The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Staffordshire University reputation

Can anyone tell me how Staffordshire University reputation is? Is it very low? Or in general it's good/normal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reputation in what respect ? degree ? night life ? union ?
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by volmasoft
Reputation in what respect ? degree ? night life ? union ?

Respect and degree. How respectable is a degree from staffordshire university?

Employment opportunities for Staffordshire university students...

For example, when you take a degree on some universities people say "ohh that's a good university"...
Reply 3
I'd say Staffordshire's quite a good university and is well respected, they also provide lots of opportunities for you to interface with other companies.

They also have a lot of respectable partnerships with companies and I know a few areas such as motorsport people have no issue getting a job with some firms because of the good reputation of the university.

Employment opportunities is dependent upon what you make of it, any uni that says "we've got a high employment ratio after university" I feel is lying. It depends on what degree you are sitting (for example the ratio of graduates to jobs, such as games design which doesn't have as many opportunities as say computer sciences which is fairly generic). Then it depends on how hard you work, for example the result you get overall and also what extra curricular activities you do and whether you are actively seeking employment or just putting in a half arsed effort etc.

Hope that helps you out.
Reply 4
I'd say Staffordshire's quite a good university and is well respected, they also provide lots of opportunities for you to interface with other companies.

They also have a lot of respectable partnerships with companies and I know a few areas such as motorsport people have no issue getting a job with some firms because of the good reputation of the university.

Employment opportunities is dependent upon what you make of it, any uni that says "we've got a high employment ratio after university" I feel is lying. It depends on what degree you are sitting (for example the ratio of graduates to jobs, such as games design which doesn't have as many opportunities as say computer sciences which is fairly generic). Then it depends on how hard you work, for example the result you get overall and also what extra curricular activities you do and whether you are actively seeking employment or just putting in a half arsed effort etc.

Hope that helps you out.

Thanks very much, that is what I was looking forward.
I didn't have any feedback about this university and it is low classified in all universities ranking.

Can you tell me a little bit about the city, nightlife, students atmosphere, etc
Reply 5
universities ranking should not be taken as the be all and end all. You should look more about have satisfied previous students have been with teaching etc, because at the end of day if teaching poor not matter how good the university is so called ranked you will have a good chance of struggling
Reply 6
How is the life in staffordshire? people, nightlife, students atmosphere? small city? alot to see?
Reply 7
Stafford campus or Stoke campus ?

Can be more specific then and just glance over the other campus.
Reply 8
Stafford campus or Stoke campus ?

Can be more specific then and just glance over the other campus.

The campus would be Staffordshire I'm afraid =S
The course would be MSc Computer Networks and Security...

I heard that there is not many girl on this campus =|

I would like to have a good university experience, etc, etc
Reply 9
Right Stafford really isn't that bad, it's seriously how you make it, it has loads of places to go out it's just many aim for Couture and don't consider casa or the liten tree, that's where people make the mistakes.

I did say campus not university, Staffordshire is the univeristy Stafford, Stoke, Lichfield or Shrewsbury are the campus'.

There are enough girls if you're a nice enough guy, also town is usual ratios for girls/guys so I wouldn't say it ruin's anyone's experience of university.

University is what YOU make it, not the town/campus.
Stafford is pretty much the same as most towns around the country. Mid-sized, with most major stores, notable exception being Primark. It's got two nightclubs and plenty of pubs, from traditional to bar types. The SU on a Friday is always busy, it's a popular night, with fancy dress and games, and I prefer it to the nightclub in town.
Reply 11
Original post by wdreamer
Respect and degree. How respectable is a degree from staffordshire university?

Employment opportunities for Staffordshire university students...

For example, when you take a degree on some universities people say "ohh that's a good university"...

Personally I'd say its the same as most post '92 universities, aka; completely depends on your course lecturers, content and your final classification.

A degree from a red brick university can be thought of as much better in terms of content and learning over the 3 years. Problems with that however is most red brick universities don't teach many modern courses, only traditional.

Generally speaking computing, film & media and psychology are generally well thought of at Staffordshire.
One bad thing about Staffordshire that I've noticed is that it seems to be incredibly small as a town and the university is like 40 minutes away! (though about 10 minutes in bus)
Reply 13
Original post by de_monies
One bad thing about Staffordshire that I've noticed is that it seems to be incredibly small as a town and the university is like 40 minutes away! (though about 10 minutes in bus)

Eh? Where are you living right now?

Yes, the town looks small and quiet to me but whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is entirely down to your preferences. As for me I don't mind the size of the town, I was infact looking for a quieter campus to go to.

You can also see that the University boasts some good teacher training and teacher-student ratios - some of the best in the UK apparently - and being one of the cheapest places to live for students, that can't be all bad.
Im used to a bigger place where everything is within 10-15 minutes of each other, not half an hour. Thats all
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
You can get to town walking in about 20 minutes, just think of the exercise after sitting at a PC all day :smile:
You can get to town walking in about 20 minutes, just think of the exercise after sitting at a PC all day :smile:

That's true and I'd walk in this weather, but not in the winter
Reply 17
You can walk to town from the uni campus with in 30-40 minutes depending on your speed. Its a very quick and easy drive. Park up for free for a couple of hours in Asda's car park. There is also a bus service from the the university to town.

The walk will do you all some good, and I used to find it enjoyable. When you get a house in your 2nd year most of you should be in a comfortable distance between the campus and town. For those first years in accomodation. The university has a shop if you just need to pick up an odd couple things such as loo role, milk, newspaper so you don't always have to treck up to town.

If you get bored of Stafford town the train station provide's an easy journey to bigger city's like Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Stoke, Manchester. I really advie you all try and get a 16 - 25 railcard to get a third off rail prices.
Reply 18
Hello! I'm a new member. I'm 25 y.o. and I come from Italy. From September I will start a job in London. I want to apply for a postgraduate corse in International Relations and Diplomacy. As I' m going to pay my studies on my own, I've found that Staffordshire University is not so expensive.

May anybody tell me, please, if it will be good to study on a distance learning basis?

Many thanks!
Reply 19
You need to ensure it's possible to do it long distance, ask the award administrator and they'll let you know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending