The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yawn
You and I are saying nothing new, these aspects have been covered time and again on various threads of this forum. I shall however repeat, for your benefit that the licensee of premises holds the license provided they abide by the regulations. If the regulations are varied because of the implementation of a smoking ban, the landlord/landlady will loose their license if they flout the regulations. It has happened in other countries where smoking bans are implemented and it would happen here.

I agree. The reason for me wanting to support the total ban is not to stop owners having their rights but to improve peoples (everyones not just passive smokers) health.. after all thats the reason for the ban!! Well at least, thats MY reason for wanting it. (As yawn said before in the previous posts which i completely agree with).
On the point above though, they do have to abide by regulations and if its a regulation to have no smoking, then thats the way the cookie crumbles for them. Its not like they are going to lose business, maybe temporarily but on the longterm i seriously doubt so!
DanGrover
Alexandra, none of us are in a position to actually legislate any of these opinions, but I think it's a given that, if you support an idea which forces it's ideals upon someone, then you are forcing you're ideals on someone. Just as much as we - your opposition - are enforcing our view onto people. Our view, however, is that the property owners should have total choice as to what occurs of their property, so I think it would be stretching the term "enforcing" a bit too far to be legitimate.

What you are saying is that the "right" of people to go out and have a good time is, on this issue, more important than the (actually legitimate) rights of property owners (that I didn't just make up and put in inverted commas) to chose what legal activities occur on their own property, when all their patrons are entirely aware of the rules and consciously decided to enter the cafe/bar/wherever?

Why does everyone keep changing what im saying! Did i say my right to "go out and have a good time" is greater than the "rights of a property owner"? Cause i dont ever remember saying that! What im saying and have said in numerous posts over and over again (and as yawn has clearly said what i wanted to say but couldnt say well) was that im concerned over the health issue and EVERYONES right to breathe healthily hence LIVE wherever they go! By saying that owners rights are more important, is actually seriously undermining our lives. If the government says they dont want any drugs (hard) in any place, would the owners still continue to sell them/give them out or whatver because they feel that the government is imposing a policy on them to harm them? I dont think so.
And cafe owners dont really have many rights concerning choosing what legal activities they want for their cafe do they? On this please explain because im unaware of cases in the uk
alexandra010588
Why does everyone keep changing what im saying! Did i say my right to "go out and have a good time" is greater than the "rights of a property owner"? Cause i dont ever remember saying that! What im saying and have said in numerous posts over and over again (and as yawn has clearly said what i wanted to say but couldnt say well) was that im concerned over the health issue and EVERYONES right to breathe healthily hence LIVE wherever they go!

But you're including private property on your list - pubs, clubs, cafes, etc. If you don't want to go to a smoky environment, don't go to a cafe which allows people to smoke. Why is that not a viable solution? Everyone who DOES go there are doing so out of their own free will.

By saying that owners rights are more important, is actually seriously undermining our lives.

If you were FORCED to go to these pubs and cafes then yes, i'd agree with you, but you aren't. Go to a non-smoking one or don't go to any at all. Stay in your own home or go somewhere public (where i agree smoking should be banned), but your right to go to a cafe free from smoke - aka your right to go out and have fun, or receive a service from someone else - is not more important than the rights of the property owners. If you didn't like the type of chairs they had at a cafe and it had the ugliest wallpaper in the world, they would be things that would make you not want to go there, because you have free will. How is smoking any different? Just because it harms your health? So what? It's still your choice. You can still choose to be entirely unaffected by it, should you wish.

If the government says they dont want any drugs (hard) in any place, would the owners still continue to sell them/give them out or whatver because they feel that the government is imposing a policy on them to harm them? I dont think so.

IF?! Hard drugs are illegal. This argument always gets brought up, Yawn did too, and I don't understand it. You're saying if the government made smoking - like hard drugs - illegal, then no pubs would allow it. Well, of course. If they made lilac wallpaper illegal, i'm so no pubs would do that, either. I don't understand how this backs up your view that the rights of property owners should be lessened for the benefit of those will the free will to avoid that what they want banned already.

And cafe owners dont really have many rights concerning choosing what legal activities they want for their cafe do they? On this please explain because im unaware of cases in the uk

They could ban playing board games, shishas, eating bacon, carrying keys, anything. They can allow or disallow any legal activities that they wish. If you didn't want to go to a cafe where you couldn't play Scrabble, then you wouldn't go to a cafe that has banned board games. If you don't like smoking, don't go to a cafe which allows smoking. Why is this setup we have right now not workable?
Hmm...I just thought I'd come and give my two cents. I think smoking should be banned everwhere. If people want to give themselves lung cancer then that's their choice. But smoking in public increases the risk to other people...However, if peole can still smoke in their own homes, then they're still increasing the chances of their friends and family getting lung cancer...who knows, their family may include a young child they're hardly going to complain against it, yet it will still be damaging their health.

--------------

Btw-I think those rooms made of glass they have in Airports are kinda good-The one i saw you couldn't see inside due to all the smoke and the only people in their were smokers killing each other.
yes
DanGrover
But you're including private property on your list - pubs, clubs, cafes, etc. If you don't want to go to a smoky environment, don't go to a cafe which allows people to smoke. Why is that not a viable solution? Everyone who DOES go there are doing so out of their own free will.

If all cafes allowed people to smoke (which in Cy they all do!) then where does that leave non-smokers? Should we be forced to sit outside on the pavement because smokers want to do whatever they want to? Yes we choose to go in there, but what if some of our friends are smokers and we go into a cafe and they start smoking, why should we be forced to breathe in that rubbish? We shouldnt, its plain as that!

This argument always gets brought up, Yawn did too, and I don't understand it. You're saying if the government made smoking - like hard drugs - illegal, then no pubs would allow it. Well, of course. If they made lilac wallpaper illegal, i'm so no pubs would do that, either. I don't understand how this backs up your view that the rights of property owners should be lessened for the benefit of those will the free will to avoid that what they want banned already.

Why dont you get the argument? Its quite simple really. If the gov told the owners that there was a total ban on smoking then that would be it. Yep sure they wont like it initially but i think they'd get used to the idea, just like with hard drugs or with lilac wallpaper. So banning it completely there wouldnt be as big a problem as you make it out to be!

--------------

lazydays
Hmm...I just thought I'd come and give my two cents. I think smoking should be banned everwhere. If people want to give themselves lung cancer then that's their choice. But smoking in public increases the risk to other people...However, if peole can still smoke in their own homes, then they're still increasing the chances of their friends and family getting lung cancer...who knows, their family may include a young child they're hardly going to complain against it, yet it will still be damaging their health.

--------------

Btw-I think those rooms made of glass they have in Airports are kinda good-The one i saw you couldn't see inside due to all the smoke and the only people in their were smokers killing each other.

Agree completely!
alexandra010588
If all cafes allowed people to smoke (which in Cy they all do!) then where does that leave non-smokers? Should we be forced to sit outside on the pavement because smokers want to do whatever they want to? Yes we choose to go in there, but what if some of our friends are smokers and we go into a cafe and they start smoking, why should we be forced to breathe in that rubbish? We shouldnt, its plain as that!

So you are saying that your right to go out with your friends and have a good time is more important than the rights of private property owners? And you're not forced to sit outside. It's your own hang-up and choice that is making you stay outside. Again, how is it different to a certain colour wallpaper? If everyone disliked a certain wallpaper colour, would you back a government banning of certain colour wallpaper in your private property?

Why dont you get the argument? Its quite simple really. If the gov told the owners that there was a total ban on smoking then that would be it. Yep sure they wont like it initially but i think they'd get used to the idea, just like with hard drugs or with lilac wallpaper. So banning it completely there wouldnt be as big a problem as you make it out to be!

But that argument can be applied to absolutely everything, and it's not a justification for it. If the government banned kettles, everyone would moan but eventually get on with their lives, boiling water in pans. That doesn't mean banning kettles is a good idea.
alexandra010588

You have still not addressed the problem of the owners rights to his/her own property and the fact that by any given legal measure, cafes are private property. This is not about you being to able to sit with your friends in a smoke-free environment; it's about the right that the owners have to dictate what goes on in thier own property.
Reply 188
DanGrover

IF?! Hard drugs are illegal. This argument always gets brought up, Yawn did too, and I don't understand it. You're saying if the government made smoking - like hard drugs - illegal, then no pubs would allow it.

I have never mentioned hard drugs in my quest for rationality regarding the smoking ban debate! I don't need to clutch at any straws since the crux is sufficiently strong to stand alone on its own merits.

OK - since you seem to give greater credence to proprietors being able to instil their own provisions you need to look at the wider picture.

We live in very litigious times. Pubs/clubs/cafes employ staff to run the venues. Employers have a duty of care to their staff under the Health and Safety legislation. Employees whose health is disadvantaged because of working practices can claim against both the state (by way of industrial injuries law) and individual employers by way of seeking compensation for exposing them to known carcinogenics.

Seeking to impose total bans on smoking in places, apart from one's own home (and even here there are the same potential implications) is to negate the risk of litigation and compensation in addition to improving the health of the nation.

These facts alone must override any lesser considerations of so-called 'rights' since they are of much greater importance to the 'good' of the nation.

Continuing the line of debate that you seek to bring to prominence is a 'no-winner'.
Reply 189
yawn
I have never mentioned hard drugs in my quest for rationality regarding the smoking ban debate! I don't need to clutch at any straws since the crux is sufficiently strong to stand alone on its own merits.

OK - since you seem to give greater credence to proprietors being able to instil their own provisions you need to look at the wider picture.

We live in very litigious times. Pubs/clubs/cafes employ staff to run the venues. Employers have a duty of care to their staff under the Health and Safety legislation. Employees whose health is disadvantaged because of working practices can claim against both the state (by way of industrial injuries law) and individual employers by way of seeking compensation for exposing them to known carcinogenics.

Seeking to impose total bans on smoking in places, apart from one's own home (and even here there are the same potential implications) is to negate the risk of litigation and compensation in addition to improving the health of the nation.

These facts alone must override any lesser considerations of so-called 'rights' since they are of much greater importance to the 'good' of the nation.

Continuing the line of debate that you seek to bring to prominence is a 'no-winner'.
spot ****ing on
yawn

I smell bull...

Shouldn't the owner be able to employ any staff they want, smoker or non-smoker, whoever is willing to take the job? If the employee is there by choice and knows the risk of passive smoking, if the employee does not want to work under these conditions, they do not have to be there. No one is forcing employees to work at said establishment; they're there because the advantages of the job outweigh the disadvantages.

yawn

Whilst ignoring property rights...

yawn

So rights can be negated for the "good of the nation"?

yawn

I beg to differ. The line you're treading is an interesting one; you seek the oppression of a minority for the good of the masses. Very dangerous.
Reply 191
alexandra010588
Smoking affects others not just the consumers where as eating fatty foods affects just that persons health

"its helping people not putting them at an unfair disadvatange"

Your response doesnt seem to be exactly in keeping with the question.

Is a ban that "seems dictatorial" necessary because you want to stop people smoking or because you want smokers to stop others smoking passively?

If you want to prevent people from doing harm to themselves then the fatty foods comparison applies and Id expect a response.

If you want to prevent passive smoking, then we return to the argument already made: who has the right to decide who may smoke on private property other than the landlord or owner? You cant split the private domain, either smoking policy remains at the discretion of the owner or smoking is banned outright in all homes.
Vienna

You cant split the private domain

Interesting. Why not?
englishstudent
Interesting. Why not?

Because a compromise is hypocrisy. Compromise is not a virute.
ForeverIsMyName
Because a compromise is hypocrisy. Compromise is not a virute.

0/10. :rolleyes:
Reply 195
englishstudent
Interesting. Why not?

Because you have to tell me where and why my rights end. If the state has the right to intervene then its the public domain. If its the private domain, please explain to me what is protecting me as a private individual from state interference? Its the equivalent of trying to applying habeus corpus only half of the time.
Vienna
Because you have to tell me where and why my rights end.

Well there are laws which are waived to some extent. There could be a compromise. How about a ban in pubs (linked to licensing laws perhaps) whilst allowing people to smoke in their private homes.

Vienna
Its the equivalent of trying to applying habeus corpus only half of the time.

A rather unfortunate parallel to be drawn by such an ardent supporter of the Bush administration if I may say so.
Vienna
"its helping people not putting them at an unfair disadvatange"

Your response doesnt seem to be exactly in keeping with the question.

Its not my fault the example you wanted me to answer doesnt keep with the question!

Is a ban that "seems dictatorial" necessary because you want to stop people smoking or because you want smokers to stop others smoking passively?

If you want to prevent people from doing harm to themselves then the fatty foods comparison applies and Id expect a response.

Smokers can do whatever they want, just like drug addicts, to their bodies. I care about people smoking passively. And whats up with the "id expect a response".. who are you to expect something from me? I never said i wasnt going to answer your comments, so dont be dictatorial!

If you want to prevent passive smoking, then we return to the argument already made: who has the right to decide who may smoke on private property other than the landlord or owner? You cant split the private domain, either smoking policy remains at the discretion of the owner or smoking is banned outright in all homes.

Why not? Course you can say that people are only allowed to smoke at home, full stop! So are you saying that the owner knows best? Cause if thats the case then i seriously beg to differ: if that was the case then everyone could do whatever they wanted couldn't they? Then what would happen?
Reply 198
englishstudent
Well there are laws which are waived to some extent. There could be a compromise. How about a ban in pubs (linked to licensing laws perhaps) whilst allowing people to smoke in their private homes.

So should the state get to decide when your rights to private ownership apply and where they end, on a whim?

A rather unfortunate parallel to be drawn by such an ardent supporter of the Bush administration if I may say so.

Of course, favouring a Bush presidency means I'm a satan worshipping warmonger. You should be concerned, because despite my evil ways, Im still doing more to protect individual freedoms than you.
Reply 199
Vienna
So should the state get to decide when your rights to private ownership apply and where they end, on a whim?
Are you not jumping the gun a bit V?

The state isn't confiscating private land and property, merely dictating how it may be used, as they have been doing since licensing laws, planning application and prohibition of illegal substances. Banning smoking in public places, whether privately owned or not, is no worse than not allowing an extension to be built, not allowing liquor sales at 5am, or proscribing the sale and use of heroin.

The state has dictated what's best for us for a long time. If you don't like it, you're eighty years too late.

Latest

Trending

Trending