The Student Room Group

Sounds like a stupid question, but why don't peole take LSD?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Coffee also makes you "happy" - it does not mean that I should drink it in order to be so.

Er, no it doesn't.
Original post by Lauren_Summer
Sorry if this is a really stupid question and i'm horribly wrong but.. I thought cannabis had been proved not to have any negative health effects ? So how can it have 'less negative health effects'?

Cannabis can cause psychosis and schizophrenia if you use it heavily in your teens..not that it's going to for definite, but the possibility is there. The people who develop these symptoms always say it wasn't worth taking it in the first place...fair enough really, it's taken their lives away.
Reply 122
Original post by You Failed
I did read the rest of your post and I find that a perfectly acceptable answer. The fact that you even included the illegality part though indicated that it was a factor. If it isnt a factor to you, why did you mention it at all?

Because if I did use it, I'd be persecuted against by the state.
Original post by mevidek
Because if I did use it, I'd be persecuted against by the state.

I already dismissed that issue in my reply.
Original post by the666thmessiah
Because you smoke it?

Anyways Cannabis hasnt been PROVEN not to have any negative side effects. It has been proven that it wont cause things like schizophrenia if you werent in the risk group for it anyway...

No I do not bloody smoke it :tongue:
Reply 126
Original post by the666thmessiah
I have had a mild flashback, and I know a guy who has had one too. They are like a mild re-experience of LSD, rather than "seeing what you did see", its weird, but totally controllable and more like the LSD come up/come down than the actual trip in my opinion.

Yeah i've had that i think, along with a few tracers and moving patterns. Always felt it was more a certain emotion or thought or visual distortion triggering a memory than how you often hear a flshback described. Found that i can even force it if its not been that long since my last trip and the memories are still vivid. Nothing to really get concerned about. Never heard of someone having an extreme flashback.
Reply 127
Original post by x0Harriet
LSD-
Possession: seven years in jail.
Supplying: life sentence and an unlimited fine.

Cannabis-
Possession: five years in jail.
Supplying: fourteen years and an unlimited fine.

Bit of a difference.

Exactly, the most harmful aspect of illegal drugs is that they are illegal.
Original post by Conor C
On Wikipedia, it says LSD is less physically addactive and does less physical harm than Marijuana, alcohol and tobacco. Why then would a lot of people not take it? The only real reason I can think of is because the high lasts upto 12 hours, but surly many people would like to experience it?

Also, with regards to flash backs, there has been much research into their causes and effects and there has been little evidence that they even exist.

the problem is not the harm it personally causes you but those it effects cause

it makes your thirst unquenchable resulting in you drowning yourself by drinking to much water (yes it is possible refer to your biology books)
Reply 129
Last year a guy on an LSD trip cut his own balls off because he thought they contained monsters.
Reply 130
Original post by qkyintshwr

Original post by qkyintshwr
Drugs can make you happy and feel good.... and isn't that the fundamental reason why any of us do anything? (we work/study so that we can have a higher quality of life, so that we can be happy, not worry about anything and feel good).

Although I think you might have been baiting/trolling.

If you need drugs to make yourself happy, then you got bigger problems than a drug problem.

I don't take drugs because I value my health, my life, my intelligence and my money. I can have fun without endangering my life or my brain. I dont see why anyone would take drugs. Its just reckless behaviour.
Original post by kopite493
the problem is not the harm it personally causes you but those it effects cause

it makes your thirst unquenchable resulting in you drowning yourself by drinking to much water (yes it is possible refer to your biology books)

no, it does not :rolleyes:
I guess some people just choose not to include drugs in their lifestyle. It's a personal choice, really. Just because something exists, it doesn't mean you have to make use of it. I personally don't do drugs. Not because of the risks, or the fear of getting caught, but I don't want my perspective on life to change altogether too drastically. Some drugs, notably LSD, can have the effect of totally changing people's lives. A lot of the time, this can be in a good way, I realise, but at the same time, I'm happy where I am, in my little box of ignorance. Why change my outlook or lifestyle? I have a future ahead of me, which I'm consciously working towards, and I don't want my path to change, just cos of some drug, no matter how good the experience may be.

I can see the appeal in drugs, and I understand why people use them, but they're not for everyone.
Reply 133
Anyone hear the story about a welsh guy who bet his mate he'd cut off his balls if wales won the rugby? Wales won and he promptly went home and cut off his own testicles with a pair of pliers. Saw it on news of the week or somewhere similar, good laugh at an idiot. The guy was very drunk but nobody blamed the alcohol for his actions?

Unless you've tried a certain drug then you cannot possibly hope to comment on it. People who drink yet say they don't touch drugs are just hypocrites. Most people dont understand the fact that our 'nanny state' doesn't want us to buy drugs (i won't go into the reasons for why) and so spreads horror stories to put people off. If all you ever heard about alcohol was stories like the one above i'm quite sure you would be put off that aswell, except for the fact that youve tried it and know it doesn't affect you or most other people in that way at all.
Reply 134
Personally I wouldn't take LSD as I saw 2 friends take it at a house party and they both ended up sitting in a corner really scared, crying and one was just rocking back and forth like a psycho. I can think of 101 more fun things to do. I wouldn't even want to risk ending up in the state they were.
Original post by Amy2201
If you need drugs to make yourself happy, then you got bigger problems than a drug problem.

I don't take drugs because I value my health, my life, my intelligence and my money. I can have fun without endangering my life or my brain. I dont see why anyone would take drugs. Its just reckless behaviour.

Institutionalised parrotry.

EDIT: Nice counter-argument. I mean neg.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rj1990
I'm not saying the LSD stayed within him....WTF...

I'm saying it put him into a state of mind which he could not exit from!!

Oh, so you're saying that it had a physiological effect that wasn't reversible? Who was this famous singer, anyway?
Original post by Amy2201

Wow, the propaganda machine is really doing its job!

And could you be so kind as to quote the exact point at which the poster you responded to mentioned a necessity for taking drugs to create happiness? They claimed that drugs can induce happiness (obviously meaning different types of happiness) - this is quite distinct from needing drugs to be happy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 138
Original post by TurboCretin
Institutionalised parrotry.

Good call
Reply 139
Original post by Amy2201

I can have fun without many things. Why go snowboarding? you don't need snowboarding to have fun and why risk endangering your life or brain, Why even bother with holidays? why risk traveling in a car, plane or train? Why risk leaving your home to have fun? Just stay in with a box of tissues.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending