The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:lurk: What sort of careers/jobs can it lead to?
Reply 61
Original post by quaveralien
:lurk: What sort of careers/jobs can it lead to?

On the uni of durham website there is a page about what career/job you can go into: http://www.dur.ac.uk/natural.sciences/current/careers/

Its such a diverse degree and allows you to choose your subjects so you can go into so many career paths.
Original post by Minnie46
On the uni of durham website there is a page about what career/job you can go into: http://www.dur.ac.uk/natural.sciences/current/careers/

Its such a diverse degree and allows you to choose your subjects so you can go into so many career paths.

Cheers :smile:
Straight Physics at Oxford, blud. Not doing any of that chemistry rubbish you have to do with NatSci.
Original post by Perpetuallity
Straight Physics at Oxford, blud. Not doing any of that chemistry rubbish you have to do with NatSci.

Bladrinz, i'm not sure you know, chemistry is physics. Suck it up broseph

oh & 1st year NatSci results don't contribute to overall degree :smile:
Reply 65
i got an offer for Lancaster on the 21st october :smile:
Original post by Brutal Chav
Bladrinz, i'm not sure you know, chemistry is physics. Suck it up broseph

oh & 1st year NatSci results don't contribute to overall degree :smile:

I often tease my chem teacher by saying, "so what applied physics do you have in store for us today, Sir".

But seriously; Oxford offers the better Physics degree.
I often tease my chem teacher by saying, "so what applied physics do you have in store for us today, Sir".

Yeah you're probably right.
Cam apparently doesn't lack on Physics content/workload and is stereotyped as the science half of Oxbridge :smile:
Can't say I like the idea of no PAT-style test though :/

I take it you've applied this year or are applying next year?
Reply 68
If you're interested in natural sciences course and/or physics courses you can compare available courses at http://www.myphysicscourse.org/
I'm applying for NatSci this year!

applied to Bath, Cambs, Birmingham, and Durham
Cambs is first choice obviously then probobly Bath second :biggrin: (not had any offers yet though :frown:)

doing A levels in: Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and AS in Further Maths (oh and general studies...)
(edited 12 years ago)
What other universities are you applying to, if u don't mind me asking?

cambridge, ucl, durham, edinburgh and leeds! you???
Reply 71
Original post by fresh2death

Cambridge, UCL, Bath, Southampton and East Anglia
Original post by fresh2death

Cambridge, UCL, Bath, Southampton and East Anglia

Why have you guys not updated the Cambridge Applicants Wiki?!

It would be great if as many people could - we'd be able to see who's applying to which college & perhaps get in touch before the interviews..
Original post by Brutal Chav
Yeah you're probably right.
Cam apparently doesn't lack on Physics content/workload and is stereotyped as the science half of Oxbridge :smile:
Can't say I like the idea of no PAT-style test though :/

I take it you've applied this year or are applying next year?

Yep, applying for Keble :rolleyes:. All the Physicists apply there- we're all really lazy! Just a 2 min walk to the lec theatres.

And your a NatSci, kid, right?
Yep, applying for Keble :rolleyes:. All the Physicists apply there- we're all really lazy! Just a 2 min walk to the lec theatres.

And your a NatSci, kid, right?

Nahh man, it was ChCh all the way until very very recently.
It's also one of the furthest colleges from the Physics dept, which is great since I love a decent morning commute :smile:
Keble's quad looks amazing too but I'd rather apply to a less oversubscribed college (no matter what they say about college choice not affecting chances of offer, it still takes some effort to reallocate candidates so I wouldn't count that an admissions tutor who's gone through ~100 applications is just as willing to deal with lads who got rejected from their preferred college) or, if the confidence is there, go with Magdalen/Merton :cool:
Reply 75
Why not contact them and ask?- you can look up NatSci courses and contact details at : http://www.myphysicscourse.org/browse.php
Reply 76
Cambridge
Durham
Nottingham - already got an offer
UCL
Southampton

maths - 89% - pred. A*
f maths - 87% - pred. A
Physics - 92% - pred A*
Chem - 82% - pred. A (bloody good explanation for having flunked summer exam (by flunked i mean 115/150))

Cambridge and Oxford are more different in thier application process than many think, both are very good and strenuous and just because i applied to cambridge im not saying its better, both are excellent, but they are different.
Oxford is more 'academic' than cambridge, on the whole they want to grades, they want you to think more like you've had to think all the way through school to get the best you can.
Cambridge look more for creative and original thought, they need the grades obviously, you need to evidence that this thought is powerful, but creativity holds more sway at camb than oxf, even in sciences.
Original post by Photox

Cambridge and Oxford are more different in thier application process than many think, both are very good and strenuous and just because i applied to cambridge im not saying its better, both are excellent, but they are different.
Oxford is more 'academic' than cambridge, on the whole they want to grades, they want you to think more like you've had to think all the way through school to get the best you can.
Cambridge look more for creative and original thought, they need the grades obviously, you need to evidence that this thought is powerful, but creativity holds more sway at camb than oxf, even in sciences.

plus only cambs do natural sciences...
Reply 78

Nah, Cambridge is better. You get to learn all the physics Oxford learns plus extra topics on the side. :wink:
Reply 79
Original post by tgarrud
plus only cambs do natural sciences...

Yes, okay :P you got me, but for generic science application :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending