The Student Room Group

Kant & Abortion/Homosexuality/Contraception

Hey,
I'm not great at philosophy but have an Ethics retake at AS Tuesday and am hoping to go up from a C.

Anyway thinking about Kant am I right in thinking that Kantian ethics applied to abortion, homosexuality, contraception, genetic engineering and IVF would oppose them all?

Abortion/Homosexuality/contraception are not universalisable - the universal law would apply that for everyone and you can't do that with these things right? If everyone had abortions or if everyone was gay, etc it wouldn't work.

As for IVF is it using the embryos as a means to an end and not an end in itself? Am I on the right lines here? Just really want to find the Kantian view on these ethical issues..

Thank-you! :smile:
Reply 1
Kant!!!! i hate that stupid ****. anyway....abortion IVF, not universalisable and really raises the question when does life begin? if at conception then means to an end, if not then it isn't. but still unethical.

contraception not universalisable again and not means to an end...i think

homosexuality.....same as contraception...i think....
Reply 2
I know nothing of Kantian ethics beyond the whole "universalisable" business, but surely use of conraception and abortion /is/ universalisable? Everybody could have one abortion, and use contraception for all times except for when they want to conceive, and population would be sustained. Homosexuality is a little more troubling.

Latest

Trending

Trending