The Student Room Group

volunteering in a care home? relevant to law?

I have volunteered in a care home for 5 months on a weekly basis

From the care home i realised the true value of the elderly.

But what other skills from volunteering in a care home are relevant to law?

being part of the icthyosis support group - charity for genetic diseases and taking part in a conference really again helped me realise how lucky I really am.

please help? will having a first aid certificate be good at practicing law - studying law at uni and contributing to uni life.

one week in working in a research lab for child institte of health working on a project on muscle dysteroctomy - relevent?

please help
I don't see much relevance to the study of law at all if I'm honest.

Things like debating or writing for a journal or review would help.

I'm not sure how working in a care home provides any academic advantage - it seems to show you're altruistic, but not a lot more.
Also, what do you mean by "the true value of the elderly"? I'm a little confused by that statement.
Reply 3
Original post by raman1
I have volunteered in a care home for 5 months on a weekly basis

From the care home i realised the true value of the elderly.

But what other skills from volunteering in a care home are relevant to law?

being part of the icthyosis support group - charity for genetic diseases and taking part in a conference really again helped me realise how lucky I really am.

please help? will having a first aid certificate be good at practicing law - studying law at uni and contributing to uni life.

one week in working in a research lab for child institte of health working on a project on muscle dysteroctomy - relevent?

please help

Have you considered volunteering for citizens advice bureau which is more relevant?
http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/join-us/volunteer_bureau_search.htm
(edited 12 years ago)
Its absolutely relevant. Of course its not "legal", but recruiters like to see that you are a busy person contributing to uni life. It shows you aren't lazy, indicates you might be someone the partners would like to work with and demonstrates generic transferable skills such as empathy, dedication and social skills.

Extra-curriculars like that aren't a deal-maker and you won't get anywhere if you don't have good enough academics, but in general law firms do expect people to have a range of extra-curriculars on their CV. I think volunteering in a care home is quite a good one.
Reply 5
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Also, what do you mean by "the true value of the elderly"? I'm a little confused by that statement.

like you have more respect for the elderly
Original post by jacketpotato
Its absolutely relevant. Of course its not "legal", but recruiters like to see that you are a busy person contributing to uni life. It shows you aren't lazy, indicates you might be someone the partners would like to work with and demonstrates generic transferable skills such as empathy, dedication and social skills.

Extra-curriculars like that aren't a deal-maker and you won't get anywhere if you don't have good enough academics, but in general law firms do expect people to have a range of extra-curriculars on their CV. I think volunteering in a care home is quite a good one.

I think this is with reference to a UCAS application to read law, isn't it?
Original post by raman1

How does that mean you're more able to study law? :confused:
Volunteering in a care home has no relevance to a Law degree.

It does has relevance to showing that your a well rounded individual and altruistic, as 'Aspiringlawstudent' said, however.
Reply 9
Original post by Maicccccmannnn
Volunteering in a care home has no relevance to a Law degree.

It does has relevance to showing that your a well rounded individual and altruistic, as 'Aspiringlawstudent' said, however.

so how should i incoprporate that into my personal statement because i thought law was a peoples degree talking to people n understanding what their sitution requires you to work with ifferent kinds of people and learn to adapt yourself differently with different people. please ofer me advice?
Original post by raman1
so how should i incoprporate that into my personal statement because i thought law was a peoples degree talking to people n understanding what their sitution requires you to work with ifferent kinds of people and learn to adapt yourself differently with different people. please ofer me advice?

LOL this is stretching the meaning of law to unjustifiable lengths.

Just include it in your interests and extra curricula activities action.
Reply 11
Original post by raman1

why should the elderly receive any more respect than any other group?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending