The Student Room Group

OCR statistics 3 23 june 2011

Wasn't a thread for it, assume numbers taking it are very low.

On the off chance you were just in this exam, how did you find it?
I found it quite good. There were a few tricky questions like the IQR and the conditional probability one... But they didn't seem to difficult to work through how to do them.

The rest I didn't find too difficult (Although on reading through at the end I forgot it was 5 cheeses not 4 for 4iii and so re-did it and making it wrong :angry: haha)
Reply 2
Cheeses? Must be a different exam, this wasn't the MEI one.

No-one seems to have done it...
Ahhh I see... Sorry!
Reply 4
Original post by Georg Cantor
Ahhh I see... Sorry!

No worries.
I took the exam, thought it was quite difficult compared to previous exams because there were fewer questions with 7+ marks which is what I'm best at! Not really confident with many of my answers, can you remember any of yours?
Reply 6
Original post by SuffolkPunch
I took the exam, thought it was quite difficult compared to previous exams because there were fewer questions with 7+ marks which is what I'm best at! Not really confident with many of my answers, can you remember any of yours?

Aye, there seemed to be less of the straight foward questions, and definelty not enough chi.

Can't remember my answers really, 0.95 comes to mind for a question, a=6/5 ( or 5/6) .... you remember many?
1) 22 and 56 (although ive been told the 56 was wrong because it should have been independent)
for the second part I think got them both as 3/2
I think I got a as 2/3 :/
I remember having 4/3 for the probabilty distribution of Y
think i had answers like 31/18 and 19/36 for somthing?
think i got n=150 for something
X^2 = 1.45 for p(x=6)
got roughly 4.5 for the last question
i think one of my confidence intervals was [0.017,0.134]
got the sample mean as 26.05 and a confidence interval of roughly [25.??,27.??]

Really struggling to remember, but like I said im not too confidence in any of those answers!
Reply 8
If you get the c.d.f and p.d.f wrong would you get ecf marks for E(2+2/x^2)?
Reply 9
Original post by SuffolkPunch
1) 22 and 56 (although ive been told the 56 was wrong because it should have been independent)
for the second part I think got them both as 3/2
I think I got a as 2/3 :/
I remember having 4/3 for the probabilty distribution of Y
think i had answers like 31/18 and 19/36 for somthing?
think i got n=150 for something
X^2 = 1.45 for p(x=6)
got roughly 4.5 for the last question
i think one of my confidence intervals was [0.017,0.134]
got the sample mean as 26.05 and a confidence interval of roughly [25.??,27.??]

Really struggling to remember, but like I said im not too confidence in any of those answers!

Hey guys, I took this exam today too. A have similar answers for the most part with the following additions:

1)(i) E[X] = Var(X) = 22, since there is no amplification involved.
(ii) Both equal 3/2
(iii) Both can be modelled by a poisson distribution (mean = variance)

5)(i) F(m) = 1/2... can't remember the exact answer.
(ii) Y = 1/(X^2) >> G(y) = 1/3(4y - 1) for 1/4 < y < 1
or G(y) = 0 for y<1/4, and G(y) = 1 for y>1.
Hence g(y) is 4/3 for 1/4 < y < 1, and zero otherwise.
(iii) I personally got 3/4 as my value for E[2+2X^-2] since I rewrote it as E[2+2Y], then solved the integral between 1 and 1/4 of (4/3)*(2+2y) dy

7(i) I put that two sample t test is not appropriate since each data subject / student gives two data values.
(ii) t(crit) = 3.250, t(calc) = 4.699. Hence reject Ho etc.
(iii) t(crit) = 3.250, t(calc) was 2 point something. Hence accept Ho >> insufficient evidence to support the claim.

Other random answers since I can't remember the question numbers:

PDF question:
a = 6/5
0.9, 0.95

Chi squared question:
The x=6 (or whatever value it was) contributed 1.45 to chi squared
Calculated chi squared was about 13, critical was about 15 so accept Ho and conclude that X~Po(3.47) fits the data well.

Confidence intervals:
[0.017,0.134]
[25.x,27.x]

I will edit this if I remember any more.
Hope this helps. :smile:
Andy
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah think I'd agree with most of them, disappointed that ive got the 'a' question completely wrong :/
One thing I added to 7iii is that if you tested at the 5% significance level you would support the claim.
Reply 11
Original post by AndyA93
Hey guys, I took this exam today too. A have similar answers for the most part with the following additions:

1)(i) E[X] = Var(X) = 22, since there is no amplification involved.
(ii) Both equal 3/2
(iii) Both can be modelled by a poisson distribution (mean = variance)

5)(i) F(m) = 1/2... can't remember the exact answer.
(ii) Y = 1/(X^2) >> G(y) = 1/3(4y - 1) for 1/4 < y < 1
or G(y) = 0 for y<1/4, and G(y) = 1 for y>1.
Hence g(y) is 4/3 for 1/4 < y < 1, and zero otherwise.
(iii) I personally got 3/4 as my value for E[2+2X^-2] since I rewrote it as E[2+2Y], then solved the integral between 1 and 1/4 of (4/3)*(2+2y) dy

7(i) I put that two sample t test is not appropriate since each data subject / student gives two data values.
(ii) t(crit) = 3.250, t(calc) = 4.699. Hence reject Ho etc.
(iii) t(crit) = 3.250, t(calc) was 2 point something. Hence accept Ho >> insufficient evidence to support the claim.

Other random answers since I can't remember the question numbers:

PDF question:
a = 6/5
0.9, 0.95

Chi squared question:
The x=6 (or whatever value it was) contributed 1.45 to chi squared
Calculated chi squared was about 13, critical was about 15 so accept Ho and conclude that X~Po(3.47) fits the data well.

Confidence intervals:
[0.017,0.134]
[25.x,27.x]

I will edit this if I remember any more.
Hope this helps. :smile:
Andy

From what I can remember of my answers, I think they were pretty much identical to these.

Whats the reckoning with how tough it was? I thought it was a bit harder than general past papers.
Anyone know if q6 (bmi question) requires x bar? For part i. I did xbar +\- z (Square root variance/n) for confidence interval but didnt use xbar for p(x>30) (part ii). Were we supposed to use xbar? And therefore divide the variance by n?

Oh and I think Q7 I got accept for part ii and reject for part iii. And I put that the 2nd test results are not independent from the first so the other t test can't be used :/.
Reply 13
Original post by 2 Love Learn
Anyone know if q6 (bmi question) requires x bar? For part i. I did xbar +\- z (Square root variance/n) for confidence interval but didnt use xbar for p(x>30) (part ii). Were we supposed to use xbar? And therefore divide the variance by n?

Oh and I think Q7 I got accept for part ii and reject for part iii. And I put that the 2nd test results are not independent from the first so the other t test can't be used :/.

no 1/n I think for part ii, I tested it, just to make sure, and got a ridicolus z value.
Original post by 2 Love Learn

If that was the question that ended on 'which test does/doesn't require normal distribution to be assumed' then I used x bar for part 1.
And then I put part 1 as answer to that question.

What was the n value for the deviating by less than 0.05 question? I think I got n=114 or 141 or something... But n=150 makes me think I made a mistake.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending