The Student Room Group

Edexcel Physics Unit 4 - 21st June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DHSN
i think u have to use 3pp 10 million on a mass of on sulphur... that would give something like 0.000009u.... so it rounds up to 0.00001u (what they asked)... LC. is hence 0.0001u

wow, thanks...u explained it nicely....
how did u find the rest of the sections?:smile:
lengthy paper though.
Original post by s2004060
Thank God someone points out that there was an increase in KE :banana:

I scrolled through the previous pages and no one mentioned that...

i got tht first, n then i felt like it ws a mistake, cancelled it n wrote a different one :mad:
for question 1 options i thught it was acceleration cuz:
F=mv/t
ma=mv/t
a=mv/mt
a=v/t
Found the paper tougher than previous years....hope edexcel lowers grade boundaries...probably lost abt 14-17 marks...there goes my A
Reply 603
Original post by aym3n
i love u for saying that.... i hope hope hope edexcel reads ur post and magic happens.... lol yes im not making sense .... and i blame the paper for it

I think everyone who finds a paper hard jumps on to student room to find out how bad they have done :P
I nearly guessed the Grade boundaries for unit 4 in january right. Hopefully these are right aswell

A*62
A 55
B 49
C 42
Reply 604
Original post by Vampire-Love4ever
Insha Allah. :smile:
Good luck, dear. <3

I.A guys, we can make this happen :biggrin:
Original post by Studentboii
I thought the paper was ok except for that spreadsheet question. Heres what i remember from it:
Mcqs Cant really remember the order :s-smilie:
1. Weight
2. loop contracts into a circle
3. time constant = seconds
4. Open the switch
5. 4*10^-4 Wb
6. Particle is moving closer to the speed of light
7. 10MeV/c^2
8. To collide hadrons
(im sure i missed some question :P)

Structured
Proof was easy i got that and the wavelength was 2.something *10^-11
describing the velocity time graph was easy - you just have to say it accelerates firsts and then accelerates in the opposite direction and why ( due to the resultant force acting on the ball because of the electric force it experiences in the field)
The speed of the bat after collision was 0.56m/s (if you used 0.8) or 0.52m/s (if you used 0.77). Even though the difference in the KEs was small - there was still a difference therefore - inelastic (from the students conclusion)
However - am i the only person who noticed that the final KE > initial KE ???? Thats why they asked the about the uncertainty of the student measurement of the height x - the students value was too big because final ke cannot be greater than initial KE - thats impossible because energy is lost during the collision as heat or sound)
Spreadsheet - i managed to prove the first part - couldnt do D5 but i proved E6 using s=ut+.5at^2
Max radius= 2.9*10^-14
Conclusions of Rutherford expt - i think everyone knew this :P
The jelly question with the graph - it was a straight line and you have to find the negative gradient. The constant was 0.00625cm^-1 (or 6.25m^-1) (of course there would be a range for this answer because it depends on your graph)
Particl physics question was simple - for the conservation i guess you can talk about any 3 of 6 things that are conserved : Charge, Mass/Energy, Baryon Number, Lepton Number,Strangeness and Momentum
For the question with sulphur - the change in mass was 0.00233u or something which was much greater than the least count of the trap (0.00001u) therefore it can be measured
Sorry if i missed out something :smile:

open the switch? well, the ques ws how to induce current in the same direction as x, so opening the switch will induce current in the opposite direction, ryt, :s-smilie: oh well, jst a thought..
2 mcg's were, um...1)rate of change of momentum is directly proportional to _______

cant remember the last 1 though.:colondollar:
Original post by allow2dking007
for question 1 options i thught it was acceleration cuz:
F=mv/t
ma=mv/t
a=mv/mt
a=v/t
Found the paper tougher than previous years....hope edexcel lowers grade boundaries...probably lost abt 14-17 marks...there goes my A

exactly :smile: hence rate of change of momentum becomes proportional to acc

jst hope, the grade boundaries are LOWWWW!! :mad:
Original post by prince_s9
I think everyone who finds a paper hard jumps on to student room to find out how bad they have done :P
I nearly guessed the Grade boundaries for unit 4 in january right. Hopefully these are right aswell

A*62
A 55
B 49
C 42

I think the boundaries will be much lower from the reaction so far ...
Reply 608
This paper was so bad! :frown: I did it in Jan and resat yesterday- Jan's paper was amazingg compared to yesterday's. There was barely any particle physics questions other than the last one.. I got an increase in KE as well for the bat/ball question so i was quite confused but i just said that their measurement of x was too large. And i couldn't do any of the spreadsheet question other than the Rutherford part.. I got confused with the E cuz i thought it was Electric field strength so i was trying to do E=F/Q but nothing was working -.- I really hope the grade boundaries are low! I messed up the paper quite badly...
Reply 609
Original post by Studentboii
I thought the paper was ok except for that spreadsheet question. Heres what i remember from it:
Mcqs Cant really remember the order :s-smilie:
1. Weight
2. loop contracts into a circle
3. time constant = seconds
4. Open the switch
5. 4*10^-4 Wb
6. Particle is moving closer to the speed of light
7. 10MeV/c^2
8. To collide hadrons
(im sure i missed some question :P)

What was the MCQ answer for the banked road and the car on top?
Also I only took 20% capacitance and calculated its work done. And my speed answer came out wrong too because I took one of the Vs as negative. How many marks would I lose up for the followup qs that came after it?
For the question we had to prove the velocity as 0.8, I got smthing 0.83
as I did:

ma=mv^2/r
and KE was not conserved as the initial KE was smthing 0.11 and final was 0.13 as far as I remember.
:\

Did anyone else got the same :frown:
Original post by sciencefreak00
For the question we had to prove the velocity as 0.8, I got smthing 0.83
as I did:

ma=mv^2/r
and KE was not conserved as the initial KE was smthing 0.11 and final was 0.13 as far as I remember.
:\

Did anyone else got the same :frown:

That one, I did KE=PE and then rearranged to find v
surely the teeeeeeny change in KE means they were conserved? it wasnt a perfect exp.... :s-smilie:

alsoo...

monday to look forward to y'all...

THREAD FOR UNIT 5:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32374244#post32374244

lets doooo it!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Unit 5 :party:
what did people do for the capacitor question, plus 20% charge over -20% voltage ????
Reply 615
Original post by Courage Wolf
what did people do for the capacitor question, plus 20% charge over -20% voltage ????

im pretty sure it said the capacitance uncertainty was +/-20%. so if you did the uncertainty in the voltage, i think that would be wrong.
Original post by hbaderman
im pretty sure it said the capacitance uncertainty was +/-20%. so if you did the uncertainty in the voltage, i think that would be wrong.

did the question specifically say there was only uncertainty in the capacitance and not the voltage, i can't remember
Reply 617
Original post by purplebrainz
surely the teeeeeeny change in KE means they were conserved? it wasnt a perfect exp.... :s-smilie:

alsoo...

monday to look forward to y'all...

THREAD FOR UNIT 5:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32374244#post32374244

lets doooo it!!

that's what I put... I think you were supposed to say elastic (obviously not perfectly since this is practically impossible) and then the question right after that was for you to realise what factors did not make it 'perfectly' elastic

the second part tried to catch people who had written elastic before....so when they read the second part, they change their previous answer to inelastic
Reply 618
Original post by Courage Wolf
did the question specifically say there was only uncertainty in the capacitance and not the voltage, i can't remember

'capacitance uncertainty' im 99% sure that's the wording they used
Original post by 20100
that's what I put... I think you were supposed to say elastic (obviously not perfectly since this is practically impossible) and then the question right after that was for you to realise what factors did not make it 'perfectly' elastic

the second part tried to catch people who had written elastic before....so when they read the second part, they change their previous answer to inelastic

ahh thank you, beauty!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: phew, i agreeeee

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending