The Student Room Group

I am confused. I don't know if I should go to University, please help!

Okay, I am planning to go to University in September, but now I'm really not sure If I should go. I am 22 (will be 23 at the start of term) and I haven't worked for nearly a year and half due to illness (severe depression/anxiety). I just feel like I haven't been out in the work place enough. It's not just that, but I keep thinking I've left it too late for Uni. I don't know whether I'll handle the work or not. I don't know if I should not bother and instead just start working, maybe try to start work in the music business and work my way up. I would like to be a performer/musician, but I haven't done anything about it. The thing is, If I want to get my music career on track (no pun) then I need to find a producer etc. Anyway, I'm going off track now. I'm just not sure about going to University. It would be good for me to get a degree, it would feel like I've achieved something worthwhile. Also, it would help my social life, because at the moment, I don't have much of a social life to be honest. I just don't know what to do, I'm so confused right now. Any advice?
Reply 1
nah mate I went to uni when I was 29 (turned 30 first semester) no problems
Original post by UPPSY

Original post by UPPSY
nah mate I went to uni when I was 29 (turned 30 first semester) no problems

Okay, cool cool. Did you stay in accommodation? Shared housing?
What degree have you applied for? Just wondering because that could help you with your future career in music if it's music related. Even if it's not related, you will aquire some key skills that employers from every field will find valuable for employment.

None of us will be able to tell you what's best, only you can figure that out, but I can give you some food for thought.
My dad has just turned 45, and he's currently doing a degree at University, while also being self employed, and he's doing brilliantly, he also has some mental health issues, so please don't let that hold you back. There's plenty the university can do to help and support you.

How do you know that you won't handle it until you try? You could always give it a go, and if it's not for you, see if you can drop out at the end of year 1/2 and leave with a Certificate/Diploma. Failing that, talk to some students already on the programme or fellow mature students.

Whether you decide to go to uni or not, it's always good to have a back-up plan. It's possible that you could try and get into the music business, and then regret not having been to uni.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
A degree is useful to have even if it is not directly related to want you want to afterwards as many employers like the skills that you pick up such as the ability to think at an advanced level, problem solving, meeting deadlines, doing presentations and teamworking.
Original post by SelfDestruction01

Okay, I am planning to go to University in September, but now I'm really not sure If I should go. I am 22 (will be 23 at the start of term) and I haven't worked for nearly a year and half due to illness (severe depression/anxiety). I just feel like I haven't been out in the work place enough. It's not just that, but I keep thinking I've left it too late for Uni. I don't know whether I'll handle the work or not. I don't know if I should not bother and instead just start working, maybe try to start work in the music business and work my way up. I would like to be a performer/musician, but I haven't done anything about it. The thing is, If I want to get my music career on track (no pun) then I need to find a producer etc. Anyway, I'm going off track now. I'm just not sure about going to University. It would be good for me to get a degree, it would feel like I've achieved something worthwhile. Also, it would help my social life, because at the moment, I don't have much of a social life to be honest. I just don't know what to do, I'm so confused right now. Any advice?

My dad was doing a business degree when he was 54...but he did it from home.
I'm sure there are quite a few mature students sharing accomodation with 18-23 year olds.
Reply 6
Okay, cool cool. Did you stay in accommodation? Shared housing?

I went in to halls it was ok met some awesome guys and girls
Its not too late. Its never too late.... you are still young enough to get on well with younger starters, but your little bit of work and life experience will stand you in good stead too.

Change is scary... doing something new is scary... but its good
Ask yourself if you will regret it if you decide not to go.
By the time you have finished your degree, hopefully job prospects will be better generally (its what I'm hoping)

On the flip side, it really is never too late, so if you decide you are not ready yet, of course you can still reapply and do it in the future.
You have to do what is best for you, and only you know that.
Reply 8
Never too late! My mum is in her late 30s and she's doing a Nursing degree.

You're a lot younger and you have years ahead of you. If you do start University and decide it's not for you, you can leave it another year. Good luck!
It's never too late to start a degree, but I'd say if you're having doubts, don't go. It's a waste of time and money if you're not commited to your course.
If you think your too old and won't fit in look at this old gal ...
http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/08/02/us-australia-masters-idUSSYD3300820070802

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending