The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Miryo
Yes but will the D have a significant effect on the chances of being accepted?

It depends what you mean by significant. Will it be the difference between receiving an offer and not? I can't answer that without having your complete application in front of me. Is it significant in the sense that it will matter for your application what grade you got at GCSE French? Yes, because GCSE grades play a role in our admissions process.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 241
Original post by zee2412
I have a question I m gonna apply next year for two different courses Economics and Accountivg and finance and Warwick is one of my choice so how should I write my personal statement if I am applying for 2 courses

It's typically hard to do this because we are interested in a commitment to your chosen course of study, and, whilst there's no problem with being interested in different subject areas, you have a limited number of words in which to communicate this to the person reading your application, and words in which you describe your interest in one subject take away from words about the other.
Reply 242
Original post by mrmowgles
I have applied for L100 Economics and these are my grades:

IGCSE: 9A*
(Mathematics, Economics, Business Studies, French, English Language, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Computer Studies)

AS Level: aaab
(a in Economics, Chemistry and
Physics. b in Mathematics)

A2 Predicteds: A*A*AAaa
(A* in Economics and Physics, A in Chemstry and Mathematics A2, a in English Language and Literature and Mathematics AS)

I am retaking AS Level Mathematics. With regard to this, I just found out about the AWARDS Application and I wanted to explain this blip in my result, as well as my low predicted grade in Mathematics A2. However, the website said that if I submitted UCAS before this (early October), I should contact the Admissions Office. What should I do?

Also, as far as my grades are concerned, how competitive an application do I have?

Hi,
I would contact the UG Admissions office ([email protected]) with regards to the Warwick Awards application, as that is handled centrally by them and I don't have any specific information which would be helpful for you.

On the basis that your IGCSE results couldn't be any better, I'd say you are fine there (!) , but we are interested in mathematical ability at A-Level, so I would say it's important for you to discuss your maths performance to date in some fashion (through Awards or personal statement), to give the results some context.
Reply 243
Original post by University of Warwick
Hi,
yes, certainly, mid December is not considered too late. I believe there will still be offers to make at this stage.

Hi,
If my referee is a Maths teacher, who doesn't speak english? Is it ok, or warwick can call her? :smile:
Reply 244
Original post by bertos
Hi,
If my referee is a Maths teacher, who doesn't speak english? Is it ok, or warwick can call her? :smile:

Hi,
you will need to email the central admissions office ([email protected]) about this
Hi,
you will need to email the central admissions office ([email protected]) about this

Don't know if you can answer this, but it was worth a shot:

1) From your experience, what's the typical GCSE profile of successful applicants (no. of A*s)
2) The number of A*s achieved at A level

(I'll be reapplying next year)

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 246
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Don't know if you can answer this, but it was worth a shot:

1) From your experience, what's the typical GCSE profile of successful applicants (no. of A*s)
2) The number of A*s achieved at A level

(I'll be reapplying next year)

Thanks! :smile:

Hi,
I really don't have data on GCSE scores, and haven't analysed the A-Level results from last year, but, as I've said elsewhere, every Home/Eu student who gained entry to the department last year met our offer, and, hence, had at least one A*.
Reply 247
Original post by k-fun
Due to personal circumstances I was not able to apply earlier this year and have only finished my PS recently.

One of the first postings here says: "The consequence of this, however, is that places will fill up quickly (as we are more decisive), and so we would encourage you to apply as early as possible in the cycle."

In light of this information, are there still places left in L100 Economics and is there still point in applying now?

I am an EU student if that matters.

Hi,
yes, from looking at our latest figures (end November), we still have offers to be made, so would encourage you to apply.
Reply 248
Hi,
yes, from looking at our latest figures (end November), we still have offers to be made, so would encourage you to apply.

Will offers stop going out during the xmas holidays? Or will people still recieve offers over the holidays?
I am looking to apply to Warwick again for Economics

I had an offer last year from Warwick but got AAAB so I missed the offer.
They were in Hist, Maths, Econ and Chem (the B)
Also did further maths AS and got a D (one UMS off a C) and did module fp1 s2 and s3

GCSE's: 8A* 4A 1B

I am resitting in Jan to boost the A's to A*'s
But my school will not be giving me new predictions because I am studying from home and therefore they have no basis for making predictions.

So am I a suitable candidate to re-apply to Economics L100 at Warwick, considering that I am resitting.

Will Warwick recognize that I applied last year, and if not can I use the AWARDS form for that?

Thank You
Reply 250
Original post by zxh800
Will offers stop going out during the xmas holidays? Or will people still recieve offers over the holidays?

The university shuts down for a period of time over the holidays, but I have no reason to think there won't be processing of applications happening until that date.
The university shuts down for a period of time over the holidays, but I have no reason to think there won't be processing of applications happening until that date.

This sounds quite...(can't think of he word) but would Warwick count two short course GCSEs (IT and RS) with the same grade achieved in both of them (A*) a full A* or two halve A*S. Thanks!
Reply 252
Original post by therockandsock
I am looking to apply to Warwick again for Economics

I had an offer last year from Warwick but got AAAB so I missed the offer.
They were in Hist, Maths, Econ and Chem (the B)
Also did further maths AS and got a D (one UMS off a C) and did module fp1 s2 and s3

GCSE's: 8A* 4A 1B

I am resitting in Jan to boost the A's to A*'s
But my school will not be giving me new predictions because I am studying from home and therefore they have no basis for making predictions.

So am I a suitable candidate to re-apply to Economics L100 at Warwick, considering that I am resitting.

Will Warwick recognize that I applied last year, and if not can I use the AWARDS form for that?

Thank You

yes, I think the fact that you applied last year, and are resitting some exams, will have an effect on your situation and subsequent chances of receiving an offer. I would encourage you to email the main UG admissions team, [email protected], to get some more information on whether the Warwick AWARDS would be a helpful/necessary tool to communicate your own particular circumstance.
Hi,

I sent my application in around 6 weeks ago.
Should I expect a reply before the end of 2011?

Is there any possibility of you stating how many offers have already been made?
Reply 254
Original post by Tomatochuckers
This sounds quite...(can't think of he word) but would Warwick count two short course GCSEs (IT and RS) with the same grade achieved in both of them (A*) a full A* or two halve A*S. Thanks!

Hi,
we don't tend to simply "count them up" in the manner you describe. I think we look at the GCSE's (and equivalent qualifications) you were entered for, and the marks you achieved in those exams, and make a call on how well we think you performed given the subjects you chose to study, in the context of your overall application. It's a more subjective process than just trying to equate numbers and grades.
Reply 255
Original post by blooper123
Hi,

I sent my application in around 6 weeks ago.
Should I expect a reply before the end of 2011?

Is there any possibility of you stating how many offers have already been made?

Hi,
you would need to contact [email protected] for info on application processing times, but I'd encourage you to be patient as we have a lot of applications to work through, and a lot of information to check, in order to make the right decisions. I can say we are processing applications much faster this year than we did do last year, however.

I don't have figures on how many offers have been made as of today. I do have figures from the end of November, but wouldn't want to give them out on the basis that

a) they don't mean anything without also knowing how many applications we've rejected / the number of applications made / how many offers we plan to make (which we wouldn't give out at this stage anyway)
b) on the basis of point a), putting out meaningless information will only ever give rise to mis-interpretation and false conclusions being drawn, which is not good for anyone to either hear or listen to.
I got AAAABBBBCC at GCSE and I have an offer for Warwick, I wouldn't worry :/
Original post by Sweetcorn_1
I got AAAABBBBCC at GCSE and I have an offer for Warwick, I wouldn't worry :/

Is this for economics and may I as what your predicted grades were?

Thanks a lot! :smile:
Hi,
we don't tend to simply "count them up" in the manner you describe. I think we look at the GCSE's (and equivalent qualifications) you were entered for, and the marks you achieved in those exams, and make a call on how well we think you performed given the subjects you chose to study, in the context of your overall application. It's a more subjective process than just trying to equate numbers and grades.

OK thanks for the help. I appreciate it! :smile:
Reply 259
Hi,
you would need to contact [email protected] for info on application processing times, but I'd encourage you to be patient as we have a lot of applications to work through, and a lot of information to check, in order to make the right decisions. I can say we are processing applications much faster this year than we did do last year, however.

I don't have figures on how many offers have been made as of today. I do have figures from the end of November, but wouldn't want to give them out on the basis that

a) they don't mean anything without also knowing how many applications we've rejected / the number of applications made / how many offers we plan to make (which we wouldn't give out at this stage anyway)
b) on the basis of point a), putting out meaningless information will only ever give rise to mis-interpretation and false conclusions being drawn, which is not good for anyone to either hear or listen to.

Hi,
When you say you have info to check, does that mean that if we sent out UMS within our UCAS application, you will be checking them or do you assume them to be the truth and verify them later.
In your own view, do you regard the UMS achieved in the A levels done as more important in the application process than GCSE's or less important. So if someone applied with AS or even post A level UMS of 95%+ in all subjects would this be enough to give that applicant an edge over others who did better than him at GCSE but have average UMS ?

Quick Reply

Latest