The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

going to bcu & scared

im pretty excited and nervous, are there any tips for accomodation? (preferably where people can come and visit often) and also any advice? super nervous cuz its my first time studying overseas
Original post by Anonymous #1
im pretty excited and nervous, are there any tips for accomodation? (preferably where people can come and visit often) and also any advice? super nervous cuz its my first time studying overseas
Hi Anon,

Congratulations!

I'm also an international student, and I'm in my second year psychology student here at BCU. Where are you from? In my first year I stayed at Jennens Court which was super convenient as it was literally just a five minute walk to the city campus. Jennens Court was also right in town, so going out and running errands was easy as well.

You can have a look here at the other accommodations we have: https://bit.ly/3N2dj1d

I know it can be really scary moving abroad and undoubtedly you will miss home. It will take some time for you to find your people and feel comfortable with life abroad. A piece of advice I would like to share is to not be afraid or embarrassed to try new things and meet new people. I realised that stepping out of my comfort zone was such an important element to my new life abroad- by living on my own and trying new things I've learnt so much about myself.

Good luck!
Danish
BCU Student Rep
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi Anon,

Congratulations!

I'm also an international student, and I'm in my second year psychology student here at BCU. Where are you from? In my first year I stayed at Jennens Court which was super convenient as it was literally just a five minute walk to the city campus. Jennens Court was also right in town, so going out and running errands was easy as well.

You can have a look here at the other accommodations we have: https://bit.ly/3N2dj1d

I know it can be really scary moving abroad and undoubtedly you will miss home. It will take some time for you to find your people and feel comfortable with life abroad. A piece of advice I would like to share is to not be afraid or embarrassed to try new things and meet new people. I realised that stepping out of my comfort zone was such an important element to my new life abroad- by living on my own and trying new things I've learnt so much about myself.

Good luck!
Danish
BCU Student Rep
i'm from asia, and its really scary moving to the other side of the world. anyhow, i was looking through uniacco and saw some places with about £200/week? is that a good rate? im not sure because im unfamiliar with the market there. i also want to know if having people come over is allowed? because my family would like to visit and stay over so theres that too

i also dont really understand the term 'flatmates'. like, do they live with you? or do they just live in the same building?
Original post by Anonymous #1
i'm from asia, and its really scary moving to the other side of the world. anyhow, i was looking through uniacco and saw some places with about £200/week? is that a good rate? im not sure because im unfamiliar with the market there. i also want to know if having people come over is allowed? because my family would like to visit and stay over so theres that too

i also dont really understand the term 'flatmates'. like, do they live with you? or do they just live in the same building?
Hi there!

I can imagine the thought of moving away being scary, but once you've settled in and started to get used to your new city, I'm sure you will feel more comfortable.

Depending on what you're getting included in your rent, £200/week is on the pricier side for accommodation. It really depends on your budget, but as Danish suggests there is Jennens Court, University Locks and Bentley House, which are all nearby to the BCU City Centre Campus. Maybe have a look to compare accommodations and see if there is anything you like.

The term flat mates means the people you will be living with. If you're in student accommodation, you will probably be in a shared flat. This will mean you will have your own bedroom and en suite bathroom, but will share a kitchen with your flat mates. You can find flats that house three up to usually ten flat mates, but I would personally recommend looking for accommodation with around 5/6 flat mates per flat so that there isn't too many people to share the kitchen space with.

About visitors, most accommodations are happy for you to have guests. It may not be possible to have family stay over in your flat, mostly due to a lack of space, but they would be allowed to stay. I would also suggest telling your flat mates if you're having friends/family stay overnight, just so they're happy and comfortable having strangers in the flat too.

When looking at accommodations, check their guest policy as this might influence your decision on which accommodation to choose.

I hope this makes sense, but any more questions please feel free to ask! 🙂
Emily
Student Rep at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending