The Student Room Group

Entry Requirements

Hello,

I am currently in year 12 and I do 3 BTEC National Certificate- Applied Law, Applied Psychology, and Health and social Care. I was wondering if I am able to apply to any universities because I want to go to a university but I am worried as most universIties ask for A-levels as well. Please help me out.
Most universities accept btec nationals if the subjects are suitable for their courses. What do you want to study? Do you have any idea what range of results you’re likely to get?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Most universities accept btec nationals if the subjects are suitable for their courses. What do you want to study? Do you have any idea what range of results you’re likely to get?

I want to do Law or Law and business relations.
My predicted grades currently are:
Applied Law- D (equivalent to a A)
Applied Psychology- D (equivalent to a A)
Health and Social Care- D (equivalent to a A*)
Original post by janjantime

Have you visited any universities yet?
Looked on UCAS/university websites to see if they accept BTECs for their law degrees?

As @PQ has advised you the choice of BTEC can have a major bearing on whether universities will accept you. Generally nearly all universities accept BTEC. Some London ones dont but nearly everywhere else does. The problem you will come across is some universities will not regard Health and Social as an appropriate academic subject. For that reason and the fact that you are taking smaller BTECS rather than an extended diploma you are going to need to contact each university to find out whether they will accept your subjects. It is likely some will accept this range but others wont so you need to undertake full research before applying.
Here is an example Exeter accept BTECs without A LEVEL and without any subject restrictions but you might need a slightly higher grade

BTEC D*DD-DDD subject requirement n/a

Bristol has subject limitations

Some of our courses have specific criteria that must be met in a particular academic subject to ensure students thrive on the course. Where this can be met with modules in the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma these will be listed in the prospectus or detailed in the lists below.

For some courses we require an additional A-level or offer an additional admissions test as an alternative way to meet a subject requirement. This will be detailed on the prospectus course page.

Currently, the only BTEC subjects with sufficient content to be considered essay-based for admissions purposes are Applied Law and Children’s Play, Learning and Development.
Reply 6
Hello,

I am currently in year 12 and I do 3 BTEC National Certificate- Applied Law, Applied Psychology, and Health and social Care. I was wondering if I am able to apply to any universities because I want to go to a university but I am worried as most universIties ask for A-levels as well. Please help me out.

I am currently in the same boat as you , Isn't it great to come across your own kind , yes you will be able to get into university most of them too, doing these subjects means you have a wider understanding of the field and is quite interesting those combination of subjects, i am doing law , business and IT i only enjoy law to be fair i was planning on switching to your courses but tech is advancing so yh. I have a feeling we both go to the same school, ctk by any chance ?
Reply 7
I went to a couple of universities and they accept them but they always say depending on their circumstances or always something that makes me doubt how much they mean it. UCAS helps but I’ve contacted universities and they say different information so I am just confused these days.

Original post by PQ
Have you visited any universities yet?
Looked on UCAS/university websites to see if they accept BTECs for their law degrees?
Reply 8
I’ll definitely check them out, thank you very much! 👐

Original post by swanseajack1
As @PQ has advised you the choice of BTEC can have a major bearing on whether universities will accept you. Generally nearly all universities accept BTEC. Some London ones dont but nearly everywhere else does. The problem you will come across is some universities will not regard Health and Social as an appropriate academic subject. For that reason and the fact that you are taking smaller BTECS rather than an extended diploma you are going to need to contact each university to find out whether they will accept your subjects. It is likely some will accept this range but others wont so you need to undertake full research before applying.
Reply 9
OMG! It’s nice to meet you too!

I was actually quite confused picking subjects, I only enjoy Law so far as well, I did want to do history a level but it was too late to change subjects. So now I’m stuck, but I’m glad to know there are other people who are in the same position as me. Unfortunately, I don’t go to ctk- I go to RR6.

Original post by DO16_DNE
I am currently in the same boat as you , Isn't it great to come across your own kind , yes you will be able to get into university most of them too, doing these subjects means you have a wider understanding of the field and is quite interesting those combination of subjects, i am doing law , business and IT i only enjoy law to be fair i was planning on switching to your courses but tech is advancing so yh. I have a feeling we both go to the same school, ctk by any chance ?
Hello,

Hiya! :hello:

I am a second year student at De Montfort University ( we are based in Leicester) just thought I should let you know that we accept BTEC's as entry requirements. :smile: By following the thread I see you have an interest in pursuing Law or Law and business relations. :smartass: Here is a link to our undergraduate Law course which accepts BTEC's as long as you meet the requirements.

Here are the requirements

BTEC National Diploma - Distinction/Distinction/Merit

or

BTEC Extended Diploma - Distinction/Distinction/Merit

But please also do look on the website (the link attached above)

If you are unsure / and want to double check universities should have an admissions contact info for their university and you can always give them a call / email if you also want them to verbally confirm. Here is DMU's incase you are interested

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: (+44) 0116 207 8443

Hope this helps, and please leave a message if you have any further questions
-Maddie,:heart: second year health and well-being student at De Montfort University
Reply 11
OMG! It’s nice to meet you too!

I was actually quite confused picking subjects, I only enjoy Law so far as well, I did want to do history a level but it was too late to change subjects. So now I’m stuck, but I’m glad to know there are other people who are in the same position as me. Unfortunately, I don’t go to ctk- I go to RR6.

How are you finding your subjects by the way , i kinda wanna switch to those subjects i am nit enjoying business and IT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending