The Student Room Group

Edexcel Physics Unit 4 - 21st June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aym3n

Original post by aym3n
hahaha i like the way u think :tongue:

Haha. It is true. I am sure that is their mission. Well, they seem to be succeeding here. :mad2:
Reply 561
Original post by Vampire-Love4ever
Haha. It is true. I am sure that is their mission. Well, they seem to be succeeding here. :mad2:

yes they are they want us to turn into moserts :eek: no wonder they give us bad papers and get us angry :eek: :tongue:
Reply 562
Original post by ljarc
thank you! i think i love u right now! :biggrin:

hahha no problem :tongue: np i love u too :tongue:
Extremely tough paper.

Realised I got one of the Spread sheet answers but crossed it out for some reason!?
Couldn't determine the "u" thing either.
Probably dropped a few on the multi choice and forgot 0.5mv^2=mgh (damn!)

The V/t graph, talked about how it becomes charged when touching one plate, and accelerated through the field to the next plate, where its charge will change, and accelerate in the other direction (carbon a conductor, electric field, stuff lol)

The particle physics at the end was very nice. Probably the best question on the paper.

Charge Conserved
Momentum Conserved
Baryon Number Conserved (all mesons, so... Baryon number is conserved!)

I think I got the rest pretty well down, but you never know really. Thinking roughly anywhere from 45-62 marks for me!

First multi choice question I think was weight, simply because the definition on newtons second law is "the rate of change of momentum of an object is directly proportional to the resultant force that acts on the object"

Took a wild guess at the flux linkage.
Reply 564
Original post by HampshireDave
Extremely tough paper.

Realised I got one of the Spread sheet answers but crossed it out for some reason!?
Couldn't determine the "u" thing either.
Probably dropped a few on the multi choice and forgot 0.5mv^2=mgh (damn!)

The V/t graph, talked about how it becomes charged when touching one plate, and accelerated through the field to the next plate, where its charge will change, and accelerate in the other direction (carbon a conductor, electric field, stuff lol)

The particle physics at the end was very nice. Probably the best question on the paper.

Charge Conserved
Momentum Conserved
Baryon Number Conserved (all mesons, so... Baryon number is conserved!)

I think I got the rest pretty well down, but you never know really. Thinking roughly anywhere from 45-62 marks for me!

First multi choice question I think was weight, simply because the definition on newtons second law is "the rate of change of momentum of an object is directly proportional to the resultant force that acts on the object"

Took a wild guess at the flux linkage.

same like me but well dont worry about the ans u cut because they do check it if u havent written anything else for it after !
Reply 565
Am I the only one that found that paper a piece of cake??
how were we supposed to show the height was 0.8 in that
question about the racket and the ball?
first thing we had to show v = 0.8 .. it was pretty simple .. just use the eq 1/2mv2 = mgh ... find v .. u get 0.77
Reply 568
Original post by confuzzled92
how were we supposed to show the height was 0.8 in that
question about the racket and the ball?

1/2mv^2 = mgh
Reply 569
Original post by Gakama

hopefully
Original post by Gakama

Original post by Gakama

I hope you are joking.
I didn't think the paper was awful, but I didn't think it was amazing either. The spreadsheet question was a joke - so many marks for that... I don't think I got it right, the E thing confused me too much.
Original post by C. Nworb

Original post by C. Nworb
"Question 18 continues on the next page" kind of gave it away for me...

what was the last part of question 18? Just to check I did it all. I turned over the page if that helps...
Original post by black-chaos-master

Original post by black-chaos-master
It was inelastic for me .. even though they were very close to be equal .. they werent actually equall ...

I agree
For preventing the ion from moving vertically, what did you guys write?
I wrote that the force from the electric field balances its weight ( which I'm pretty sure is wrong )
Original post by EAV
1/2mv^2 = mgh

But the mass of the ball and the racket was not given. Or were we to assume they were equal?
Original post by cpdavis

Original post by cpdavis
I felt it was a much harder paper, but think I did better then I did in Jan

I hate jelly now

the spreadsheet question was hard

the capacitance one I did that wrong, and the very first formula I didn't prove in time

Really liked the last question

the collisions one, I might have dropped 3 marks

The V/t graph, I only got it at the end, spoke about acceleration of the field and when it's going back the force opposing the force, therefore a deceleration

overall, boundaries will drop

for an A* I think 55/56

again I agree with you, as I did on the Mechanics thread... wow this paper was a real curve ball :/

For preventing the ion from moving vertically, what did you guys write?
I wrote that the force from the electric field balances its weight ( which I'm pretty sure is wrong )

I wrote that the field caused it to be held in place as it was repelling from both positive sides, and attracting equally from both negative sides so that held it in place. Did you say that force was going towards the centre of its orbit in the first part of the question, saying that was its centripetal force keeping it in circular motion? Fleming's LHR and all...
But the mass of the ball and the racket was not given. Or were we to assume they were equal?

They were given, the bat was 320g and the ball was 55g
Reply 579
Original post by cpdavis
I felt it was a much harder paper, but think I did better then I did in Jan

I hate jelly now

the spreadsheet question was hard

the capacitance one I did that wrong, and the very first formula I didn't prove in time

Really liked the last question

the collisions one, I might have dropped 3 marks

The V/t graph, I only got it at the end, spoke about acceleration of the field and when it's going back the force opposing the force, therefore a deceleration

overall, boundaries will drop

for an A* I think 55/56

I think 4 the V-T graph... it getss charged induced at one end.... accelerates to the other end.... touches it and gets discharged.... but gets induced with that plates charge.... so it repelled from it and again gets accelerated to the initial plate--- the reason why it is negative is because it is moving in the opposite direction to initial (taken as positive)....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending