The Student Room Group

Execution is imminent!!:Help save Troy Davies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I hate to say this but it looks like he's f***ed.

Unless they do something within the next 50 mins :s-smilie:

looking increasingly likely he is , shame....
Original post by eLECTROLOSIS
My opinion: The state of Georgia would rather kill a man than be proven to have made a mistake

I also think race has something to do with it ... :frown:
I don't believe in the death penalty, end of. So whether or not he commited the crime, I completely disagree with this death sentence. I can't see how these draconian 'an eye for an eye' laws still exist and can be seen as reasonable punishments?

As of 5 May 2011 executions have been reported in the following 9 countries during 2011: Bangladesh, China, Iran, North Korea, the Palestinian Authority, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, UAE, USA

Just goes to show how backwards America is, joining countries like North Korea.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63

i read something on someone even viewing it as a class issue can't remember where though
Reply 64
The only thing that could save him now is the President getting involved, which I think he can do because it's been through the Federal courts.
Original post by hamijack
The only thing that could save him now is the President getting involved, which I think he can do because it's been through the Federal courts.

Do you mean you think he "can't" do? :s-smilie: I thought I read something about him not being able to get involved for some reason. If he can, he better act pretty damn quickly :frown:
Well the US Supreme court have just this second denied his final appeal (Source: FoxNews)...

I can only imagine what state the guy is in at this time.
Reply 67
Hmm.

Well, after 20 years, numerous appeals and a ton ofevidence he is still thought to be guilty by the American Judicial system. I think that has some merit to it.

And the timing of the recantations of the statements is a little suspect to me.
Original post by eLECTROLOSIS

I can only imagine what state the guy is in at this time.

Pretty sure he's in Georgia.

Spoiler

Original post by Heavenly_Blues
Pretty sure he's in Georgia.

Spoiler

:colonhash:
Original post by Steevee
Hmm.

Well, after 20 years, numerous appeals and a ton ofevidence he is still thought to be guilty by the American Judicial system. I think that has some merit to it.

Except there isn't. No murder weapon, no physical evidence, dodgy eyewitness accounts.

This conviction has no merit whatsoever.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Steevee
Hmm.

people do things and own up years later after their consiciences get the best of them... lets not forget this is the same judicial system that allowed OJ simpson and Casey Anthony walk free
Fox reports his execution is minutes away.
Original post by Rainbow River
Fox reports his execution is minutes away.

Link please.
Reply 74
Except there isn't. No murder weapon, no physical evidence, dodgy eyewitness accounts.

This conviction has no merit whatsoever.

We had various testemonies, ballistic evidence and so on. Honestly, I am not totally up to speed on the case, but the fact that, after 20 years of appeals the sentence has not even been commuted to life imprisonment says to me that the conviction does, infact, have some merit.

Original post by TheEssence
people do things and own up years later after their consiciences get the best of them... lets not forget this is the same judicial system that allowed OJ simpson and Casey Anthony walk free

Uh-huh. So waiting until 8 days before the date of an execution to be convinced by the defense that you might have been bullied by the Police at the time smacks of honesty does it?
He's been given a Stay of Execution!!

Edit: according to Democracy Now.
Reply 77

They might as well have enshrined the American South's right to kill innocent blacks a few times a year because they are never going to stop. The funny thing is that most American's who support the death penalty find themselves in a higher risk category than blacks; Retarded and poor.
Wow. Wouldn't stun me if this stay is true. Seems to happen a lot. Hope it's true. Death penalty is ALWAYS wrong, but this is something else.
Reply 79
Do you mean you think he "can't" do? :s-smilie: I thought I read something about him not being able to get involved for some reason. If he can, he better act pretty damn quickly :frown:

A president can commute a death sentence if the case is a Federal one or has been through a Federal court (I think) however there are big political ramifications to it if he did it.
EDIT: It's a state prosecution so he can't get involved without some sort of state's rights/constitutional crises.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending