The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Mental Health and Motivation at University.

Hi everyone!

My name is Danny I am a local student from Stoke-on-Trent and I am a undergraduate student currently studying Physical Education and Youth Sport Coaching.

Mental health awareness is a topic that I am massively passionate about and this thread will go through how Staffs Uni offered support for me.

Having gone through a mental health crisis during my first year, the 'student wellbeing service' made it a safe environment for me to open up about my own mental health problems and assured to me that I was not alone in what I was going through. The service was pivotal in helping me to understand my emotions and what I was feeling was valid! The referral process was quick and I really felt that I was listened to and understood.

Often, mental health can be a barrier for motivation towards University and work. Personally, I feel that the use of any form of physical activity (taking a walk in our nature reserve, using the campus gym "SSMSC") or taking part in any sports teams (through our wide range of societies) really helped to improve my mental health positively as well as being able to set myself new challenges, putting my self into them uncomfortable zones!

Now going into my third year of study, I have a deeper understanding of my own mental health and can confidently carry on with my studies remaining motivated and pushing through any challenges that I will have to face.

I hope this thread can give hope to any readers suffering mentally that you are not alone and that you have a purpose here.

Hope you enjoy your time here at staffs!

Danny.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending