The Student Room Group

Getting out of student accommodation contract

I recently agreed to a contract for accommodation in a 12 room house in Plymouth. The issue is, after travelling 300 miles the house was nothing like the description on the website and have now moved back to Manchester and switched to Salford Uni. Does anybody know if there is any legal way of cancelling the contract, like DSR for example. Surely if the property is not as described i should have a way out, Any info would be appreciated
Original post by msfoto
I recently agreed to a contract for accommodation in a 12 room house in Plymouth. The issue is, after travelling 300 miles the house was nothing like the description on the website and have now moved back to Manchester and switched to Salford Uni. Does anybody know if there is any legal way of cancelling the contract, like DSR for example. Surely if the property is not as described i should have a way out, Any info would be appreciated

I think if you tried to nullify the contract on the grounds that the property wasn't as advertised, the agent/landlord would argue that you should have viewed it first before signing any legal documentation (I know it would have been difficult for you to that, but that's what they'll say).

All you can do (unless there is a get-out clause in your contract) is to find a replacement tenant to take over your place in the house. Whether DSR applies would probably depend on what type of tenancy agreement you have...
Im trying to get out of my contract too in Preston and need to find a replacement tenant, its so frustrating. I've only been there two weeks why cant they just void my contract! Hope you get it sorted.
Reply 3
I took legal advice and have been advised i have a good case based on the premise they miss sold me the accommodation as it is nothing like what was advertised. The cheques have been stopped and I'm ready for a fight :smile:
That's great, but be aware you may well lose. Some letting agents in Plymouth have a clause in their adverts/agreements that say a holding deposit only guarentees you a room in a "property of that type".

I'm reluctant to suggest not paying your rent, as it's likely to have an impact on your credit rating. However, if you don't they will probably evict you as soon as they can legally, especially if you indicate you have no intentions of ever paying the rent- but it's up to you to decide if that's a road you want to go down.
Reply 5
My brother was in the same situation. He stopped his payments, and planned to move out (I think he moved out today). The landlord threatened to sue him if he did, but then said only pay the next months rent. He is probably suing the landlord for the money back. The house was an absolute stinking **** hole with water overflowing onto the carpets from a blocked toilet, which she did nothing about for three months before they moved in, whilst still taking payments from them. Apparently, when the started paying, the place wasn't even inhabitable. I think the landlord realized finally that she didn't have a case to sue, since she pretty much broke the contract.
Please students, read your tenancy agreements. You generally have to give xy or z months notice. I'm a landlord and my contracts have a 3 month notice period. As for voiding contracts after 2 weeks. Once you guys move out after 2 weeks it's virtually impossible to re-let the room after the beginning of the september term. We don't do this for the love of it, it is a business and we have bills to pay, after all the mortgage companies don't waive their payments just because you decide you don't like uni after 2 weeks. Think carefully before you sign and read what your signing. It's not rocket science.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Caroline.moth
Please students, read your tenancy agreements. You generally have to give xy or z months notice. I'm a landlord and my contracts have a 3 month notice period. As for voiding contracts after 2 weeks. Once you guys move out after 2 weeks it's virtually impossible to re-let the room after the beginning of the september term. We don't do this for the love of it, it is a business and we have bills to pay, after all the mortgage companies don't waive their payments just because you decide you don't like uni after 2 weeks. Think carefully before you sign and read what your signing. It's not rocket science.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I havent decided I dont like uni after two weeks actually i do like uni i just have personal reasons for needing to move home. Bit different. I live in halls aswell which is different aswell not the same as renting from a landlord and im pretty sure my halls paid of their mortgage long ago the rates that they charge. As for the whole point of this thread, it regards DSR and your within your legal rights to terminate your contract due to this for upto 7 working days. Obviously people read their contracts but situations happen beyond a persons control ie. The accommodation being a reck as not advertised and personal reasons so dont just assume that people never read their contracts its unfair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well if you'd read your contract you would know the answer and wouldn't need to ask the question!!!
Original post by Caroline.moth
Well if you'd read your contract you would know the answer and wouldn't need to ask the question!!!

Well if you'd read the OP you'd see that your immature and pointless rant was immature and pointless. :rolleyes:

OP, landlords do have a legal responsibility for your flat to be habitable and as described. Talk to the CAB. Having photos would help.
Reply 10
Hi I'm at uclan. Ready to move out and I have to find a new tennat. Any help? How long did it take you? I can't afford to pay halls!!
Reply 11
A friend wants to move out of her shared house as she does not get along with some of her house mates, she is still in contract but has found a replacement tenant for her room. The landlord has told her if she wants to leave, her and all of the house mates must pay £150 to renew the contract. Obviously the other house mates wont do this. Does this sound right and legal? could anyone give advice because it sounds ridiculous to me.
Original post by rubymc
A friend wants to move out of her shared house as she does not get along with some of her house mates, she is still in contract but has found a replacement tenant for her room. The landlord has told her if she wants to leave, her and all of the house mates must pay £150 to renew the contract. Obviously the other house mates wont do this. Does this sound right and legal? could anyone give advice because it sounds ridiculous to me.

Is there anything set out in the contract about this?

Is she in Scotland?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I can understand that your mortgage repayments need to be met but these kids are 19 and they think they no best. My son recently moved to leeds becket he was only there 2 days in his flat and he then rang me wanting to come home. I'm not gunna say why but with theses tenancy agreements they should be a months trail to see if they like it or not instead of them going home and landed with a years rent. A normal rented house is on a 6 months contract
Original post by pollack1
I can understand that your mortgage repayments need to be met but these kids are 19 and they think they no best. My son recently moved to leeds becket he was only there 2 days in his flat and he then rang me wanting to come home. I'm not gunna say why but with theses tenancy agreements they should be a months trail to see if they like it or not instead of them going home and landed with a years rent. A normal rented house is on a 6 months contract

you might want to check dates before you post
Hi, I'm trying to get out of a room contract as well in London at Mannequin house. Any advices on how to find someone to take over my contract?
Reply 16
Hi I am in the same position. How do I get out of this situation?
Reply 17
They have contacted me to pay from this month but I don’t have the money to pay for this kind of accommodation now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending