The Student Room Group

Rape:'Why didn't you take a taxi?'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimbo1234
<Snip>

Eamonn Holmes is an idiot... however I see the appeal of walking rather than getting a taxi, the costs being one.

I walk back from clubs all the time although I am male so have less chance of being raped compared to a beautiful woman... we need more police just to look after hot women :colone:
Reply 281
Original post by tehFrance
Eamonn Holmes is an idiot... however I see the appeal of walking rather than getting a taxi, the costs being one.

I walk back from clubs all the time although I am male so have less chance of being raped compared to a beautiful woman... we need more police just to look after hot women :colone:

:facepalm:

Yes, he is so stupid for telling people how to avoid being raped.........right.
:facepalm:

Yes, he is so stupid for telling people how to avoid being raped.........right.

He put the blame on her, in general it is not the woman but the man at fault....
Reply 283
He put the blame on her, in general it is not the woman but the man at fault....

Oh my god, what is it with peoples nowadays thinking that blame can only be on one person?! :angry:
Guess what? That is not how life works. Yes, the man was horrible and deserves to fry, but also she could have avoided all this if she had followed age old advice but didn't due to nativity or denial. People for some reason have forgotten what consequences are.
I read this thread in quiet despair at the state of humanity...
Reply 285
Original post by Historophilia
I read this thread in quiet despair at the state of humanity...

Which bit? That people rape or that people ignore advice due to denial?
Which bit? That people rape or that people ignore advice due to denial?

I'm not going to get into an argument with you, I've seen your posts and the threads you make....
those who rape, both man and woman, should at least have some decency/respect and common sense NOT to rape

it is here that the problem arises, not the fact that a woman (or even a man)
decided not to take a taxi...
Oh my god, what is it with peoples nowadays thinking that blame can only be on one person?! :angry:

So man sees hot woman, he wants her, woman says no, he proceeds to rape her, she tries to fight back... how is this in anyway the females fault?

(Women wearing skinny jeans are an exception, you cannot get those things off so that can lead to both parties being at fault and in some cases it not even being rape as if she took them off she could of consented).
The reason she got raped wasn't because she walked home, it's because there are rapists- at the end of the day, you aren't always safe in a taxi. Okay, realistically I would think it is safer to take a taxi, but there are always risks, and there are unsavoury characters in this world you'll bump into walking home or not.
Reply 290
So man sees hot woman, he wants her, woman says no, he proceeds to rape her, she tries to fight back... how is this in anyway the females fault?

(Women wearing skinny jeans are an exception, you cannot get those things off so that can lead to both parties being at fault and in some cases it not even being rape as if she took them off she could of consented).

Is that what happened? Is that what we are talking about? No. So why even bring it up ? :confused:

Original post by Lilmissshortee
The reason she got raped wasn't because she walked home, it's because there are rapists- at the end of the day, you aren't always safe in a taxi. Okay, realistically I would think it is safer to take a taxi, but there are always risks, and there are unsavoury characters in this world you'll bump into walking home or not.

Wrong.
She got raped because she met a rapist whilst walking home.
If she had got a taxi back, she would have been safe.
That is all that is being debated here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Is that what happened? Is that what we are talking about? No. So why even bring it up ? :confused:

We are talking about rape and how you don't seem to think it is one parties fault but both parties, I showed you that it can be only one parties fault (generally the males) with the exception of women in skinny jeans.

Wrong.
She got raped because she met a rapist whilst walking home.
If she had got a taxi back, she would have been safe.
That is all that is being debated here.

Not always, what if the taxi driver had been a rapist? Taking a taxi doesn't automatically make you safe. Even if they are licensed.
Personally, I'd never get in a taxi on my own. Not that I'm saying I'd rather walk home alone and be raped, as most likely at least one friend would be with me - usually in a taxi.
It has previously been mentioned though that rape is not just something that happens late at night to girls by strange people, it can happen to anyone, anywhere. Making people aware of this and their own personal safety would be more beneficial than just telling them to 'take a taxi.'
Reply 294
We are talking about rape and how you don't seem to think it is one parties fault but both parties, I showed you that it can be only one parties fault (generally the males) with the exception of women in skinny jeans.

No.
We are talking about people berating a man for telling people how to avoid rape.
But for the record, sometimes both parties are at fault. If the woman could take realistic precautions and chooses not to, then she best become comfortable with consequences.

Not always, what if the taxi driver had been a rapist? Taking a taxi doesn't automatically make you safe. Even if they are licensed.

And the sun could have blown up or a plane crashed on her.
You have to weigh up what is more likely to happen and to do your best to avoid it.
Reply 295
Make that 100!
Taxi drivers can rape you too.

Girls should heed my warning, if you are out clubbing, cop off with the first guy that tries it on with you. It is your safest bet.
No. We are talking about people berating a man for telling people how to avoid rape.

No you have just changed what we were arguing over and I refuse to argue with you from this point on.
And the sun could have blown up or a plane crashed on her.
You have to weigh up what is more likely to happen and to do your best to avoid it.

Ha ha.

I know it's probably unsafe to walk home and I always make sure I get a taxi back to uni, but i'm just saying that's all.

I don't think Holme's comment was wrong, a little insensitive...but the underlying issue is society, morality, etc. It's part of the bigger picture. It's not a simple case of a girl making sure she gets a taxi so she doesn't end up getting raped.

What a sad world we live in, that's all i'm trying to say.

(I know boys get raped too...which is just as bad.)
Reply 299
No you have just changed what we were arguing over and I refuse to argue with you from this point on.

Haha! I'm the OP :facepalm: I think I know why I made this thread. You just got shown to be wrong and now are going into denial.

Ha ha.

I know it's probably unsafe to walk home and I always make sure I get a taxi back to uni, but i'm just saying that's all.

I don't think Holme's comment was wrong, a little insensitive...but the underlying issue is society, morality, etc. It's part of the bigger picture. It's not a simple case of a girl making sure she gets a taxi so she doesn't end up getting raped.

What a sad world we live in, that's all i'm trying to say.

(I know boys get raped too...which is just as bad.)

Aye, very true.
I am just surprised how so many people think that they shouldn't get a taxi back for moral reasons :s-smilie: It is odd how some people put ideas ahead of reality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending