The Student Room Group

8 Month Old Deaf Baby's Reaction To Cochlear Implant Being Activated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by tufc
No one's saying they are worth less, and no one is saying that there is anything wrong with being deaf. But there is no denying that it is a disadvantage, and it's fundamentally wrong to deliberately give a child a disadvantage.

How is deafness not a disability? Stop being such a left wing bigot and calling people narrow minded for disagreeing with you. No one is denying it's a cultural identity, and it would be wrong to deprive people who ARE born deaf of that culture. But we should not let people deliberately have disabled kids just to feed that culture. What's going to be next? Amputee parents choosing to have children born with missing limbs? People like you are going to ruin the country :facepalm2:

I'm all against this whole 'lets make our babies deaf' but I don't think she is being left wing.
Reply 61
Original post by jabed786
I'm all against this whole 'lets make our babies deaf' but I don't think she is being left wing.

'Let's allow people to disable their children, so we don't impinge on the rights of minorities.'

It doesn't come much more left-wing than that...
Reply 62
Original post by Astronomical
Can't quite believe what I've just read. I don't care if they have a deaf-club or whatever, being deaf is due to the body not functioning correctly. It is not a cultural identity, it is merely a defect of the human body, no less than a missing limb, being blind, and so on.

I don't understand how anyone can claim being deaf is not a hindrance. Regardless of whether deal adults can live a good life, and cope with being deaf, there lives would have been easier and more enjoyable had they had the basic human sense of hearing.

Deaf culture? Get a grip.

IKR :lol: That guy's an idiot :facepalm2:
Reply 63
Original post by tufc
So why make them actually deaf? Why not let them enjoy both the hearing and the deaf world?

I have negged you and its a bit mean of me because you are entitled to your own opinion, but for you to use that annoying Youtuber who makes such sweeping generalisations and unnecessarily insults things, in your signature is why I am negging you.
Also I don't see how a society becoming Christian will cause it to be a whole lot more democratic and modern. I'm assuming you support the right wing and for them to be seen as modern is arguable because they tend to vote against gay marriages, abortions and vote for more aggression and militancy. Which to me , particularly voting against gay marriages and abortions is hardly modern.
Reply 64
Original post by tufc
'Let's allow people to disable their children, so we don't impinge on the rights of minorities.'

It doesn't come much more left-wing than that...

Ahh I see (didn't notice she said that)
True the left is more concerned with minorities. But I lean to the left wing and I disagree with the parents making babies deaf.

So I dont think saying she is left wing is a good way to describe her because being left wing is a mixture of things. Being left wing is about creating potential for people who don't have a level playing field. So deliberately making a child deaf does make it harder to achieve that potential and stops them from being level with others.
Reply 65
Awwwww :love:

Happy baby :h:
Reply 66
I agree with whoever said the parents have to adapt for the children. If normal parents have a deaf child or child with another similar disability and nothing can be done to help, they will have to adapt - learn sign language and adjust.

The same has to apply for deaf parents. They have to send their child to normal school, expose them to tv programs /radio, perhaps in their first few years make sure they go to a nursery so they dont have developmental issues due to never hearing anyone speak. I think a child can grow up with deaf parents just like some people are raised by parents with other disabilities, blindness for one.

However I think the problem is that cochlear implants are a medical intervention - a lot of people take issue with medical interventions to their kids that THEY don't perceive as necessary to improve their children's quality of life (think all the parents refusing to vaccinate) - so you cannot force someone to get one for their child.
Reply 67
I have negged you and its a bit mean of me because you are entitled to your own opinion, but for you to use that annoying Youtuber who makes such sweeping generalisations and unnecessarily insults things, in your signature is why I am negging you.
Also I don't see how a society becoming Christian will cause it to be a whole lot more democratic and modern. I'm assuming you support the right wing and for them to be seen as modern is arguable because they tend to vote against gay marriages, abortions and vote for more aggression and militancy. Which to me , particularly voting against gay marriages and abortions is hardly modern.

I don't want to turn this into an immigration thread - there's plenty of them about, but firstly, it's somewhat unfair to neg me for my signature, you should rep me for my post content. Secondly, thanks for letting me know that someone does watch the video in my signature. Thirdly, I like getting neg rep anyway, so neg away.

The fact is that this society was raised on Christian values. I'm not a Christian myself, but I see the importance of it in this country's upbringing. Christians, at least, do not advocate the stoning of women for having sex. Indeed, Jesus said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

And you speak of generalisations, but you are making a sweeping generalisation about right-wing people. I am right wing socially, but left wing economically.
Right wing people are not all opposed to to gay marriage, and we're not all militant trigger happy gun toting lunatics. I fully support civil partnerships, I wouldn't want the Christian church to be forced to marry people in contravention of their religion, but I see no harm in allowing them to have the legal status of marriage. I am, however, staunchly opposed to gay adoption.
I am in fact, very much anti-militancy. I am a staunch anti-interventionist - I oppose all forms of foreign intervention, be it a war or foreign aid.

So you've basically defeated your own argument, talking about how Pat Condell makes sweeping generalisations, but then generalising every right-wing person yourself.
Reply 68
Ahh I see (didn't notice she said that)
True the left is more concerned with minorities. But I lean to the left wing and I disagree with the parents making babies deaf.

So I dont think saying she is left wing is a good way to describe her because being left wing is a mixture of things. Being left wing is about creating potential for people who don't have a level playing field. So deliberately making a child deaf does make it harder to achieve that potential and stops them from being level with others.

I have no problem with left-wing socio-economic policy, in fact I very much support schemes such as EMA, as I believe in investing in people.

There is no denying however that the loony left have gone all the way round and come back on the far-right. Groups such as 'Unite Against Fascism' claim to be against fascism, but oppose groups such as the BNP being allowed to express their views :facepalm2:
Loony-lefties also claim to be anti-racist, yet support positive discrimination, which is just state-sponsored racism.
Reply 69
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

That video is impossible not to smile at.

All there is to say.
Reply 70
Original post by tufc
f.

I just thought I should give you a reason why I negged you like your sig said so quoting you was convenient. I think it was quite unfair of me to neg you for having an opinion I disagreed with but its not unfair imo to neg people for the sigs

You didnt say you were left wing econ and right wing socially so sorry I made the assumption you were right wing in both economically and socially.

I wasn't making such sweeping statements, I do admit they were a bit generalistic (is that a word lol) but I did say the phrase 'TEND TO' I didn't say all right wings definitely do so.

I don't want to derail this thread so without expanding on more things I'll say that I don't think Christianity or any other religion is needed to have a
modern and democratic society.

One last thing - in response to your other quote. The BNP is fascist thats why they are against it :s-smilie: Everyone can have an opinion they are just uniting against that very extreme and in my opinion offensive opinion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tufc
But no one is 'forcing' it on anyone. If a parent doesn't want it done on their child, then it isn't done. But the deaf community are saying it shouldn't even be an option!

n.b. I want the Burkha banned

My 'forcing' was directed towards the age group I stated, the later adolescents. If their parents want them to get the implant, and they don't want it - the parents hold the power. They don't really have a choice in the matter.
Reply 72
I just thought I should give you a reason why I negged you like your sig said so quoting you was convenient. I think it was quite unfair of me to neg you for having an opinion I disagreed with but its not unfair imo to neg people for the sigs

You didnt say you were left wing econ and right wing socially so sorry I made the assumption you were right wing in both economically and socially.

I wasn't making such sweeping statements, I do admit they were a bit generalistic (is that a word lol) but I did say the phrase 'TEND TO' I didn't say all right wings definitely do so.

I don't want to derail this thread so without expanding on more things I'll say that I don't think Christianity or any other religion is needed to have a
modern and democratic society.

One last thing - in response to your other quote. The BNP is fascist thats why they are against it :s-smilie: Everyone can have an opinion they are just uniting against that very extreme and in my opinion offensive opinion.

I haven't got a problem with them uniting against the BNP. What I do, however, think is rank hypocrisy, is them trying to stop the BNP from expressing their views, and saying they shouldn't be allowed on Question Time, as saying that a group you don't agree with shouldn't be allowed to express themselves is pure fascism, whilst they claim to be against fascism.
it seems a lot of the Deaf community is against it

So some members of the deaf community want more people to be deaf to protect deaf culture? Isn't that a little like wanting more people to be amputees to protect that culture, to carry on wheelchair basketball and such?

Crazy.
Reply 74
Not sure if this goes in Society or Current Affairs. A year old so not entirely current but a beautiful thing to witness, hearing his mother's voice for the first time:

And I've been doing some browsing on Cochlear Implants and it seems a lot of the Deaf community is against it:

Would you really deny your child (in the case he or she was born deaf) a cochlear implant? :erm: Any chance of this being extended to adults? Apparently it only works on babies because of the early stage of development.

That video is impossible not to smile at. :love:

My paternal instinct is kicking in...hard. Jonathan is so damn adorable :love:
I read on Wikipedia and heard audio samples, the sounds of music and speech are both horrible... I don't think I want to let my future child (but God forbid) if he were deaf to get this implant unless the technology is so advanced that the voice quality is improved - I would be against whatever gives my future child (again, God forbid) a painful headache because that thing is noisy.
Aww he's so cute :love:

I love how he's like :lolwut: in the first couple of seconds and then he starts getting proper happy :smile:

I can't believe some parents want to deny their children the right to hear just to create some kind of deaf community cohesiveness. Wtf right?
Original post by tufc
x

I agree with all your posts.

I was born partially deaf and I used to have real trouble when I was little because I couldn't hear someone unless they were next to me and in front of me so I could see their lips moving as well. Thanks to several medical interventions, I can now hear properly. I am very greatful for that. I would hate to live in a world without being able to hear my friends, my family, or go to see a film with people without needing assistance. My life is so much easier now that I can hear fully. There is nothing wrong with being deaf or hard of hearing, but it definately makes life harder and singles you out. Why anyone would inflict that willingly on their child, I don't know. Imagine finding out your parents purposely made you deaf. :s-smilie: Anyway that baby is adorable. :smile:

Also to the people claiming deaf babies of deaf parents can fit into the deaf community better, my friends mum is deaf and she has three daughters who can hear perfectly fine. The daughters are able to speak sign language and hear/speak too. Why should the child hearing mean they cannot learn sign language?
(edited 12 years ago)
If I was deaf I'd want my child to be able to hear if possible, but then I'm not a spiteful bastard.

As the above person pointed out, it's pretty obvious that in 99.999% of cases the kid would learn sign language. Yeah, deaf people can get butt hurt if they want about being at the end of a line of deaf people or some **** (I wouldn't be surprised that in an awful lot of cases, regardless of the age at which you become deaf, it will be fixable, or we will at least be able to work around it well, within the century) but that's no justification for imposing what IS A DISABILITY, REGARDLESS OF ANY ARGUMENTS TO THE CONTRARY, upon others. Especially ****ing children.
(edited 12 years ago)
Wouldn't you hate your parents if they had denied you the chance to hear things? Surely if the child decided they wanted to be deaf they could remove the implant... They just screw in don't they (A guy at school had one, and he could remove the implant easily making himself deaf) I don't think anyone should be allowed to create a designer baby, and definitely not deliberately impair their children. It's selfish.
(edited 12 years ago)
amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending