The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2012 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steerforth
I have to disagree. Although the interviewers did seem nice and friendly, they definitely used some curve ball questions to try and trick me out. They also used leading questions, (trying to get me to say the wrong answer) which was difficult.

All in all I think it went ok, but deffo not the easiest interview I have been to by a long shot.

Like what? I've never heard of anyone getting particularly tricky questions at Newcastle.
Reply 981
Original post by Steerforth
I have to disagree. Although the interviewers did seem nice and friendly, they definitely used some curve ball questions to try and trick me out. They also used leading questions, (trying to get me to say the wrong answer) which was difficult.

All in all I think it went ok, but deffo not the easiest interview I have been to by a long shot.

Hmm, I'm not sure I noticed this at all - must have just been your interviewers! I've never heard anybody else say this...
Reply 982
People with Newcastle interviews (from the South), how are you getting up there? I live in Bath (5 hour train...no) and my interview is at 10:30am on Monday 9th, thinking of getting an easy jet flight up the day before, staying over and flying back on the 3:55pm. 10:30 interview and 3:55 flight...is that pushing it?

I presume they'll be fairly good with timings, but who knows. The metro to the airport apparently takes 20 mins from Haymarket, which seems to be the closest station to the medical school (?).

Anyone else struggling/got any tips?
Reply 983
Had my interview today!
I think it went ok, I wouldn't say they were trying to trick me but I think the questions were a bit hard, and took a lot of thought, but there were no awkward silences so I guess that's a good sign!
Reply 984
Original post by Marky
Mine is exactly the same time/date!! Pretty weird that haha! And don't worry you'll be fine! :smile:

I'll see you there then. No offence, but I'm not looking forward to next thursday at all lol.
Original post by chrisjar
People with Newcastle interviews (from the South), how are you getting up there? I live in Bath (5 hour train...no) and my interview is at 10:30am on Monday 9th, thinking of getting an easy jet flight up the day before, staying over and flying back on the 3:55pm. 10:30 interview and 3:55 flight...is that pushing it?

I presume they'll be fairly good with timings, but who knows. The metro to the airport apparently takes 20 mins from Haymarket, which seems to be the closest station to the medical school (?).

Anyone else struggling/got any tips?

I flew there and back in a day with room for shopping :smile: Although as yours is earlier its best you do go night before... You will have plenty of time as the interview is half an hour and the school is about a 20 min walk from the station and you're right its 20 min metro ride. So you should have plenty of time.. also if you take hand luggage it will save you loads of time with check-in hassle :smile:
Reply 986
Original post by MrsNorthman
I flew there and back in a day with room for shopping :smile: Although as yours is earlier its best you do go night before... You will have plenty of time as the interview is half an hour and the school is about a 20 min walk from the station and you're right its 20 min metro ride. So you should have plenty of time.. also if you take hand luggage it will save you loads of time with check-in hassle :smile:

Thanks, that's reassuring! I went with the flights in the end, didn't fancy 10 hours on a train over two days. :smile:
Reply 987
Original post by chrisjar
Thanks, that's reassuring! I went with the flights in the end, didn't fancy 10 hours on a train over two days. :smile:

Ahh jesus i dont fancy a 11 hour or 16 hour train over 2 days either :/ How much did the flights cost you for a return? also where you flying from? :smile: Im looking at the prices now and they just seem crazy! Everyone tells me itd be cheaper to fly to somewhere as far away as newcastle than the train. but its about £150 for the train and double that for flights:/ There must be cheaper flights! Flying abroad is much cheaper!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 988
WOOOOO just got invited to interview!! :-)

did you guys call or email to confirm? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 989
Original post by rozca

edit: did you guys call or email to confirm? :smile:

Congrats!

Did you apply for 5 year or GEM?
Reply 990
Original post by adsyrah
Congrats!

Did you apply for 5 year or GEM?

Thanks and 5 year :smile:
Just got an interview! Yes!
Original post by rozca

did you guys call or email to confirm? :smile:

Is it for 16th January? I got mine today and its at 2.30
Reply 993
Original post by MSheekey
Is it for 16th January? I got mine today and its at 2.30

not quite, 19th :smile:
congrats though and good luck :smile:
Original post by rozca
not quite, 19th :smile:
congrats though and good luck :smile:

Good Luck for the 19th! and Congratulations! :biggrin:
Reply 995
Original post by loz876
Had my interview today!
I think it went ok, I wouldn't say they were trying to trick me but I think the questions were a bit hard, and took a lot of thought, but there were no awkward silences so I guess that's a good sign!

What did you do in order to get prepared to the interview? did you do anything in particular or just randomly thought about some questions they could ask?

I have mine coming up soon and i'm getting nervous :s-smilie:

Really, they were hard?! can you be more specific?

do you have any advice?

Reply 996
YAY! i just got an interview - the 16th January! It's my first choice... eeeeeeeeeeeeeee :biggrin:
Reply 997
Original post by InkyOne
YAY! i just got an interview - the 16th January! It's my first choice... eeeeeeeeeeeeeee :biggrin:

congrats :smile:

anyone know what the stats are like for newcastle and durham? is it slightly easier/hardier to get into one over the other? ..and what about those that picked 'either'
Reply 998
Original post by rozca
congrats :smile:

anyone know what the stats are like for newcastle and durham? is it slightly easier/hardier to get into one over the other? ..and what about those that picked 'either'

I think there are more places available in Newcastle than in Durham (i read there are 225 places at newcastle and 102 at durham). But probably there are more people that want Newcastle rather than Durham, I think...

So, I think it's hard to state which one is easier to get into. However i think they take into account the choice you pick unless it's completely impossible.

Which one did you pick?

I'm not sure about this but I hope I was helpful :smile:
Reply 999
Original post by loz876
Had my interview today!

I had mine yesterday too and I agree totally with you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending