The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i wouldnt worry about it all that much....afterall you have until like august to decide its just people decide to rush about in january for some reason, there r plenty of houses left in august, how do you think freshers get them who come in through clearing? who knows by that time you may have made some great friends.
Am I stating the obvious here...but didn't you move into halls with people you didn't know? At my uni it's very rare for peeps who were mates before to get housed together in the same halls....all 5 of my flatmates were total strangers to me.

That's why I don't actually think it's that different.
Tarts_n_Vicars
Am I stating the obvious here...but didn't you move into halls with people you didn't know? At my uni it's very rare for peeps who were mates before to get housed together in the same halls....all 5 of my flatmates were total strangers to me.

That's why I don't actually think it's that different.

Halls are slightly different cos they're own and regulated by the uni, there're people you can can complain to if one of the other students wreck things or rob you.
no its not different its practically the same thing! your still moving in with strangers, only thing diff with halls is if u dont like ur flat u can go to other ppls flats easily, with a house its not so easy to make different mates.
gianthead
Halls are slightly different cos they're own and regulated by the uni, there're people you can can complain to if one of the other students wreck things or rob you.

And where did complaining ever get anyone? If one of your flatmates wrecks the place unless you all gang together and say "it was X" (keep in mind not all of you will have seen who did it) then the costs will be apportioned out among all of you by the uni which is exactly what would happen in a non-uni house share. And if you're robbed....campus security is nothing compared to the police.
Reply 25
Hey everyone

Just found this thread as I was looking at what to do if you're in a house with people you don't get on with.

I started uni again this year and moved into a house with 4 second yr guys who all knew each other but I didn't know them. Suffice to say I hate it. Now I'm looking to move out before the contract is up. I actually came on here to see if anyone had any ideas how to tell your housemates you're off and they have to find a replacement or everyone's out???? Not a pleasant situation to be in!!

I recommend moving in with people you either know or at least are guranteed to make an effort to get to know you and be friendly - that I didn't get either!!!
strawberrie
I'm most probably gonna be doing this is my 2nd year of uni and am excited but also slightly worried :frown:

does anyone have any experiences of moving in with radom people who are advertising for an extra housemate or know any stories (true stories) of ppl who have done this?

also all opinions very welcome :smile:

thanks

xxx mwah xxx

I hate living with randoms, Drives me around the bend.

I'd rather halls or a one bedroom flat/apartment, anything but a house full of randoms... it used to drive me up the wall.

My advice would be to go around, ask them loadsa questions then recommend that you all go out somewhere before you move in, to get to know each other and see if they're total morons or not.

Latest

Trending

Trending