The Student Room Group

Sounds like a stupid question, but why don't peole take LSD?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
It's not the physiological harm that worries people, but the potential mental harm... and if you've ever spoken to somebody who's had a bad trip, you'd immediately understand.
Reply 161
Original post by Amy2201
Clearly a bunch of drug addicts on this thread.
Sorry that I don't chose to take drugs guys. I think its stupid and I value my life. Sorry if that offends you!

I am not going to bother to respond to each one individually because I CBA with an arguement. Its well known scientific fact that drugs harm your health. They also alter the way in which your brain functions.

Coffee contains a drug. But then, I suppose it's alright when the government says so, right?
Reply 162
So, so much misinformation, urban legends and tabloid bull**** in this thread. LSD is widely regarded by the scientific community as being one of the safer drugs, moreso than alcohol and tobacco. Stories about people jumping out of windows because they thought they could fly (why didn't they take off from the ground first?) are hear say that has come from media hysteria when the drug was big in the 60s.

As for why people don't take it, hallucinogens are only of interest to some people, I know plenty of people who take stimulants regularly who have no interest in them. I'm told synthesis is incredibly difficult, far more so than for MDMA/amphetamines and hence it's very rare.

Some of the claims about the effects of acid in this thread could put this to shame

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rj1990
The difference is that LSD can **** someones mind after little use. Alcohol is only very dangerous if you become addicted.

You can't compare LSD to Alcohol, you fool :colonhash:

Yes, thanks for the ad hominem.

Alcohol can kill after one use, you never heard of alcohol poisoning?

I was pointing out that all drugs have dangers. You appear to think this is foolish. :facepalm:
Original post by parasitic
LSD is too dangerous unless you have friends who are willing to look after you for more than 12 hours just in case you did something stupid, like started peeling your own skin off thinking you're an orange :smile:

I think most people go for ketamine or mushrooms to achieve a similar 'high' and trip out. Ketamine is fairly ok at that and only lasts about 2-3hrs when tripping out. In smaller doses it will last even shorter time but without giving you a trip, just some 'cool special effects' on what you're seeing....

In my opinion I would rather do mdma/e on a night out than smoke weed... but obviously I don't encourage any drug use...

No one thinks they're an orange, that one was doing the rounds back in the 80s.

Ketamine is quite dangerous btw. Very addictive and destroys the urinary system.
Original post by Stefan1991
Neither is any activity, situation or circumstance.

In fact looking at this screen is straining your eyes and giving you an unhealthy dose of radiation. Radiation is never healthy.

That's like saying getting into a car, riding a bike or taking a skydive is harmful. It's not when you take simple precautions.

Like wearing a seatbelt, bike helmet and wearing a parachute. Like sipping water and taking occasional breaks with MDMA and having a sitter watch over you in a safe secure place with LSD. First trips on LSD are never ever bad trips.

Of course there are intellectual benefits, whole books have been written on the subject. Of course it opens minds, and can improve the lives of some people. Drugs don't exist to suit any predefined purpose.

I'd like to see some evidence for this statement.
Original post by Stefan1991
Did you know, some people are allergic to peanuts?

Yes, thanks Roger.
LSD isn't a 12 hour trip - the full trip is about 9 hours. And to be honest, you can function on LSD. Someone who isn't me managed to trek all the way to the shops from the park and buy a bottle of water at the very height of the trip, and even though the shop attendants looked a bit confused, everything went pretty smoothly.
There are much stronger hallucinogenics out there where the trip is much more intense and DOES last for 12 hours, like peyote, but I can see why that's illegal, that IS a complete mind**** apparently. But LSD? I think in moderation, it's as dangerous as alcohol, to be honest. Don't be letting kids have it, though.
If you can function on LSD, you're getting some weak acid. LSD strength has dropped considerably over the decades. From maybe 200µg in the 60s down to about 20µg these days.
Original post by kopite493
the problem is not the harm it personally causes you but those it effects cause

it makes your thirst unquenchable resulting in you drowning yourself by drinking to much water (yes it is possible refer to your biology books)

I think you may be getting mixed up with MDMA and Leah Betts dying of dilutional hyponatremia. This was not making thirst unquenchable. It was a combination of misremembering harm reduction advice (stay hydrated if on a hot dancefloor all night) and the effects of MDMA on anti-diuretic hormone.
Reply 170
Because I have no interest in drugs.
Original post by Camss
LSD is fun for 6-8 hours, then you feel like a twisted piece of **** for a day or two. Not really worth doing on the regular.

Talking "deep and meaningful" *******s for 7 hours with your friends, thinking you've solved all the problems in the world and seeing the ground breathe, going home, spending the next day just mumbling utter *******s to yourself in your room because the made up words you're saying still sound important.

Ladies and Gentleman; I give you LSD.
Reply 172
Original post by Conor C
On Wikipedia, it says LSD is less physically addactive and does less physical harm than Marijuana, alcohol and tobacco. Why then would a lot of people not take it? The only real reason I can think of is because the high lasts upto 12 hours, but surly many people would like to experience it?

Also, with regards to flash backs, there has been much research into their causes and effects and there has been little evidence that they even exist.

Because of the possible negative mental effects it can have on you which can be very harmful from what I know.
Original post by Libtolu
That i did not know :tongue:

The history of drugs is littered with new drugs being touted as wonder cures and later being discovered to be either of limited use or actively harmful. Cocaine, heroin, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, LSD etc.
Original post by Kibalchich
If you can function on LSD, you're getting some weak acid. LSD strength has dropped considerably over the decades. From maybe 200µg in the 60s down to about 20µg these days.

Functionality depends entirely on the dosage and the stage of trip you're experiencing.

An average trip about 5 years ago when I used to experiment was anywhere between 50-150mcg (impossible to judge any batch of acid accurately before you've had it) and lasted from 6-10 hours. Apart from the peak of the trip, around the halfway mark, in the preceding and following hours if one is experienced with the sensations and visuals, you can disguise the fact that you're tripping to a point where a normal person may not even notice you acting out of the ordinary at all.

Also, i'm not doubting you as I havent looked up any statistics but 20mcg seems really, really weak... I wouldnt have thought it would be enough to do much apart from a slightly buzzy stoned-yet-alert feeling, let alone to trigger a proper trip with visuals.
Original post by disposablesteve
Functionality depends entirely on the dosage and the stage of trip you're experiencing.

An average trip about 5 years ago when I used to experiment was anywhere between 50-150mcg (impossible to judge any batch of acid accurately before you've had it) and lasted from 6-10 hours. Apart from the peak of the trip, around the halfway mark, in the preceding and following hours if one is experienced with the sensations and visuals, you can disguise the fact that you're tripping to a point where a normal person may not even notice you acting out of the ordinary at all.

Also, i'm not doubting you as I havent looked up any statistics but 20mcg seems really, really weak... I wouldnt have thought it would be enough to do much apart from a slightly buzzy stoned-yet-alert feeling, let alone to trigger a proper trip with visuals.

I'm trying to remember where I read those stats, to no avail.

How do you know how strong the acid you took was? Did you have it analysed?
Here's a US source for strength

The strength of illicit LSD nowadays ranges from 20 to 80 m g per dose, which is considerably less than doses reported during the 1960s and early 1970s, of 100-200 m g or higher per unit. Experienced users typically administer 100-200 m g for a “good high”. The potency of liquid LSD in dropper bottles may vary because the liquid is water based.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/People/injury/research/job185drugs/lysergic.htm
No one thinks they're an orange, that one was doing the rounds back in the 80s.

Ketamine is quite dangerous btw. Very addictive and destroys the urinary system.

It was just an example I used. LSD is very powerful and can give you hallucinations where you don't know what's real and whats not in high doses. Like you could be thinking there are aliens after you and maybe try and knife someone without knowing it... although it should be 'safe' if used in a small/normal dose with 'sober' friends in a safe environment, like your room.

I know about ketamine, I read about it before and even after doing it. I only done it twice and nothing bad happened as such, just high doses of it made me pretty much trip out for a few hours without any control, lost sense of my body too, no feeling of the tongue which was rather scary... I didn't find it addictive but obviously I respect my body and won't be touching drugs for sometime now.. It's all good fun a few times a year, but doing it weekly like some club-goers isn't worth the risk of damage.
I'm trying to remember where I read those stats, to no avail.

How do you know how strong the acid you took was? Did you have it analysed?

Word of mouth from the people I knew at the time / got it from / tripped with, and also I'm normally a thorough person and health&safety freak so I did a lot of research at the time before deciding to experiment myself with it. I read countless FAQ's, LSD Synthesis Guides and website archives of LSD history and peoples 'trip-tales' before i took it for the first time.

There used to be well known (within LSD circles) blotter art that usually had an indication of the strength, I remember strawberries, popeyes (picture of popeye eating spinach), tin-tins (Tin-tin in a rocket) and some indian-style patterned tabs. And microdots, at the time we were all under the impression that microdots were 100mcg.

Thanks for the source link :smile:
It was just an example I used. LSD is very powerful and can give you hallucinations where you don't know what's real and whats not in high doses. Like you could be thinking there are aliens after you and maybe try and knife someone without knowing it... although it should be 'safe' if used in a small/normal dose with 'sober' friends in a safe environment, like your room.

LSD does not generally cause hallucinations (seeing things with no basis in reality), what it does cause are technically called "illusions" as they are based on a warping of what is actually seen.

I know about ketamine, I read about it before and even after doing it. I only done it twice and nothing bad happened as such, just high doses of it made me pretty much trip out for a few hours without any control, lost sense of my body too, no feeling of the tongue which was rather scary... I didn't find it addictive but obviously I respect my body and won't be touching drugs for sometime now.. It's all good fun a few times a year, but doing it weekly like some club-goers isn't worth the risk of damage.

Ketamine is far more risky than LSD. First of all it can leave you with difficulty moving, leaving you quite vulnerable. It can also be very habit forming and is very toxic to the bladder and urinary tract.

I have experience with both LSD and ketamine btw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending