The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F214 Communication, Homeostasis and Energy Wed 25 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by undertaker1
any idea how we can treat type 2 diabetes if an essay question comes on it

i know how we can control it by saying eating a balanced diet or perhaps eat a diet higher in proteins but i cant explain why it would reduce the effect of diabetes

metformin tablets type 2 diabetics take them daily
Original post by inspiration109
:facepalm: my carelessness is going to cost me marks, i meant less sugars more polysaccharides. my book says that it takes time to be digested and absorbed so spreads the time over which sugars are absorbed into blood preventing sharp spike in blood glucose conc. thanks for noticing the mistake otherwise i would have written that in the exam and lost marks

oh right never knew that, makes sense
Reply 782
Folks, could someone please explain why the Cofactor FAD is used/required given we already have NAD ? thanks! don't forget to quote me
Original post by wizzar
Folks, could someone please explain why the Cofactor FAD is used/required given we already have NAD ? thanks! don't forget to quote me

I believe the hydrogens from re-oxidised FAD are used to form water after oxygen has accepted electrons. They aren't involved in chemiosmosis.
Reply 784
hey guys does anyone know what the grade boundaries are for june 2010 for A*. OCR only have grade boundaries for A and I tried to work it out and I got about 48 for A* for that paper but that doesn't seem right

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/admin/ocr_47951_admin_mk_grd_bound_jun_10.pdf
Reply 785
hey, can someone pleeeease explain how a chloroplast is adapted for it's function? can't find any notes on it :frown: thank you
in case labelling pancreas comes up, and they tell you to label alpha and beta (unlikely), the darker stained cells will be beta
Original post by katie.lou
hey, can someone pleeeease explain how a chloroplast is adapted for it's function? can't find any notes on it :frown: thank you

page 60 in the OCR textbook, if you dont have it then let me know
Reply 788

1. outer membrane : permeable to small ions
2. inner membrane: transport proteins which control exit and entry of molecules
3.stroma ( light independant) : contains necessary enzymes ( rubisco)
4. thylakoid/grana ( light dependant ) : large surface area for photosynthetic pigments, electron carriers, ATP synthase.
grana is surround by storma ( readily pass over products)
5. proteins hold the photosystem in place, DNA to code for protiens ( enzymes) and ribosomes to synthesis them.
Reply 789
Original post by thestudentroo
page 60 in the OCR textbook, if you dont have it then let me know

page 60 of the textbook I have talks about kidney failure :frown:
Reply 790
Original post by Lalaa
1. outer membrane : permeable to small ions
2. inner membrane: transport proteins which control exit and entry of molecules
3.stroma ( light independant) : contains necessary enzymes ( rubisco)
4. thylakoid/grana ( light dependant ) : large surface area for photosynthetic pigments, electron carriers, ATP synthase.
grana is surround by storma ( readily pass over products)
5. proteins hold the photosystem in place, DNA to code for protiens ( enzymes) and ribosomes to synthesis them.

Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 791
Thank you so much :smile:

No problem.. it was good practice for me too :smile:
Reply 792
What does it mean by shunt mechanism?? :/ which process in respiration is that??
hi can some one help me revise would be greatfull for a revision buddy as exam is tommorow?
cheers :smile:
Original post by t_star
What does it mean by shunt mechanism?? :/ which process in respiration is that??

to get the reduced NAD formed in glycolysis from the cytoplasm into the mitochondrial matrix. as you may already know the inner membrane is impermeable to Hydrogen atoms so it can't pass through so a shunt mechanism is needed.

i think that is right
page 60 of the textbook I have talks about kidney failure :frown:

The OCR biology A2 with a picture of a brain (I think) on the front, 1.3.2
Reply 796
whats that thing called to cut a potato or discs out of a leaf, to ensure it has same volume/surface area, that we used during osmosis experiments like in year 11.?

EDIT: i know the answer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Would the definition of cell signalling be: "one cell releases chemicals-or an electrical impulse- that are detected by another cell which will facilitate a response
Original post by The Illuminati
Would the definition of cell signalling be: "one cell releases chemicals-or an electrical impulse- that are detected by another cell which will facilitate a response

chemicals-cytokines
Reply 799
Original post by undertaker1
to get the reduced NAD formed in glycolysis from the cytoplasm into the mitochondrial matrix. as you may already know the inner membrane is impermeable to Hydrogen atoms so it can't pass through so a shunt mechanism is needed.

i think that is right

thankss :smile: panicked abit thinking i have no idea what this is!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending