The Student Room Group

Medicine Rejections Discussion Thread 2012 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by Wave
Serious? They deluded. Tbh I agree all the biomed students I know never mention medicine but then again you wouldn't be going around saying "hey i'm only on this course because I was rejected from medicine"

How are they deluded? Students at my university are pretty open about their academic past so I don't see why they wouldn't. A lot of students on my course applied to all life science related subjects. Also, what's wrong with being a medicine reject? Why is there a bad stigma attached to it? Getting into medicine is ultimately a lottery. There are many capable, deserving 'rejects', does it mean they're inferior? What a bleak and elitist world we live in. If anything I have total respect for 'rejects' who progress to biological sciences and then medicine. It shows their perseverance.

Medicine is in no way more superior than life-science. Doctors would be ****'ed without scientists. Medicine just has tradition wrapped around it with a bow.
Original post by Doctor.
What if you know Medicine is the career you want to be in...

i've always wanted to be a doctor, and tbh nothing will compensate :/. lol I am just going to end up being a begger :cry2:

The thing is, you can big up medicine to be something that it really isn't. Because of all the mystique surrounding the application process, the hoop jumping, the academics medicine suddenly goes from being a rather interesting career choice into something that is like the Holy Grail. (Believe me, I was guilty of it too-you get fixated onto getting into medical school)

What I can pretty much guarantee is that until you are in medical school and probably not even until you are a doctor is that you actually do not have a clue about what being a doctor is about. Seeing doctors at your GP, on work experience etc doesn't fit the boat really. You have to experience it first hand.

So therefore, when I hear people say things like 'nothing will compensate', I wonder what exactly are they comparing it to? What are they aspiring to? Because until you are actually towards the latter stages of your training or starting work, you actually have no idea what it is all about. You are just chasing a dream or a concept up until that stage.

As I said recently, with a little bit of experience (but still no idea about what actually being a doctor is like-ask me in 5 months) medicine is a good career but it is not the only career. There are plenty, plenty of very interesting, fruitful careers that people go on and do. I'm a medic and I can think of at least five different careers that I would be pretty happy doing and I still, to this day, have doubts as to whether I should have been a pilot instead.
Original post by T-Toe
I have total respect for 'rejects' who progress to biological sciences and then medicine.

What about those who fail grad entry?
Reply 363
Original post by Ilyas

Depending on how committed they are they apply again.
Reply 364
Original post by Ilyas

Apply again? Medicine will always be there.
Reply 365
I got a PM from 'Wave' saying he's a troll.

Ex-posed.
Original post by T-Toe
Apply again? Medicine will always be there.

ok.

Original post by T-Toe
I got a PM from 'Wave' saying he's a troll.

Ex-posed.

Welcome to the internet, no one cares because Wave will never be seen irl, hence you exposing Wave doesn't do anything.
Reply 367
Original post by Ilyas
ok.

Welcome to the internet, no one cares because Wave will never be seen irl, hence you exposing Wave doesn't do anything.

Maybe not, however whatever he has to say on TSR is invalid.
Original post by Doctor.
Reeesit- Extenuating circumstances

Ahhhhh. Good luck! :smile:
You should start seeing which McDonald's are advertising now in advance..........
Reply 370
Original post by haleem
I had 1A* 3A's 2B's 6C's

Where did you get interviews?
Hello :smile:

So I applied for Medicine this year and have got 3 rejections so far (only Leeds left but not holding out much hope!).

Anyway, as my application has been mostly unsuccessful it has made me really start to reconsider what I'm going to do. I have an offer for Biochemistry as a back up choice but I'm not 100% sure on what I want to do so I am thinking a gap year.

For most of the time I have been assuming that should I not get in I would reapply the following year for Medicine. Over the past few days I have been really considering if Medicine is the right career path for me. Now I have had more experiences with exams, the application process and the thought that I would start the degree in a year (if I got in), I am starting to think the long course and the pretty fixed career path isn't for me.

Has anyone else applied, got rejected and felt the same way?

I know I have quite a while to decide what I would apply for next year, but at the moment I'm feeling pretty confused about what I want to do! Any advice?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1928863

This thread is similar to your question so hopefully it'll help you.
Good luck!
It's your choice, if you want to study Medicine enough, then isn't it worth a second attempt? Trust me I know how daunting it is to get so many rejections, I applied last year and didn't get in, this is my second application, I currently have two rejections and I'm still waiting to hear form my final choice. It's a tough course to get into. You have to think about about how happy you'd be doing something else and weather you would want to apply to medicine via graduate entry. Though I hear it's harder to get in via the graduate route, plus you then have funding to worry about as student loans only cover your first degree.

Best of luck, I hope all turns out well :smile:
Hey there, I'm one of this year's reapplicants and it turned out great for this year so don't rush into any decisions! I was in the same position as you this time last year (well worse because you still have Leeds) so I totally get what you're going through. I got 4 rejections but luckily a biomedical science offer and Queen Mary. I firmed the offer because I didn't know how my A-levels were going to turn out and because it was the only one I had! My A-levels turned out quite well so I withdrew from QM and I thought heck, it's probably worth another go and what a good choice that was. If my A-levels had turned out badly then I probably would have ran with that biomed offer. I'd advise you to do what I did if all goes south with Leeds.

BUT... That's only assuming you're still up for doing medicine. I went through that whole uncertain phase as well. "Am I good enough?" "Is this really what I want?" kinda thoughts were buzzing in my head. It sucks to get rejected and getting rejected makes you think like that. However, that's something you're going to have to answer yourself. I personally just gritted my teeth and leapt back onto the bucking bronco because I couldn't see myself doing anything else...
Original post by SirMuffin
Hey there, I'm one of this year's reapplicants and it turned out great for this year so don't rush into any decisions! I was in the same position as you this time last year (well worse because you still have Leeds) so I totally get what you're going through. I got 4 rejections but luckily a biomedical science offer and Queen Mary. I firmed the offer because I didn't know how my A-levels were going to turn out and because it was the only one I had! My A-levels turned out quite well so I withdrew from QM and I thought heck, it's probably worth another go and what a good choice that was. If my A-levels had turned out badly then I probably would have ran with that biomed offer. I'd advise you to do what I did if all goes south with Leeds.

BUT... That's only assuming you're still up for doing medicine. I went through that whole uncertain phase as well. "Am I good enough?" "Is this really what I want?" kinda thoughts were buzzing in my head. It sucks to get rejected and getting rejected makes you think like that. However, that's something you're going to have to answer yourself. I personally just gritted my teeth and leapt back onto the bucking bronco because I couldn't see myself doing anything else...

Thanks! Yeah, at the moment I think I'm going through the "is this really what i want" phase, but I'm hoping It will become clearer once the rush of hearing back from unis is all over. Glad to know other people have these thoughts too!
I'm a reject. Got an interview at Cambridge and was turned down without one at my other three choices AND my backup.
Offerlessness is not a nice thing...
Reply 377
Original post by m3scrumpy
Where did you get interviews?

Barts, Manchester, Peninsula and Glasgow...
Hey,

So I've been forced onto a gap year with 4 pre-interview rejections for medicine mainly to do with my personal statement :grumble:
I had a poor UKCAT and okish BMAT but not good enough
Since my UKCAT was poor, I was forced to rule out many medical schools :sigh:

Applied to:
Imperial
BSMS
Keele
Liverpool

-I don't want to do any other course apart from medicine, my heart is set on medicine
-I added an extra choice on UCAS track last week to do biomed at UEA but I'm having second thoughts, I don't want to do biomed as an alternative. GEP? :eek2:
-medicine abroad? Well, I really want to do medicine in the UK but parents are saying I have the option to do it with Nigeria
-not sure if GMC would accept it by the time I graudate etc..
-If I don't get AAA in A level, medicine won't happen :sad: for undergraduate entry therefore, I'm a bit stressed/worried but I'm working hard atm

Any advice? :smile:
Also, teacher and other friends keep pressuring me to do biomed at UEA. UEA said I should write a revised PS by next tuesday to be considered.
Original post by Hippokrates
She didn't get offers because she was studying a degree.

She applied before the degree as well, and why would doing the degree prevent her from getting in? She would have dropped out to do medicine, that's a given...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending