The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex: Ask A Student Thread / Information Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
I'm starting English and French Law at Essex this year and I had a few questions about life there.

- I've heard about the Cheerleading team, does anyone know if you can still join it even though you've never done cheerleading before? And also, is it a nice and open team?

- I'm staying in South Courts, Manningtree Court (sub-block MAC HOUSE 1) and would like to know if someone has been in this part of South Courts and how it was

- Last but not least, I have no idea when I should pay for my tuition fees as it's not indicated anywhere so if anyone knows about the deadlines for both tuition fees and accommodation fees I'd like to hear about it

Thanks to anyone with informations about all that :^_^:
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by MayTbs
I'm starting English and French Law at Essex this year and I had a few questions about life there.

- I've heard about the Cheerleading team, does anyone know if you can still join it even though you've never done cheerleading before? And also, is it a nice and open team?

- I'm staying in South Courts, Manningtree Court (sub-block MAC HOUSE 1) and would like to know if someone has been in this part of South Courts and how it was

- Last but not least, I have no idea when I should pay for my tuition fees as it's not indicated anywhere so if anyone knows about the deadlines for both tuition fees and accommodation fees I'd like to hear about it

Thanks to anyone with informations about all that :^_^:

Most Essex Blades Team's you can join no matter what you're ability. All sports host taster sessions during the first couple of weeks and you can visit their stand at the Fresher's Fair.
Can't be specific about Cheerleading, but in general all the teams are lovely and supportive.

I stayed in South Courts (Harwich 6). Best year of my life. I'm living with most of my housemates again in my second year.
Really close to a launderette and campus, but far enough away to be your own space. Close to a car park and the sport center too.
Unfortunately, your experience will depend on who you get as flat/housemates, but the actual South Court Accommodation is probably the best ton campus.
I have no complaints.

Tuition fees will be paid automatically once you register during Fresher's week. Don't stress about these.
Accommodation fees are due every term and are usually due at the end of October, January and March. Specific date should come in a email or be listed on your MyEssex portal.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Jess CB
Hi, I applied for accommodation early march and still haven't received an offer, is this normal?

You tend to not get a offer until your place at the University is confirmed.
I got mine at 10am on Results Day.
Could u tell me about the acting program?
Reply 884
Original post by Cleopatra Eight
Most Essex Blades Team's you can join no matter what you're ability. All sports host taster sessions during the first couple of weeks and you can visit their stand at the Fresher's Fair.
Can't be specific about Cheerleading, but in general all the teams are lovely and supportive.

I stayed in South Courts (Harwich 6). Best year of my life. I'm living with most of my housemates again in my second year.
Really close to a launderette and campus, but far enough away to be your own space. Close to a car park and the sport center too.
Unfortunately, your experience will depend on who you get as flat/housemates, but the actual South Court Accommodation is probably the best ton campus.
I have no complaints.

Tuition fees will be paid automatically once you register during Fresher's week. Don't stress about these.
Accommodation fees are due every term and are usually due at the end of October, January and March. Specific date should come in a email or be listed on your MyEssex portal.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your reply, helps me being a bit less stressed but I still don't get how tuition fees get paid automatically? I mean, I didn't get any student loan in the UK so shouldn't I pay them myself?
Hi, i'm going to be studying Computer Game Programming (Bcs) at Colchester Campus. What's the political diversity like at Essex?
Original post by Influentik
Hi, i'm going to be studying Computer Game Programming (Bcs) at Colchester Campus. What's the political diversity like at Essex?

everyone is on the left apart from like 10 people
Original post by YeFool
everyone is on the left apart from like 10 people

Original post by Influentik

There are societies for the main political parties (and UKIP) but i dont know how popular they are
Reply 888
What happens if you haven't been given an accommodation offer at this point? I applied the day after results day and I haven't heard back but people who has applied after me have gotten their places.
same issue with myself
Original post by S.olk
What happens if you haven't been given an accommodation offer at this point? I applied the day after results day and I haven't heard back but people who has applied after me have gotten their places.

Original post by bobbybeans
same issue with myself

Look for other accommodation. However, do not rule out the possibility that you might still get accommodation; my place at Essex was confirmed on 31st August last year and I applied for accommodation on 7th September (after the accommodation deadline), yet I managed to get an accommodation offer on 27th September. As far as I remember from last year, you are guaranteed accommodation if you apply by a certain date, and given that you applied so early, they should probably give you an accommodation place. :smile:
Reply 891
which bank is the best for international student at essex?
Hey, I'm starting Computer Science this year. Does anyone know what IDE editor is used for Python programming?
Hi,can anyone help me with the online registration. It asks for your Essex Username which I have not been given. I tried to use my PRID but it did not work. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you :smile:
Reply 894
Hey, try using this link https://www1.essex.ac.uk/it/getaccount/
Use the first part (retrieve university login) not the second
(edited 5 years ago)
@Michiyo, perhaps you could assist with the above query.:smile:
I've added this thread to my HUGE list of similar threads where you can find help and advice from current and former students of loads of universities and courses.
Original post by H-Bhatti
Hi,can anyone help me with the online registration. It asks for your Essex Username which I have not been given. I tried to use my PRID but it did not work. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you :smile:

Check your email again. If it was not sent to you yet, call the IT support desk. The same thing happened to me last year and I had to call for them to give me my username. :laugh:

Original post by 04MR17
@Michiyo, perhaps you could assist with the above query.:smile:

Done :h:
the tickets for the uv neon party has sold out, is there a way that i can still get in for an example paying the money upfront when i reach the club
Hello i have a question about wifi at accommodation, on uni website it says you have to register for wifi and it says its free. So i click on the link to register but it says that wifi either costs 4 pounds a month or a 30 pound on off payment. Im just wondering whether ill have to buy this or not. Also how do I make sure the wifi works in my room. Do i get a username and password to log into wifi or something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending