The Student Room Group

Bristol Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Got my confirmation email earlier! :smile:
Reply 101
Original post by marc_h94
All you Bristol applicants better have a cracking personal statement! They base selection on 20% grades and 80% personal statement. I wish you all luck, that stupid policy made me think twice about applying.

hey mate, where was this 80/20% information sourced from? Is it from their website or did someone just hear it from another person? Just want to know if this info is credible since just 20% weight on academics seems pretty damn low
Reply 102
Original post by brighteyes1994
Got my confirmation email earlier! :smile:

When did you submit your application? I still haven't received one and i sent mine more than a week ago :confused:
Original post by jasqur
When did you submit your application? I still haven't received one and i sent mine more than a week ago :confused:

A couple of weeks ago :smile: don't worry, you'll get yours soon, I'm sure :smile:

Original post by .eXe
hey mate, where was this 80/20% information sourced from? Is it from their website or did someone just hear it from another person? Just want to know if this info is credible since just 20% weight on academics seems pretty damn low

People who went to the open days said that that was what the admissions tutors said.
I went to the open day and didn't hear anything about a 20/80% policy :s-smilie: But considering that they don't take the UKCAT into account (and they get shed loads of applicants), they probably have to scrutinise the personal statement more than other univerities.
Original post by Jackillingworth15

I went to the open day and didn't hear anything about a 20/80% policy :s-smilie: But considering that they don't take the UKCAT into account (and they get shed loads of applicants), they probably have to scrutinise the personal statement more than other univerities.

Go back like 5 pages on this thread and you'll see about three people saying that after having been to the open day (21st September I believe)
Reply 107

I went to the Open Day and that wasnt what I heard. Will go and have a look at my scribbled notes later on and report back what I thought was said. Bit late now as most of us have submitted the applications
Reply 108
I havent! Please take a look lol.

I just want to be sure its true cause although I have heard a few rumors it could just be one person saying it and others following :s
Original post by fuzzycat

Original post by fuzzycat
I went to the Open Day and that wasnt what I heard. Will go and have a look at my scribbled notes later on and report back what I thought was said. Bit late now as most of us have submitted the applications

Please do so! This is confusing me. Why would those people have said that :s-smilie:
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Went to the open day today and loved it :smile: Will definitely be applying.

They said they mark candidates on the following:
20% grades (8% GCSE, 12% predictions. They said they take predictions to be more important than AS results?)
80% personal statement.

No pressure at all to get the 'perfect' personal statement then :lol:

Sorry to quote you but this is my source everyone :tongue:
Fair play, I might have just forgotten about that then! Hope my personal statement is good enough seeing as my applications been sent.
Fair play, I might have just forgotten about that then! Hope my personal statement is good enough seeing as my applications been sent.

I didn't go to any of the talks (got stuck in traffic on the way down). I went to the medical section and the Head of Medical Admissions was hanging around. I asked her specifically what they look for as the prospectus is really ambiguous.
Reply 113
OP, perhaps add a poll for GCSEs?

I have literally no idea what bristol want! Atleast this year they've gone up from AAB to AAA, this should make them a little less competitive (im a gapper applicant now!) Surely they should care about my achieved grades? is this just the same 12% for predictions or is the fact that its achieved valued more? And if they are reading thousands of personal statements how can they remember them all and compare each with the others accurately? :/ Surely academics must come into it! For some reason i feel they go by GCSEs and A2 predictions/results..
Reply 114
Anyone know Bristols statistic's in terms of:

Applications
Interviews
Offers

And also are they really crazy about A*s because I have not got great GCSEs.
My GCSEs are 3 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs (Maths, english and science GCSEs are all grade A* or A)
Reply 115
Bristol is known for not giving out explicit information. They choose to remain vague so I'm afraid not many people know statistics.

Ive emailed them before and always get the standard reply which doesn't answer my specific questions
Reply 116
Original post by Adam9
Anyone know Bristols statistic's in terms of:

Applications
Interviews
Offers

And also are they really crazy about A*s because I have not got great GCSEs.
My GCSEs are 3 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs (Maths, english and science GCSEs are all grade A* or A)

Applications: 4800
Interviews: (''In the region of'') 750

This is for all 3 medical courses apparently.
Reply 117
Any international applicants to Bristol? Canadian? If yes, PM me please.
Reply 118
Officially applied here!
Reply 119
Original post by marc_h94
All you Bristol applicants better have a cracking personal statement! They base selection on 20% grades and 80% personal statement. I wish you all luck, that stupid policy made me think twice about applying.

Somehow, it seems illogical to mostly base on someone's personal statement to decide on whether an applicant should get into med school or not. Is this really true? Shouldnt it be more on the marks? :biggrin: Just a thought

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending