The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

I got 90 UMS and I only got a B in AS,

I worked my assss offf
I Got a B in AS and 95% in this unit - WOOO so pleased!
and shocked seen as i genuinlly thought id failed!
Reply 2463
I know this is a very stupid question and im going to look like a total idiot for asking but i dont get UMS?
ive just been working out what % I got in each exam and seeing how many im off the next grade ..
Reply 2464
Original post by asaaal
I know this is a very stupid question and im going to look like a total idiot for asking but i dont get UMS?
ive just been working out what % I got in each exam and seeing how many im off the next grade ..

What don't you understand about UMS?
Has anyone had their paper sent back? im considering getting it remarked but i cant even remember what the questions were like :| can someone send me a copy of their paper or at least a document of the questions for me to refer to?
Is it worth resitting Biol1 and biol2 or Biol4 and biol2?
Original post by Kandy_Kain_94

Depends what your ums was.
What did you score in biol4?
Original post by EffKayy
Depends what your ums was.
What did you score in biol4?

65 UMS
Reply 2469
65 UMS

I would resit Biol4 if you're aiming for an A overall :smile:

What did you get in Biol1? :smile:
Our teacher is requesting back loads of papers from the board(including mine). Saved £10 :smug:
You lot can help me decide now then. My UMS from AS was 235. In BIO4, I got 68 UMS, and I got my provisional result for the ISA today (my teacher is contesting the exam board on a question) which was 40/50, which in previous years has been 48 and 50 UMS, and I've resat my AS ISA but am quite unlikely to have done any better. This makes a total so far of 351 (ish).
My question is, as I only need a B to meet my offer, do I now coast along, relax, get a D in my final exam and meet my offer? Or, do I push for an A, for which I need 129/140, and resit unit 4 in the hope of picking up a few more UMS? I already have five exams in the summer :s
Reply 2473
Original post by juliewho
You lot can help me decide now then. My UMS from AS was 235. In BIO4, I got 68 UMS, and I got my provisional result for the ISA today (my teacher is contesting the exam board on a question) which was 40/50, which in previous years has been 48 and 50 UMS, and I've resat my AS ISA but am quite unlikely to have done any better. This makes a total so far of 351 (ish).
My question is, as I only need a B to meet my offer, do I now coast along, relax, get a D in my final exam and meet my offer? Or, do I push for an A, for which I need 129/140, and resit unit 4 in the hope of picking up a few more UMS? I already have five exams in the summer :s

Really up to you. Primary need of A level results is for university but sometimes you do like to reach your full potential. If your offer is conditional on a B and you're confident you can achieve that you shouldn't bother about retaking. However if you feel you are capable of going all the way and achieving an A then you should resit unit 4. Will you be able to cope with the load of an extra exam? If you have even a slight worry that your other results could suffer, don't risk it.
Original post by myyrh
Really up to you. Primary need of A level results is for university but sometimes you do like to reach your full potential. If your offer is conditional on a B and you're confident you can achieve that you shouldn't bother about retaking. However if you feel you are capable of going all the way and achieving an A then you should resit unit 4. Will you be able to cope with the load of an extra exam? If you have even a slight worry that your other results could suffer, don't risk it.

Thanks for the swift reply. Yes, my offer is AAB and i'm much more secure in getting A's in my other subjects, so there's no real need to get an A, it's just a matter of personal ambition. I think i'm capable of doing better in BIO4, but then BIO5 has an essay, so even if I improve my grade, I might not do well enough in the next exam to get an A overall anyway. I don't think it will impact upon my other exams, so part of me wants to just go for it, but the other part says I should just sit back and meet my offer and be done with it :tongue:
Original post by handsome7654
What did you get in Biol1? :smile:

I got 65 UMS for Biol1 and for Biol4.
Got a B in this unit, thank god I don't have to resit. :s-smilie:

Need around 94 UMS from BIOL5 and BIO6T to get a C overall or 154 UMS for a B. :smile:
i got a U in this unit lol i was focusing too much on my other exams..ohwell resit!!
I got 65 UMS for Biol1 and for Biol4.

Well it is better to resit Biol1 cuz Biol1 is hell of a lot easier than Biol4!
If I were you I'd resit all three (biol1, 2 and 4) cuz it would help for the unit 5 essay!
AS modules
80 UMS on unit 1 - A
88 UMS on unit 2 - C
60 UMS on ISA - A

AS total UMS is 228.

A2 modules
90 UMS on unit 4 -A*
We've done an ISA but I'm being quite critical and saying 50/60 UMS.
So, that takes me to 368 UMS/460 which I believe is just over 80% A.
Do you guys think it's worth resitting unit 2 in June? I think that would be easier for me to pick up at least a few more UMS marks bring it to a B which will boost my AS grade up to an A. So I can perhaps get a B on unit 5 and have an A overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending