The Student Room Group

For a job interview, does "Arrive well presented - smart casual" mean wear a suit?

Scroll to see replies

Basically, a suit; minus either the jacket or the tie. But keep the shirt and trousers.
I was talking to my boss about this the other day, I work in catering.. not sure what sort of job its for but he said he expects some obvious effort, so a shirt and nice trousers, and nice shoes, I agree no tie, and I personally wouldnt wear a jacket either, it's summer anyway!
how can casual mean suit? jeez i thought people on TSR were meant to be smarties.
Plain suit (no pinstripes) and no tie (maybe a belt also, brown if suit is grey).
Original post by NotSoCool.Fly
how can casual mean suit? jeez i thought people on TSR were meant to be smarties.

Smart casual......
Most moronic comment I have ever seen on here.
Original post by Herspaceholiday
Smart casual......
Most moronic comment I have ever seen on here.

smart yes a blazer maybe and some jeans
not suit ffs.
Original post by NotSoCool.Fly
smart yes a blazer maybe and some jeans
not suit ffs.

Whatever, at the end of the day your never going to lower your chances of getting a job by being over dressed, but being under dressed can.
Reply 27
Original post by Loz17
Things are great thanks :biggrin:

You applied to somewhere in Canters?

Yep. And guess who is the newest Ambassador for Nespresso coffee! Mhmm, ME! The interviewers said I was great and brilliant :biggrin: I have to go to a training day on the 15th of August then will be starting work soon after that =)

And for anyone that needs to know: I wore black shoes, trousers and shirt.
Reply 28
What I would wear: Beige/Cream shirt with buttons not cufflinks, matching blue blazer and jacket, no tie, shirt tucked in, top button undone, smart black shoes. Wear a teeshirt under your **** or keep your blazer on if you get sweat patches.

Generally it is better to be too smart, than too scruffy.

Oh yeah, it also means be clean shaven with filed and clean nails.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Full on suit merrttt, Track suit
Reply 30
Depends, if it's a job interview for an important company then smart, but if it's for a restaurant or a cafe or something then smart casual.
Original post by HarryA
Yep. And guess who is the newest Ambassador for Nespresso coffee! Mhmm, ME! The interviewers said I was great and brilliant :biggrin: I have to go to a training day on the 15th of August then will be starting work soon after that =)

And for anyone that needs to know: I wore black shoes, trousers and shirt.

Haha brillant! Well done :biggrin:

I was getting worried a I had an interview in Canters the same day as you but it wasn't obv. I got my job too :biggrin:

For reference, if anyone wants a female input to smart casual, I wore a white top with a tie on the right shoulder, a black tulip skirt and pale pink lace flats.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending