The Student Room Group

How do i get better at french listening?

WHEN I DID YR 10 MOCKS, I COULD NOT PICK UP WORDS FAST ENOUGH AND I GOT OVERWHELMED AND CRIED FOR 20 MINUTES. :smile:
MIND YOU, THAT WAS FOUNDATION!!!!! AND MY OVERACHIEVING SELF WANTS TO DO HIGHER FOR THE REAL THING, HELP!!!!!!!! AD IF YOU HAVE ANY DDITIONAL TIPS FOR GCSE FRENCH IIN GENERAL, HELP WITH THAT TOO
(i do aqa if that helps)
Original post by hannahayomide
WHEN I DID YR 10 MOCKS, I COULD NOT PICK UP WORDS FAST ENOUGH AND I GOT OVERWHELMED AND CRIED FOR 20 MINUTES. :smile:
MIND YOU, THAT WAS FOUNDATION!!!!! AND MY OVERACHIEVING SELF WANTS TO DO HIGHER FOR THE REAL THING, HELP!!!!!!!! AD IF YOU HAVE ANY DDITIONAL TIPS FOR GCSE FRENCH IIN GENERAL, HELP WITH THAT TOO
(i do aqa if that helps)

Hiii
I do edexcel French but I’m sure it’s similar enough!
I find listening to past papers really helps as you get used to the speed and picking up words needed for the answers.
Also, Duolingo has nice podcasts on Spotify which has English bits in between to keep you caught up with the story- I think they’re only like 10-20 minutes so one every so often again gets you used to listening!
Also, if you have Netflix, or Disney or Prime or anything, rewatch your fav series but turn your audio to French with either English or French subtitles to try and match what you’re hearing to what you’re reading (I didn’t find this super helpful but I know people who swear by it!)

What I found most helpful tbh is the past papers but I know it’s different for everyone 😁

For other tips, just try to learn a few bits of vocab each week as it really builds up what you can read/listen to and understand. We were given booklets with everything we needed to learn in, but if not maybe look at past papers/specifications to work it out.

Hope that makes sense!!
Vous pouvez ecouter les podcastes de duolingo, Le narrateur parle en francais, mais l'hote parle en anglais, pour ne pas vous perdre. Alternativement, Il y a des autres podcasts aussi, j'ecoute "The news in slow french" presque tous les jours, ils publient un nouvel episode chaque semaine a trois niveaux:- debutants; intermediaaires et avances.

P.S. Pouvez vous arreter de taper en majuscules s'il vous plait, c'est l'equivalent sur Internet de crier :wink:

Spoiler

(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
thanksssss
Original post by Tedious_Cat
Hiii
I do edexcel French but I’m sure it’s similar enough!
I find listening to past papers really helps as you get used to the speed and picking up words needed for the answers.
Also, Duolingo has nice podcasts on Spotify which has English bits in between to keep you caught up with the story- I think they’re only like 10-20 minutes so one every so often again gets you used to listening!
Also, if you have Netflix, or Disney or Prime or anything, rewatch your fav series but turn your audio to French with either English or French subtitles to try and match what you’re hearing to what you’re reading (I didn’t find this super helpful but I know people who swear by it!)

What I found most helpful tbh is the past papers but I know it’s different for everyone 😁

For other tips, just try to learn a few bits of vocab each week as it really builds up what you can read/listen to and understand. We were given booklets with everything we needed to learn in, but if not maybe look at past papers/specifications to work it out.

Hope that makes sense!!

Quick Reply

Latest