The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I live in Ireland, and I have no idea where you got that image from.
Very possibly. If you look up Queen Scotia you will see she came from Egypt then travelled through Spain.
Original post by Nightstar-27
I haven't noticed this common look in Ireland. Especially the jet black hair part. Most of the Irish girls I've seen have light brown hair. What part of Ireland are you looking in?

thats what im wondering

speaking as an irishman living in the west of ireland, this is a very rare occurrance.

Irish have always been known for pale skinned green eyed and red/brown of hair.

As for this olive complexion ive no idea where thats coming from.

Original post by Apagg
They are all banshees and sirens come for your mortal seed. Flee!

The Bean Sidhe is a herald of death, a sidhe attached to old families, the siren was greek lol.
I also have these features. My grandparents from my father's side are Irish and my friend's mother (also Irish) has the same features.
Not quite as stunning as I would have hoped but I'm glad that people can relate~
I struggle to find people who look like me :smile:
Original post by Athena21
Irish...Accent...:coma:
overrated.

Original post by aeterno
I'm just going to come here and say how much I love Irish men and their accents. :coma:

Ok, I'll leave now. :colonhash:
mostoverrated.com

Original post by HonestBob
This look was everywhere, but I must admit, it was especially noticable around Wicklow and Wexford. It also was quite common in the North West in places like Mayo, Sligo and Donegal
Funningly enough you may be on to something.

I believe back in the day particularly in the North West's case a specific type of Spanish(I believe northern bilboa region) immigrants once came in large numbers hence the jet black blue eyed came into prominence. Thats what I heard anyways...
Original post by Ideot
Deal with it :cool:... -_-

I was going to suggest that perhaps it is due to the residual genes from the lads of the Spanish Armada...

spanish armada thats it
Original post by jimcatinnes
You just described practically all of my family!

We always joke that the black hair is from the Spanish armada that stopped off in ireland lol.
didnt know so many irish were here

Original post by OddThings
Irish Men..accents....yum. Oh.Sorry.I'll just leave now..:biggrin:
you crazy.

Original post by maria1291
Galway girl ...
"and i ask you friends, whats a fella to do? Cause her hair is black and her eyes are blue" :-P

Irish girl ... blue eyes and darkest shade of brown hair :-)

that song.
Right then, I'm Irish with a fat face, brown eyes and blonde hair. Travelled all over Ireland and have never noticed this stereotypical look.
Original post by Nightstar-27
I haven't noticed this common look in Ireland. Especially the jet black hair part. Most of the Irish girls I've seen have light brown hair. What part of Ireland are you looking in?[/QUOT

my grand mother came from county cork with hair as black as night and eyes as blue as deep ocean waters. Her hair hung down to the backs of her knees and she would brush one hundred times each night. My mother had lighter black hair and rich sparkly blue eyes that danced wgen she was happy but turn so blue they seemed black when something crossed her. My fathers hair was curly black so black it seemed blue in the bright light of day. His eyes were as blue as a clear summer sky. All three as celtic as spuds and turnip..
Reply 68
Because of their genetics! Same for Irish guys as well :smile:
I really don't get this.
Original post by Steeplechasing
I really don't get this.

What don't you get Steeplechase? By the way do you know where and why the term steeplechase started?
they are the "black irish"
Original post by jedanselemyia
they are the "black irish"

I've heard this expression before and tbh, I find it weird.
Original post by Steeplechasing
I've heard this expression before and tbh, I find it weird.

It's because black is used to describe people of african descent! :smile:
It seems like a myth more than anything else but it's very interesting nonetheless: http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/who-were-the-black-irish-92376439-237784721.html
I've always thought there is something to the "Celtic" romanticism which links the British Isles, Brittany, Aquitaine, Basque country and Galicia. These populations share a relatively distinct genetic marker: haplogroup R1b(1a2), and often the features described.
Original post by HonestBob
Actually the Celtic speaking (notice I didn't say Celts) people to settle the British Isles were from the Basque regions, bordering France and Spain. An anthropological study found the Irish of Norman ancestry (subjects had Norman surnames) tended to be the reddish haired ones. True blonde hair is extremely rare amongst Irish Catholics but common in those of old Anglo-Protestant stock. Blonde hair, surprisingly, is also rare amongst Protestants in Ulster of Scots Presbyterian ancestry.

The English are predominantly a blonde haired people (particularly the further east one travels on the island), and Scots Highlanders from the eastern areas are also noticably blonde. Now when I say blonde, I mean they are blonde at birth and remain that way till adolescence. As they age, however, a good proportion turn from blonde to light brown or even mousey. Neverhteless, some stay blonde till the ageing process makes them grey, and again, this is most noticable in the eastern counties of England. It is also in this area where ginger hair and freckles are very common. The average Englsih person is often described as being strawberry blonde, pale skinned, blue-eyed, tall and welll built. This was precisely the same way the Romans described the Scandanavian and Germanic tribes of Angles, Saxons and Jutes who later took over and settled much of what is modern day England.

The Irish, the Welsh, the Cornish and most Scots are more universal in nature and largely derived from these Celtic speaking tribes who settled the British Isles, whom the Romans called the Britons. They were described as having dark coloured hair, fair skin and light coloured eyes. They were also pictured to be a tall lean people with chisled angular facial features and fine boned bodies, which of course contrasted with the tall, muscular, big-boned, round faced, blonde haired, pale skinned Anglo-Saxons. The Romans laughed at their supposed youthful looking faces and golden hair and called them angels, hence the name Angles.

Wow....That is really interesting. Come to think of it, in my 3 times visiting Ireland I don't recall ever meeting a blond Irishman (women are different - hair dye). Most of the Irish I've met in life were blue-eyed brunettes with long, thin faces and delicate features.
I'm not trying to be a dick, but as someone who known a helluva lot of Irish people, they are nowhere near the hype British people think.
The blood of a warrior queen called Queen Sgota flows in their veins. She is also known as Queen Scotia. Scotland is named after her by one of her sons.
Original post by Bob Mackenzie
The blood of a warrior queen called Queen Sgota flows in their veins. She is also known as Queen Scotia. Scotland is named after her by one of her sons.

Helluva bump, but I heard this before. Also that the black Irish have Iberian/Spanish/North African heritage.
Yes I have heard of the spanish connection. Queen Sgota actually camevfrom Egypt.

Latest