaissance.. Such a cool dude, all my ucl friends love him. He teaches first year, it would be incredible to go to his lectures. The a-level text thing is a bitch isn't it, i was warned that may happen but I still only prepared the stuff I liked, and managed to steer the conversation away from all the **** I barely remember. Succeeded in not mentioning robert frost, thank god. The woman really grilled me on paradise lost, she said it was 'admirable' that I'd read the lot on my own but then she proceeded to test me on eeeverything... Politics, philosophy, theology, detailed references, intertextual ****.. It was very heated, by the end the questions got almost rhetorical. The renaissance guy helped me out quite a lot actually, like he'd say something suggestive and then the precise quote/idea would float up in my head. So surreal. We talked about the critic Greenblatt quite a bit, and compared him with another one. I was so nervous, I hope I didn't come across as a crazy ranting woman. My written thing was a piece of ****, but the ucl guys said they felt the same way about theirs at the time.

Where else have you applied? I take it this is your first choice?
Whaaaaat?! Ur deferring ur entry?? Ahhh man! Ur gunna be the year below me (if I get in)! And Errrrm yeah, I'm sitting on just A's as well.. But I dropped chemistry so I only have further Maths and bio now :s so not much excuse not to get the grades lol!

Being a year behind will be good because you can help me with all the homework I get :biggrin:

And during the year you can give me all the inside info, like how the department is really like and how your new colleagues are.
Being a year behind will be good because you can help me with all the homework I get :biggrin:

And during the year you can give me all the inside info, like how the department is really like and how your new colleagues are.

Hahaha, just using me I see! No, it's cool. I'll help u... :wink: ahhhh I just wanna go to uni now!
Reply 3811
If it's true that UCL send all their decisions by 31st of March, that means that everyone who hasn't heard back yet will definetely hear something the coming week, right?
Reply 3812
Original post by Fuero
If it's true that UCL send all their decisions by 31st of March, that means that everyone who hasn't heard back yet will definetely hear something the coming week, right?

I hope so! I read on another thread that some people got rejected today - so maybe we will hear next Friday or something?
Hahaha, just using me I see! No, it's cool. I'll help u... :wink: ahhhh I just wanna go to uni now!

Same, I want to do a lot of stuff right now. The only thing I don't want to do is A-Levels q_q

I'm not even sure if I really want UCL, my heart says Durham but UCL was like my dream q_q. Luckily I have an extra year to consider.
Reply 3814
Original post by kt94
I hope so! I read on another thread that some people got rejected today - so maybe we will hear next Friday or something?

Terrible timing, my exams start next Friday haha :tongue:
Same, I want to do a lot of stuff right now. The only thing I don't want to do is A-Levels q_q

I'm not even sure if I really want UCL, my heart says Durham but UCL was like my dream q_q. Luckily I have an extra year to consider.

NOOO!! UCL! UCL! UCL!! but haha, i know the 'cba to work' feeling too! u come in september, when term starts, and (if i'm there) we make sure u wanna come UCL, we convince u lol!
NOOO!! UCL! UCL! UCL!! but haha, i know the 'cba to work' feeling too! u come in september, when term starts, and (if i'm there) we make sure u wanna come UCL, we convince u lol!

Maybe, but Durham has an amazing social scene :frown:

I'm so split.

DW I'll turn up in September just to check UCL out again, hopefully it will be awesome. I want to see the people I will be hanging out with as well. We can see who got past the interviews as well.

Tough choices man
Reply 3817
offer from UCL for architecture! :smile:
Maybe, but Durham has an amazing social scene :frown:

I'm so split.

DW I'll turn up in September just to check UCL out again, hopefully it will be awesome. I want to see the people I will be hanging out with as well. We can see who got past the interviews as well.

Tough choices man

What course are you both talking about, out of curiosity?!
Original post by nathgooner
What course are you both talking about, out of curiosity?!

She applied for Mathematical Computation, I applied for Computer Science.

Latest

Trending

Trending