The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MeerkatSwag
Hello,

I'm currently in year 13 and I received an offer for economics a few months ago. Unfortunately I've had to reject it as I couldn't sit my final A level exams due to extenuating circumstances (severe depression). I will be reapplying this coming September as I resit Year 13. I'm aware that taking 3 years to complete A levels disadvantages students but would this be to the extent where I shouldn't bother applying or is there still a chance?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi MeerkatSwag. Since your situation involves extenuating circumstances, I suggest you contact the Undergraduate Admissions Team directly - their email address is [email protected]
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by pic
Will a strong candidate who is applying for a dual honours course elsewhere, so has a mixed personal statement be disadvantaged ?

Hi pic. We are aware that students will be applying for different courses at different universities, some involving joint honours. This should not disadvantage you so long as you stress your enthusiasm and wider reading for Economics.
Original post by University of Warwick
Hello. Our typical offer for Economics is A*AA with at least an A in A Level Maths so this should give you some idea of what we would be looking for in terms of predicted grades and AS level grades. It is probably best to wait and see what your AS results come out as.

For the Personal Statement, stress your enthusiasm for the subject, wide reading and motivation. Focus on the subject rather than extra-curricular activities but non-academic information can be useful especially if it supports your academic achievements.

Ok so what is the optimal percentage for the Economics part of the PS. Should I use 90-95% of the space for economics? Also would selectors prefer to see students identify one or two particular parts of economics they enjoy the most as opposed to keeping it broad and delving into other areas?

Do selectors value activities on the personal statement differently? For example: wider reading, relevant work experience, essay competitions, lectures Etc. Are some of these favoured more than others

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,
I have received an offer for Economics. I need to achieve A*AA in August but I am worried this could slip to A*AB. How likely is it that I could keep a place at the university if this were to happen? My AS grades were not brilliant at AAABD and at GCSE I received 10 A*'s and 2A's. Thanks in advance!
Reply 1104
I'm interested in studying economics at Uni as a main subject but I love French and wanted it to be a part of my undergraduate course. Is there any way that this can be done if the uni doesn't explicitly offer an Economics with French (or something like that) course? In the US you can do majors and minors so I was looking there but dear god it is expensive!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I list the credentials of a candidate, could you give me an idea of how strong and applicant they would be for the economics course? Thanks

GCSE: 7A*3A

AS : AAAAB in Maths,Economics,Geography,French and further Maths respectively

A2: A*AA in Geography, Maths, Economics respectively

Reply would be much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AvKar
I'm interested in studying economics at Uni as a main subject but I love French and wanted it to be a part of my undergraduate course. Is there any way that this can be done if the uni doesn't explicitly offer an Economics with French (or something like that) course? In the US you can do majors and minors so I was looking there but dear god it is expensive!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can take optional modules for languages as part of the course, in languages including French, as part of the degree, or you can take them outside of the degree as an extra (for which there is a fee)

Original post by Don Joiner
If I list the credentials of a candidate, could you give me an idea of how strong and applicant they would be for the economics course? Thanks

GCSE: 7A*3A

AS : AAAAB in Maths,Economics,Geography,French and further Maths respectively

A2: A*AA in Geography, Maths, Economics respectively

Reply would be much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should be fine, provided your PS is strong and reference good. But IMO, you should keep FM to A2, as it makes for a stronger candidate (It isn't a requirement, but it would help)
N.B. If the A2 line is predictions, then maybe ask for higher predictions in both maths and economics, as that would also help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi there. I hold an offer for Politics, International Studies and French at Warwick, for 2015 entry, but I now wish I'd applied for EPAIS instead. However I don't have a very strong background in maths and have never formally studied economics, so I was wondering if my application would be a competitive one if I were to apply for EPAIS this autumn, for 2016 entry.

I received 41 points in my IB Diploma, including 7 6 6 at HL in History, Psychology and French, respectively. I took 6 IGCSEs (due to extenuating circumstances) and achieved 5A* and 1A. My maths qualifications are a 7 in SL Maths Studies and an A* in IGCSE Maths.

Thank you!
I was wondering if Warwick views the UMS scores of each modules an applicant has taken at AS-level in order to determine whether or not an offer will be made, as I know that some Unis do and some don't.

Also, would you have any preference to a candidate who has taken four A2s, including Further Maths, over another who has an identical selection of subjects but excluding FM? Especially if taking FM means that the other results suffer (slightly)?
Original post by Kokopod
Hi there. I hold an offer for Politics, International Studies and French at Warwick, for 2015 entry, but I now wish I'd applied for EPAIS instead. However I don't have a very strong background in maths and have never formally studied economics, so I was wondering if my application would be a competitive one if I were to apply for EPAIS this autumn, for 2016 entry.

I received 41 points in my IB Diploma, including 7 6 6 at HL in History, Psychology and French, respectively. I took 6 IGCSEs (due to extenuating circumstances) and achieved 5A* and 1A. My maths qualifications are a 7 in SL Maths Studies and an A* in IGCSE Maths.

Thank you!

I wanna go for EPAIS at Warwick too! I got 40 points tho but im not going to wait a years so im going for adjustment.
Economics and Economics History (LSE) vs Economics (Warwick)
Hi,
I am an offer holder for Law. I took History, Economics and Maths for my A-levels. Presumably, I met the my conditions for Law, can I ring the university and ask to be transferred to Economics on Result Day? Or should I read Law for 1 term and ask laters?
Many thanks.
Original post by thewhoopiepie
Hi,
I am an offer holder for Law. I took History, Economics and Maths for my A-levels. Presumably, I met the my conditions for Law, can I ring the university and ask to be transferred to Economics on Result Day? Or should I read Law for 1 term and ask laters?
Many thanks.

I think you'd have to meet the requirements for the course you're transferring to, which is A*AA. I've heard you can do it later, i.e. during the first term, but I'm pretty sure the same condition of entry requirements still applies.
https://www.warwicksu.com/advice/academic/changingcourse/
I'd do it a few weeks into the term.
Original post by iBall
Ok so what is the optimal percentage for the Economics part of the PS. Should I use 90-95% of the space for economics? Also would selectors prefer to see students identify one or two particular parts of economics they enjoy the most as opposed to keeping it broad and delving into other areas?

Do selectors value activities on the personal statement differently? For example: wider reading, relevant work experience, essay competitions, lectures Etc. Are some of these favoured more than others

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is not really an exact optimal percentage for each part of the Personal Statement. If there is a particular area of Economics that you feel strongly about, then you are welcome to focus on that.

The activities that you have mentioned are all important, as long as they demonstrate how they support your academic achievements and enthusiasm for the subject.
Original post by bridiet
Hello,
I have received an offer for Economics. I need to achieve A*AA in August but I am worried this could slip to A*AB. How likely is it that I could keep a place at the university if this were to happen? My AS grades were not brilliant at AAABD and at GCSE I received 10 A*'s and 2A's. Thanks in advance!

Hi bridiet, thanks for your question. As you will be aware, competition for places on the Economics course is quite strong and we are not able to gauge how likely you are to have your offer confirmed if you do not meet the grades until we see how all of our offer holders have done tomorrow.

In the case that you miss your offer, you should check the following webpage in the first instance which includes steps for you to take and the appropriate contact details: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/next/confirmationhotline

Best of luck for tomorrow!
Original post by Kokopod

Thank you!

Hello. The entry requirements for EPAIS are 38 points in the IB, including either 5 in SL Maths or 4 in HL Maths. We don't require Economics A Level or equivalent for entry onto our courses. If you are worried about mitigating circumstances, it is best if you email the Undergraduate Admissions team directly: [email protected]
Original post by thewhoopiepie
Hi,
Many thanks.

Hi there. The likelihood of you being able to transfer into Economics will depend on whether we have any places and if you meet the entry requirements (A*AA including Maths). It is best to contact UG Admissions once you have received your results to enquire about this possibility - but please note that transfers are not guaranteed.
Reply 1117
Hi there,

I am looking to apply to Warwick economics starting September 2016 and have a couple of questions regarding A-levels.

1. How would it be looked upon to have dropped economics after AS?

2. Is the criteria still A*AAa/A*AAB or is it now simply A*AA?

3. What chance does someone stand who got 11A*s at GCSE, then aaab (the b being in economics) at AS-level and then dropped economics and has A*AA predicted for A2?

Many thanks
Original post by satsum
Hi there,

I am looking to apply to Warwick economics starting September 2016 and have a couple of questions regarding A-levels.

1. How would it be looked upon to have dropped economics after AS?

2. Is the criteria still A*AAa/A*AAB or is it now simply A*AA?

3. What chance does someone stand who got 11A*s at GCSE, then aaab (the b being in economics) at AS-level and then dropped economics and has A*AA predicted for A2?

Many thanks

Hi, I'm going to start at Warwick this October, so maybe I can help you a bit! (Responses from OP tend to be fairly late)
1. The only requirement for economics at Warwick (or any other top uni) is maths. You don't need economics a level to get in. However, I haven't heard of someone taking economics and then dropping it at A2, so you might want to reconsider that. It wouldn't be a good way of showing your passion for the subject.

2. The standard offer is now A*AA with Maths. No more needing an extra AS or A2. Having 4A2's would strengthen your application in terms of showing academic ability, but it won't be part of your offer.

3. Your GCSE's are very good, so no problem there. AS is also good (I got AAAB too, but the B was in physics). As I previously said, dropping economics isn't the end of the world, but I would assume it would weaken your application to have dropped it at A2. Your predictions are considered, but don't count for too much, so I wouldn't worry about that. Just ask for as high a prediction in each subject as you can, but you meet the minimum level, so that's okay.
Reply 1119
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Hi, I'm going to start at Warwick this October, so maybe I can help you a bit! (Responses from OP tend to be fairly late)
1. The only requirement etc.

Many thanks for the quick reply, most helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest