The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Donald Draper
I was wondering if Warwick views the UMS scores of each modules an applicant has taken at AS-level in order to determine whether or not an offer will be made, as I know that some Unis do and some don't.

Also, would you have any preference to a candidate who has taken four A2s, including Further Maths, over another who has an identical selection of subjects but excluding FM? Especially if taking FM means that the other results suffer (slightly)?

Hi Donald Draper. When looking at applications, we look at the overall grade for the AS and the predicted A2 grade when deciding whether or not to make an offer.

We do not require Further Maths at A Level, so not taking Further Maths will not disadvantage you.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hi. I have just re-sat year 12. How much of a disadvantage will that put me at when applying for L100 Economics for 2016 entry?

If relevant, my grades were originally DDU in maths A2, history AS, economics AS. They are now A*AAAA in maths A2, history AS, economics AS, f.maths AS, business studies AS.

Thanks
Original post by ChrisP97
Hi. I have just re-sat year 12. How much of a disadvantage will that put me at when applying for L100 Economics for 2016 entry?

If relevant, my grades were originally DDU in maths A2, history AS, economics AS. They are now A*AAAA in maths A2, history AS, economics AS, f.maths AS, business studies AS.

Thanks

Hi ChrisP97

This would put you at a slight disadvantage unfortunately. Although you have now obtained good grades and you can apply, there is no guarantee that you will receive an offer and you should be aware that you will be competing in a pool of students who are all, in the majority, predicted to meet our entry requirements at one sitting, without doing re-takes.

If there are extenuating circumstances which explain your first year performance, you could flag these up with Undergraduate Admissions ([email protected]), who would be able to give you further guidance on this.
Hey I am wondering if it is worth applying if my target grades for A2 were AAA or would I be rejected due to the requirements being A*AA and the competitiveness of the course?
Hi,

I just got my AS results and I am disappointed with what I got because I think it won't be could enough for Warwick to even consider for the Economics course. I got an A in Economics, an A in Biology but a C in Maths and a C in Chemistry (which I will be dropping). My predicted grades are as follows: A* Biology, A* Economics and an A in Maths. I don't feel comfortable applying since I believe the AS results are weak.

Would there be a point in applying?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1125
Hey, if I did an economics undergrad degree with French as one of the modules then a) is there any option to go abroad for some time as part of the course and b) would the French be a big part of the degree or just a tiny bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm just wondering whether Warwick views Geography A level as an essay-based subject?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, i am looking to apply for EPIS at Warwick and received 3 A's and a C in chemistry. I knew i was dropping chemistry anyway before the exam. I got an A* prediction in Economics and A predictions in Maths and Spanish ( despite being close to the 90% boundary in both). I am also doing AS italian and AS Further Maths this year. As for GCSE's i got 9A*'s and 3A's.I was wondering how my chances are for applying and what an offer would consist of?Thanks.
Hello,

My as results are AAAB, and my subject are maths, chemistry, biology and English language. I decided to drop biology even though I got an A in that and took on English language because I thought it would be better for my course. However my predictions are now AAB, as my English teacher won't predict me higher. If I now dropped English and took biology my predictions would be AAA. Is it preferable to do English or biology?
Reply 1129
Hey,

I have completed my maths a level last year and got an A* . Consequently I was predicted an A* in further maths a2.

My choices for this year are further maths as and a2, a2 economics and a2 chemistry.I am applying for BSc Economics

My question is that if I was to get an offer from warwick , will I be able to drop further maths a2 down to AS (with notifying you) and change the offer? I'm just wondering how likely it would be that you would change the offer.

I'm thinking of dropping further maths a2 down to AS in January as I am really struggling with M2 but I am finding FP1 and S2 really good. I have yet to start D1. Obviously Cambridge want 3 A2s in one sittibg so I won't drop it if I get an offer from them obviously....

Thanks in advance
Original post by ozzie2
Hey I am wondering if it is worth applying if my target grades for A2 were AAA or would I be rejected due to the requirements being A*AA and the competitiveness of the course?

A lot of students who apply for the Economics courses will be predicted to make our offer, but we look at predicted grades as part of a well-rounded application. You are welcome to apply, but no guarantee that you will be made an offer.
Original post by JohnG98
Hi,

I just got my AS results and I am disappointed with what I got because I think it won't be could enough for Warwick to even consider for the Economics course. I got an A in Economics, an A in Biology but a C in Maths and a C in Chemistry (which I will be dropping). My predicted grades are as follows: A* Biology, A* Economics and an A in Maths. I don't feel comfortable applying since I believe the AS results are weak.

Would there be a point in applying?

Thanks in advance.

We will look at all aspects of your application, including predicted grades, obtained grades and personal statement. These are all important aspects of a well-rounded application. No offer is ever guaranteed due to the competitiveness of the course, but you are welcome to apply with your predicted grades.
Original post by AvKar
Hey, if I did an economics undergrad degree with French as one of the modules then a) is there any option to go abroad for some time as part of the course and b) would the French be a big part of the degree or just a tiny bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi AvKar. Our course involves the opportunity to take foreign languages as optional subjects in any of the three years. If you were to take up French, this would be just one of your optional modules and the majority of your degree would still be in Economics.

The Economics Department is an active member of the EU’s ERASMUS programme which offers opportunities for students in EU countries to study abroad at other universities in EU countries.

If you are successful in gaining a placement with an Erasmus partner, your degree programme becomes a four year programme, and the title of your course changes to add the suffix “with Study Abroad” to the existing title (e.g. BSc Economics with Study Abroad).
Original post by Don Joiner
Hi, I'm just wondering whether Warwick views Geography A level as an essay-based subject?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Don Joiner. Yes, we see Geography as an essay-based subject.
Original post by sharjeel743
Hi, i am looking to apply for EPIS at Warwick and received 3 A's and a C in chemistry. I knew i was dropping chemistry anyway before the exam. I got an A* prediction in Economics and A predictions in Maths and Spanish ( despite being close to the 90% boundary in both). I am also doing AS italian and AS Further Maths this year. As for GCSE's i got 9A*'s and 3A's.I was wondering how my chances are for applying and what an offer would consist of?Thanks.

All offers for EPAIS are A*AA. As well as academic achievements, we also look at other factors such as the Personal Statement and School Reference, as these are important elements in a well-rounded application. No offer is ever guaranteed, but if you meet our entry requirements, you are of course welcome to make an application.
Original post by stephaniechan
Hello,

My as results are AAAB, and my subject are maths, chemistry, biology and English language. I decided to drop biology even though I got an A in that and took on English language because I thought it would be better for my course. However my predictions are now AAB, as my English teacher won't predict me higher. If I now dropped English and took biology my predictions would be AAA. Is it preferable to do English or biology?

Strong analytical subjects and strong essay-based subjects are very good (like the sciences, languages, history, English, etc.) We do not have a preference between English or Biology, but you should choose whichever subject you enjoy and in which you think you will do well.
Original post by PS4
Hey,

I have completed my maths a level last year and got an A* . Consequently I was predicted an A* in further maths a2.

My choices for this year are further maths as and a2, a2 economics and a2 chemistry.I am applying for BSc Economics

My question is that if I was to get an offer from warwick , will I be able to drop further maths a2 down to AS (with notifying you) and change the offer? I'm just wondering how likely it would be that you would change the offer.

I'm thinking of dropping further maths a2 down to AS in January as I am really struggling with M2 but I am finding FP1 and S2 really good. I have yet to start D1. Obviously Cambridge want 3 A2s in one sittibg so I won't drop it if I get an offer from them obviously....

Thanks in advance

Hi PS4. For your query, I would suggest that you contact the Undergraduate Admissions Team at Warwick directly as they will be able to give you more information on this. Please email them at: [email protected]
GCSE: 10A*s

AS: AAA in Maths,Geography and French (Economics is linear course so no AS)
Maths UMS 93

A2 predicted A*A*A + a in AS further maths

*note I'm only doing Further Maths to AS as picking up in year 13

Do you think I would stand a good chance for Warwick Economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does Warwick ask for any UMS modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I have done six Maths modules in Year 12, allowing me to achieve a full A level in Maths (although the A2 modules will not be cashed in until Year 13).
I have two questions regarding this:

1) I achieved a grade A, would this be good enough for BSc Economics?
2) If I choose to resit two modules (C3 and C4) to try and get an A*, would it place my application at a serious disadvantage?

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest