The Student Room Group

Decisions decisons!

I thought I'd be impatient but it seems like no time since I sent off my UCAS application and received my first offer!

The 3 offers I'm considering are: -

Northumbria to do English
Nottingham Trent to do Politics
East Anglia to do Politics

I know the former 2 are ex poly's but I've got a really good feeling about Northumbria. It's based in a superb city, the accomodation looks great and from their correspondences they seem to really want me. I know that may count for nothing at all (Some might say the uni is so bad they need every student they can get!) but it's just little things such as their aforementioned pleasant attitude that has drawn me to the place. Has anyone else applied there and felt the same?

On the contrary, Nottingham Trent seem really amateur. They sent me 2 copies of the 2003 prospectus a few months back (Never did receive that 2004 prospectus!), and their letters are unprofessional and inconclusive in my opinion. Unlike the other 2, I've received nothing about accomodation and they only mentioned 1 open day in their letter which I couldn't attend. Ultimately it's ideal because it's the easiest to get into and it's the nearest to home, but I'm disappointed in them thus far.

Then there's East Anglia, a uni which has really impressed me but it's 5 hours away by car and £100 return on the train. A superb uni of that there is no doubt, the sporting facilities really appeal to me as I'm a bit of a fitness nut. Has anyone who studies at Norwich or visited the place got an opinion which could be of use to me please? I need an excuse to pick the place over Nottingham :wink:

Sorry to bore you all with my personal tale as I'm sure a lot of you have got equally annoying dilemnas of your own, but I'm desperate for anything from anyone in the know :smile:
Reply 1
What are your A Level predictions?

I wouldnt advise going to a lower ranked uni to study English.
I have an English degree and believe me trying to get a gradjob is hellish English degrees are 10 a penny and you arent going to help yourself by getting it from a uni ranked 61 overall (sunday times ranking).
I realise that for English it does have a pretty good subject ranking 19 (Guardian)however most grad employers will be looking at the uni overall not the subject rating. I think its important to go the the best uni that you can get into these days because it will enhance your job prospects. Grad employers do look at which uni you go to so if you are after the really competitive grad jobs then I would consider this factor.
Reply 2
Cheers for your advice.

My A Level predictions are CCC but I think I'm capable of at least a grade up in each subject (History, Politics, Eng Lang).

Politics is a genuine interest but I am not inspired by Nottingham yet and Norwich, as mentioned previously, is a helluva long way to go and even for an independent trooper like me, it might be too much of a change. I don't even like mustard, although Alan Partridge is quite amusing :smile:
Reply 3
well if you really want to do English then go for it. I just know from experience that grad recruitment is pretty tough, you'd probably have better employment prospects doing politics to be honest unless there is a specific job you want to get into that requires English.

I've heard UEA is very good but if you dont want to move that far, dontgo you would only make yourself miserable.

I really dont know anything about the quality of Trent so I couldnt advise you there sorry. Where else have you applied?
Reply 4
viviki
well if you really want to do English then go for it. I just know from experience that grad recruitment is pretty tough, you'd probably have better employment prospects doing politics to be honest unless there is a specific job you want to get into that requires English.

I've heard UEA is very good but if you dont want to move that far, dontgo you would only make yourself miserable.

I really dont know anything about the quality of Trent so I couldnt advise you there sorry. Where else have you applied?

I'd go for UEA-its the only one that is likely to get you a job that will pay off your tuition fees...
go for UEA, the nottingham trent politics people are insane, whilst queueing for a cash machine this girl tells us we all have to vote for her because she is going to the next maggie thatcher, and that we all have to vote conservative(hah), and that she knew what she was talking about because she was doing a politics degree(as am i, so laughed inwardly muchly). she then proceeded to push in front of us and tried to put her card in first, when my friend pulled it out again she bit his hand, derranged woman.

so er yes dont go to trent :biggrin:

UEA seems like a pretty cool place, you'd have a good laugh there!

that said you've got quite a good chance of being able to transfer from trent to notts if you do well in the first year, would be something to consider
Reply 6
I'm in my first year at UEA, and absolutely love it here! I don;t know anyone doing politics though, so don't really know what the course is like, but if you want any info on the uni and Norwich, then pm me or write it on this thread and i'll be glad to try and answer for you!

As for going home, its a 3 hour drive home for me, and i got a student rail card free with my bank account that cuts the cost of the train from £40 to £25-30 (depending on how early I book), but it takes nearly 4 hours by the time i've got the tube round London and everything. I only went home once last semester, and don't really plan on going home this semester either (my parents are coming up to visit me here though one weekend). But if you're the type of person who gets homesick, then it might be an issue for you...
Reply 7
Im also at UEA in my first year, the person in the room next to me is studying history and politics, she really enjoys it. Im surprised though, that you'd get in with 3 C's, she has ABC.

I have to travel 2.5 hours to get here, it costs £18 for a single on the train, or about £10 each way in petrol.

The accommodation here is also excellent, supposedly the best in the country and the worst here is being replaced with a brand new block for the next academic year. You would undoubtedly have a good time here, it has a perfect mix of academic and layed-back atmospheres.
Reply 8
Cheers guys and girls.

I've come to the conclusion that I'd be stupid to turn down East Anglia so I'm accepting their offer. I'll go through clearing if I don't get BCC (Although fingers crossed I'll be ok). Northumbria is a similar offer to East Anglia so there's no point in having an insurance really as I've gone right off Nottingham Trent.

Chicken I'll be in touch about some information on Norwich in the near future if that's ok.
Reply 9
MatthewWxm
Cheers guys and girls.

I've come to the conclusion that I'd be stupid to turn down East Anglia so I'm accepting their offer. I'll go through clearing if I don't get BCC (Although fingers crossed I'll be ok). Northumbria is a similar offer to East Anglia so there's no point in having an insurance really as I've gone right off Nottingham Trent.

Chicken I'll be in touch about some information on Norwich in the near future if that's ok.

No probs :smile:
go to east anglia and see 'the finest football tean...the world has ever see.....ipswich town'
Reply 11
lgs98jonee
go to east anglia and see 'the finest football tean...the world has ever see.....ipswich town'

LOL...you've failed to notice that Norwich are abive Ipswich in division 1...

Latest

Trending

Trending