The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Bloody polar co-ordinates question was horrific! Didn't get a single part (well maybe the 1 marker at the beginning!).

Answered everything else though so we shall see... Didn't like the graph sketching one but then I never did like graph sketching...
Reply 41
np_desi
can some1 remember the marks for all the q's?

1. 6 marks
2. 6 marks
4. 14 marks
7. 15 marks

that is wat i think.. can some1 plz post them!..thx!

Look at the stuff in bold...
I'm certain because those are the only two questions I got right. So I am guaranteed 12 out of 75....
Reply 42
They let me take the paper home with me-
1. (6)
2. (6)
3. (10)
4. (13)
5. (11)
6. (14)
7. (15)
Reply 43
Buscemi.
They let me take the paper home with me-
1. (6)
2. (6)
3. (10)
4. (13)
5. (11)
6. (14)
7. (15)

thx... now i can count my woes :frown:

seems 52/75, 69%... :redface:
Reply 44
the numerical solutions one was SNEAKY with that -20 but I noticed and was dead chuffed about it too.

I stand by the fact that that was the hardest paper. didnt have time to check through either and I cudnt integrate sumthing on the differentiation so it took forever.
Reply 45
could you go through each exercise and it's points.
i.e Q6 a was worth 3 or whatever...
Reply 46
I found the paper much harder than the (1.5) past papers I got my hands on :redface:
I agree with λ=6 and A=B=1

I lost loads of time on the graph sketch question- I didn't fancy paying £40 for a graphing calc.- questions like this are just 4 marks on a plate if you have one and 4 bloomin' hard markls if you don't! Perhaps I got 3 cos I got the wrong multiples of pi.

I thought 6. was the hardest question
I ran out of time to finish 5. :>.<:
how was it 112 minutes?? I got 1.86 and then 1.866 but then i wasn't sure about the next part.

did anyone get that graph crossing 3pi/8 and 7pi/8??
Reply 48
Dharini1987
how was it 112 minutes?? I got 1.86 and then 1.866 but then i wasn't sure about the next part.

did anyone get that graph crossing 3pi/8 and 7pi/8??

i got 3&#960;/8 , but dont go with my answer, since i sed A=1 and B= 0... so thats that...

also a= time (hours) = 1.866

therefore i thought jus do (1.866*60) = 111.96 = 112
This paper was really hard!

Made loads of mistakes! Didnt know how to draw that graph....and the last question, where they asked you to find the point p. How did you do that?

..Gonna retake in June...!
Reply 50
out of 75 eh,

i reckon i got 35 :frown:
oh well, at least i did well in M3.
Reply 51
Here are the first 4 questions:
Reply 53
Reply 54
I thought it was a fairly tricky exam- especially the bloody polar coords one! I ran out of time because I spent ages on the differential equation questions- the first order one I worked through it all, but then came to the graph drawing part and didn't get multiples of pi for the t values, so I went back and did the whole second part again (and I got A=B=1 btw). The second order one- I spent ages trying to get the substitution to work, but finally realised I had to take out a factor of (x/x) from the fraction to get it. Then when trying to solve it I kept trying to find an integrating factor, but sorted the Q out in the end. And on the polar coords one I tryed the second part, but ending up with t=pi/4, not pi/6 so I crossed out all of my working- which Im annoyed at since its throwing away a fair few marks (overall I've probably got about three pages of working in the answer book all crossed out)

Im feeling better about it after reading this though, since everyone seems to be getting the same answers I got ( lamda=6, |z|^2=20, alpha=1.866, 112mins etc). Overall it wasnt as bad as I thought, but I'm annoyed at wasting so much time.
Reply 55
Crappy server (and scanner!)
Reply 56
wat did ppl get for the 1 marker in polar co-ordinates?

7.a.i http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=25498
Reply 57
I just sub'd cos2&#952; for 1-2sin²&#952; and then multiplied through by sin²&#952; to give
r²sin²&#952;=a²sin²&#952;(1-2sin²&#952; )
so did anyone else put 3pi/8 and 7pi/8, or am i just alone on that??
Reply 59
I thought the whole paper was straight forward except for the last question which I completely died in. I couldn't get the coordinates they wanted and I got completely the wrong area. I could have worked one of them out maybe with 10 mins more time.

I can't remember my values for A and B. But 1 doesn't sound unfamiliar. My sketch went through pi/8 and 5pi/8 which isn't what other people got so I guess that I made an error with some of A and B. Apart from that I think I got all the marks. I can't remember most of my answers. But I definately got the working for the other questions. So I have maybe lost 17. What would that be? Possible scraped an A?

Latest