The Student Room Group

Girlies with the Nexplanon implant...advice?

I've been considering the nexplanon contraceptive implant for a little while- I've been sexually active and on the mini-pill (progesterone only, same as the implant) and haven't really had any side effects other than an irregular period, which I had before and my GP told me was a possibility. My boyfriend and I always use a condom as I said I wouldn't feel comfortable without it while on the pill as it's more susceptible to human error (taking it late, missing a pill etc) but it would be nice to have the option of spontaneous condom-less sex without as big of a risk. The implant is much more effective (99% I've heard) plus it's not something to remember every single day, once it's in, it's in.

Has anyone had any major issues with the Nexplanon implant or should I take the plunge and call the sexual health clinic and get it put in? I'm really fond of the idea as it's more effective than the pill and I occasionally miss it/take it late which makes me nervous....
It sounds ideal in your situation. One of the most effective kinds of hormonal contraception. Can't forget to take it. Admittedly you can have side effects, but it's only progesterone so fewer hormones than most pills
I've been on the implant 4 years in total and I'm not considering changing my contraception anytime soon, if ever. I have no side effects except irregular periods, but they're light and painless for the most part. I don't notice it at all, so much so when I accidentally touch it I briefly freak out because I forget it's there. I'm on it to control my absolutely not compatible with life periods off birth control, and I had awful reactions to pills. I do know a lot of people who didn't like the implant, but it doesn't hurt to try.
Sorry I’m late adding to this! I was on the combined pill for around 6 months but changed to the implant as I wasn’t the best at taking it. I got the implant put in today and the only painful part was the numbing injection which was stung a lot but after that I didn’t feel any pain, just a weird sensation. I would recommend it so far. It’s worth a try to see if it works for you.
UPDATE: got the implant about 3 weeks ago. I've noticed a change in my emotional state especially in the first week or so where I would cry at EVERYTHING! Also change in sex drive, it was suuper high before the implant, like consistently wanting it 2+ times a day but haven't really been 'horny' other than after already doing something sexy, like only being turned on after making out for ages, my bf teasing me etc, which to be honest I can live with, mt partner has a lower (still high) drive than me and we're a bit more in synch now which is good.

Quick Reply

Latest