The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Opting for a placement year

Hi guys!

My name is Nunika, I am an international final-year B.A. Fashion Student at Staffordshire University. I am writing this thread to discuss my experience of choosing and completing a placement year.

I began my journey at Staffs three years ago, I never thought of doing a placement year when I started - I was so concerned with the thought of spending four years on a course plus an additional year I spent doing a foundation back at home I almost got scared I'm going to get bored of fashion and drop out.

During the first two years of studying fashion, I was immersed in the course, feeling comfortable and excited yet challenged with a constant want to learn more. My lectures highly suggested I take the placement year as it would allow me to gain real industry insight and is a chance for me to secure a job. I decided to take on the challenge; with the help of the Careers department and my lecturers, I applied for various internships followed by some rejections and some acceptances, and I found myself the perfect internship.

I dreamt of working at a Couture House with a creative role in the fashion capital of London and this role as an embroidery and embellishment intern checked all the boxes. I started the role with so much excitement that I think you could almost see the sparks around me! The first month at work was so fascinating, seeing the techniques and methods I was taught at university being applied in real life. It gave me an understanding of how much I know and how much more there is to learn.

Several weeks later into my dream internship role, I was requested to fill in for someone in the admin department for a couple of days; Honestly, I took the role thinking I was helping the team out and there probably wouldn't be much in it for me to learn but within 48 hours this big revelation happened, and I realised I'm enjoying this entirely different job role that I never even considered.
It was an admin-based job dealing with clients, suppliers, emails, costings and invoicing with lesser creative input, yet I loved it, I loved it more than I loved to sit, and hand sew, perfecting my techniques! I spoke with my supervisor if I could swap roles and my course leader at Staffs supported me in taking on a new journey and realising my true purpose within fashion - I worked as the executive assistant to the Creative Designer and the Global Client Manager for the next ten months (also got offered a full-time job in the company after I finish uni).

My placement helped me realise my true calling within the fashion industry; I realised I could be incredible at another job role I never even considered talking about.

So, seize this placement opportunity to explore new passions within the course that you never thought would interest you :smile:

Use this thread to ask any questions or voice any concerns you may have about placement year.

I look forward to seeing you around campus!

Nunika
Staffordshire University Content Creator
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending