The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F214 Communication, Homeostasis and Energy Wed 25 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Goodbye place at Oxford to study biological sciences :moon:

Did anyone else find a little off putting how the exam started with a 6 mark question? At least the final question was nice
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1581
Original post by Maple
That's exactly what I got! Good thing I read about cyclic and non-cyclic photophosphorylation while I was on the bus. :smile:

Original post by Claudine
chemical

I got both of these as well!

The picture of the kidney was so hard to make out, I was tempted to answer with "what the hell kind of diagram is this I can't see anything" ffs oh well
Reply 1583
Original post by Lalaa
you mean 0.014 cuz it was to 3dp

But werent the rest of the answers in the table to 4dp? I thought you were supposed to do whatever they did in the table?
Reply 1584
could someone please explain how the grade boundaries for an A can be less than 80%? people are saying on some papers 60% is an A???
Original post by Chaofan88
Goodbye place at Oxford to study biological sciences :moon:

Did you find it hard then? :woo:
Original post by wizzar
could someone please explain how the grade boundaries for an A can be less than 80%? people are saying on some papers 60% is an A???

80% UMS is an A but that is different to the raw percentage - usually raw percentage is lower than your scaled UMS mark
Reply 1587
Original post by The Illuminati
Can't believe I'm gonna fail an exam because of pea seeds and glass beads. :mad: this in NOT on OCR, not on.

I feel so disappointed, I guess I've lost around 6-10 marks on that question. I thought the rest of the exam was okay, all my hard work seemed to be paying off... then I just couldn't think of any answers to that question at all. Biology is my only science and we don't do many experiments, so all this stuff about volume etc just didn't occur to me. Bah. :frown:
For E and F
I got bowmans capsule ... and i was out of ideas so i just put lumen of the nephron ...
But it was distil convulated tube... not proximal ... because the dct and the glomerulus will line up along the cross section

But.. but technically ... the distil convulated tube and lumen of nephron is basically the same thi... ah forget it :frown:
Original post by wizzar

^This.
in the AS paper i got 52/60 which was scaled up to 90/90 UMS... its kinda random tbh
Reply 1591
Why wasn't volatile correct, because it makes complete sense
Original post by Claudine
in the AS paper i got 52/60 which was scaled up to 90/90 UMS... its kinda random tbh

There is still hope- huzzah!
Reply 1593
Bowmans capsule and nephron on kidney photo? Because it was a cross section
Original post by Alexok
Why wasn't volatile correct, because it makes complete sense

Because only the nose detects volatile chemicals, but the mouth detects soluble chemicals. Volatile only describes the type of chemical, whereas chemical describes the stimulus.
Ahh I have to say thank you to the ppl that uploaded the picture of respirometer + mentioned it! Life saver :biggrin:. For the beads thing , I rambled about the soaked one having a greater mass than the dry one and needing some beads in the dry one to even the mass out to make it a fair comparison because yu gtta have the same number of glass beads in the other tube for both soaked and dry.... O.o O.o
Reply 1596
Soacked peas faster rate because glycolysis is hydrolysis reaction that requires H20 as well? Don't think many people got this one. Is this incorrect? is that why i'm getting neg reps
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1597
Because only the nose detects volatile chemicals, but the mouth detects soluble chemicals. Volatile only describes the type of chemical, whereas chemical describes the stimulus.

ahh yeah
Original post by The Illuminati
Can't believe I'm gonna fail an exam because of pea seeds and glass beads. :mad: this in NOT on OCR, not on.

Illuminati you could never fail! You seem to have so much subject knowledge, the glass beads were only four marks. :wink:

I wrote volatile chemicals "/, would that be wrong then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending