The Student Room Group

Leeds v Leicester

My son received an offer from Leicester today. He was on the wait list. He is also holding an offer at Leeds. We like Leeds as its reputation preceeds it but we like Leicester for its proximity to Nottingham (home).

Would really welcome peoples thoughts on Leeds v Leicester to help him make a decison before 8th June.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Taher.Adamjee
My son received an offer from Leicester today. He was on the wait list. He is also holding an offer at Leeds. We like Leeds as its reputation preceeds it but we like Leicester for its proximity to Nottingham (home).

Would really welcome peoples thoughts on Leeds v Leicester to help him make a decison before 8th June.

Thanks in advance

Hi!!
I'm a med student at Leeds, so can give you my point of view.
Leeds has a great and stimulating course so there's never a dull day. We have about 5-8 hours of in-person lectures a week (which can be done online too- so there's always the option available) followed by 5-6 hours of groupwork in small classes. In first year we cover many different modules including a biology/biomed one, body systems (cardio, resp etc...), a psychology one, a research paper one and various smaller modules like communication skills, ethics and law and a few others to do with teamwork etc...
You do a patient visit in the first term and then after christmas you start half a day of placement in both a GP and a hospital as well as anatomy classes (prosection...which i feel like is better for the actual learning of the anatomy in comparison to dissection). We also write 2 research papers in 1st year.
I also feel the support is pretty good at Leeds thanks to the small groupwork tutors and I know that support is always advertised so if i ever face a problem, i know where to go for help.
We don't really have many exams throughout the year. A few are used to pass the modules but they're quite simple. The only ones that REALLY count are the ones at the end of the year which cover ALL the content taught that year (2 of them on one day, and an anatomy spot check on another)... which means the 1st two terms aren't too intense but the last term definitely is. (eg. my friend that goes to another med school had to study for some important exams that counted towards her end of year grade throughout her christmas and easter hols whereas students at Leeds didn't really have that pressure... though we pay for it at the end).
Hope this helps!!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Blueowl04, thanks so much for you very informative review of Leeds... sounds great. This sure will help us in making a decison... good luck with the rest of your course.
Original post by Blueowl04
Hi!!
I'm a med student at Leeds, so can give you my point of view.
Leeds has a great and stimulating course so there's never a dull day. We have about 5-8 hours of in-person lectures a week (which can be done online too- so there's always the option available) followed by 5-6 hours of groupwork in small classes. In first year we cover many different modules including a biology/biomed one, body systems (cardio, resp etc...), a psychology one, a research paper one and various smaller modules like communication skills, ethics and law and a few others to do with teamwork etc...
You do a patient visit in the first term and then after christmas you start half a day of placement in both a GP and a hospital as well as anatomy classes (prosection...which i feel like is better for the actual learning of the anatomy in comparison to dissection). We also write 2 research papers in 1st year.
I also feel the support is pretty good at Leeds thanks to the small groupwork tutors and I know that support is always advertised so if i ever face a problem, i know where to go for help.
We don't really have many exams throughout the year. A few are used to pass the modules but they're quite simple. The only ones that REALLY count are the ones at the end of the year which cover ALL the content taught that year (2 of them on one day, and an anatomy spot check on another)... which means the 1st two terms aren't too intense but the last term definitely is. (eg. my friend that goes to another med school had to study for some important exams that counted towards her end of year grade throughout her christmas and easter hols whereas students at Leeds didn't really have that pressure... though we pay for it at the end).
Hope this helps!!
Reply 3
Original post by Taher.Adamjee
Blueowl04, thanks so much for you very informative review of Leeds... sounds great. This sure will help us in making a decison... good luck with the rest of your course.

No problem, happy to help! If you have any other questions, just let me know!!
Also, not to put you off the exam system (I realise i made it sound a bit negative haha) - its best described as similar to A-levels where only the last exams count. They're also all multiple choice if that makes it any better :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending