The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by La Vache
On a different topic, does anyone know if it's a bad idea to put on the assignments form that you don't want to work in a particular department if your reason is just that everything they do sounds incredibly boring? I would obviously phrase it more politely on the form...

I was wondering this too!
Original post by richardp2020
We've vaguely discussed this before, but DfID isn't the be all and end all for international placements/experience. UKBA staff are shared between the FCO and Home Office, and I think you have a much greater chance of getting in the Home Office than DfID :smile:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmpubacc/1284/1284we04.htm

All those positions aren't fast stream ones, but it just gives a general idea of the potential you have for international experience/placements.

Yes, I realise that. Thanks :smile:
Reply 2562
TiB FSB on Monday. My FSAC report was extremely useful for assessing my weaknesses and I have tried to improve based on that before FSB.

Best of luck to those who have their FSBs next week. Will post back here with some thoughts on Monday evening.
HLS, I had mine on 17th. Make sure you don't do what I'm sure I did and overcompensate for your FSAC weaknesses!
Reply 2564
It's surprising that so many of the TiB FSB candidates are on here. All the candidates I met at my FSB visit this site.
Original post by obamtl
It's surprising that so many of the TiB FSB candidates are on here. All the candidates I met at my FSB visit this site.

It is and isn't at the same time, I would imagine TiB candidates to use the net more than the other streams. Still it is interesting how many either post or lurk here :cool:
Reply 2566
I suppose at this stage most of the posting and lurking will be being done by those who are/were involved with some kind of FSB, so I'm not so surprised at the TiB presence...just surprised at the lack of EFS people hovering around worrying about our final sift :smile:
Reply 2567
Original post by more tea vicar?
I'm going to put down DFID as my first choice, despite the fact that there is a cat in hell's chance of getting that! I can't remember or access the rest of the list at the moment...I just emailed another person about feedback who says everyone will be getting it, but it may take up 6 weeks and they will be in touch in due course.

I imagine there's nothing to stop you doing the whole process externally again but as Prince Rhyus said, some kind of sideways entry/secondment might be possible after a couple of years. Equally, once we are off the scheme we can apply to any job advertised in any department so that could be a way in too.

There was a woman at the open day who said she'd got dfid, I'm sure she'd said something like she'd gone and worked in Morocco for a few years.. They have very, very few places so do make sure the rest of your list is decent for yourself!
Reply 2568
Hi - I've only just discovered this forum - such a wealth of advice! I am also waiting for results of the FCO FSB and going mad waiting. I also spoke to Parity who said end of this week or at worst early next... lm222 do you think is likely? Or is it different for EFS candidates?

I hope we all find out soon!
Reply 2569
Original post by Moon Kitten
HLS, I had mine on 17th. Make sure you don't do what I'm sure I did and overcompensate for your FSAC weaknesses!

I am sure you did fine. I have tried to improve on my weaknesses but some of the criticisms of the fast stream report I disagree with as a point of principle.

I think the competency interviews are absolutely pointless. I said this at FSAC - you cannot assess somebody's competencies by what they tell you!
Original post by HLS
I think the competency interviews are absolutely pointless. I said this at FSAC - you cannot assess somebody's competencies by what they tell you!

I certainly wouldn't disagree with that, but based more on other interviews I have had where I tend to think these competencies interviews are good for those who can describe and boast about what work they were supposed to do on a project, but maybe not so good for those who have to deliver more than average on a project while forgetting half the things they had to do because they ended up doing a lot of the work.

I never really got a competency interview at the FSAC the end interview I found was much more interested in getting at the personal development while anytime I used a compentency based answer you could tell the intervier was really looking for a different angle to the point where I mentioned it and the interviewer made a positive comment when I therefore gave a diferent answer based on personal development. The question was base on the usual "whats your weakness and how did you address it" usual.

I did get more of the competency based questioning at the FSB and at one point had to give three examples for conflict because the first two I had addressed to quickly before it became a beatch fest between project team members and not conflicty enough.

Overall though I think it is possible to be to hypercritical especially when you have all this time to look back on the performance and am trying to take the outlook of the day is done I gave what I thought wasn't a too bad performance on the day and it will either be a yes or no.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2571
Original post by GenerationX
I certainly wouldn't disagree with that, but based more on other interviews I have had where I tend to think these competencies interviews are good for those who can describe and boast about what work they were supposed to do on a project, but maybe not so good for those who have to deliver more than average on a project while forgetting half the things they had to do because they ended up doing a lot of the work.

Well, put simply, the assessors have no way of verifying what it is you tell them! You can make up any old rubbish that makes you sound good and they can't verify it!

It is probably the least robust element of the whole selection procedure. Personally I think it is a complete waste of time.
Reply 2572
Original post by HLS
Well, put simply, the assessors have no way of verifying what it is you tell them! You can make up any old rubbish that makes you sound good and they can't verify it!

It is probably the least robust element of the whole selection procedure. Personally I think it is a complete waste of time.

Agreed they have no way of verifying what you tell them externally, but the level of detail at which my examples were scrutinized at the FSAC interview, if applied evenly across the board, would make it very difficult indeed to maintain a coherent lie. That said it is possible and therefore not totally impregnable as a means of assessment.

Re question concerning EFS different results date - put simply, no idea sorry :smile:
Reply 2573
Original post by lm222
Agreed they have no way of verifying what you tell them externally, but the level of detail at which my examples were scrutinized at the FSAC interview, if applied evenly across the board, would make it very difficult indeed to maintain a coherent lie. That said it is possible and therefore not totally impregnable as a means of assessment.

I don't agree. I think the competency interview rewards people who can bull****, or at least that was my assessment based on my interview at FSAC.

There were no *real* questions with tangible answers, they seemed to want absolute waffle about "building productive relationships across silos" and so on. Meaningless twaddle.
Err, for the departmental assignment form, do we have to put 3 locations or can we just put one down? And are people using the 7 preferred areas or just putting the minimum of 5?

Cheers!
Reply 2575
Original post by more tea vicar?
Err, for the departmental assignment form, do we have to put 3 locations or can we just put one down? And are people using the 7 preferred areas or just putting the minimum of 5?

Cheers!

I just put London down and used up all the departmental preferences
Hi all

FCO FSBer waiting on results...

Those who have been notified, how were you told? Was it directly on 'my applications' page of your progress page?

Anyone from the first FSBs around too? 21 / 22 March? Results yet?

Cheers
Original post by Lakka's Nice
Hi all

FCO FSBer waiting on results...

Those who have been notified, how were you told? Was it directly on 'my applications' page of your progress page?

Anyone from the first FSBs around too? 21 / 22 March? Results yet?

Cheers

I got 3 messages - one saying I'd failed the FCO FSB, one updating the table of FSAC results and one saying I'd failed the HoP FSB (as they don't take people who put them as 2nd choice.) Then my application page changed back to Departmental Assignment and I could start choosing the central departments.
For those who mention the central departments did you also apply to the GFS? As I only applied to the TiB FS its my understanding from the FAQ's thats its either pass the FSB or nothing as there is no fallback to the CD from anything other than GFS.
Reply 2579
Original post by GenerationX
For those who mention the central departments did you also apply to the GFS? As I only applied to the TiB FS its my understanding from the FAQ's thats its either pass the FSB or nothing as there is no fallback to the CD from anything other than GFS.

That's how I understand it mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending