The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

How Is the Education in Cass Business School?

Scroll to see replies

how does accounting and finance at warwick compare to accounting and finance at cass?
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Hi guys! I have received an offer MSc MTF at Cass Business school but I have read many contrasting comments on this school. Can anyone give me new info about this school? Do you still think it is a good B-school ? Is it better then FRM at UCL ?
help?

It's funny how few people seem to actually get what a business school is .
LSE is not a business school, if you're refering to its general ranking then it would probably top the list alongside Oxbridge etc..
Seeing UCL classified as a top business school is akin to a joke, their business school isn't even close to toping the ranks, It is tier 3 at best. However, I will admit that they are making progress.
In the UK, the best business schools, based upon the MBA ranking as a proxy for overall quality of education, working opportunities, prestige:

1st : ex- æquo: Cambridge Judge Business School - LBS - Oxford University
2nd : Warwick- Cass Business School- Imperial business school
3rd : Manchester- Bristol- Durham- Nottingham

When choosing a dregree, you must establish whether its value will increase with time or not.
Since Brexit, the only location which remains unconditionally a target for business schools is London. Warwick understood this a few years ago when they decided to set up a campus in the shard tower. Unfortunately, it only hosts executive programs, which in terms of overall value for money are worthless. Cass, Imperial and UCL certainly have the advantage of being situated in London. Cass in particular is positioned in the historical heart of Finance, the city of London. UCL is building campuses in Canary Wharf which isn't such a bad move.
Judging from the rankings, Cass is certainly a business school to take into consideration when judging the potential for future progression, for 2 reasons:
The current dean of the School Marianne Lewis is doing a tremendous job, leveraging her contacts through her father- the ex vice dean of Harvard Business School. Secondly, Research at Cass Business School has become internationally recognized as shown by the success of the Cass M&A research center managed by an ex-senior exec from Jp morgan and ex- professor at Oxford.
Imperial certainly is improving its rankings as it leverages its incredibly reputed math course. This constitutes a great advantage when it comes to the quant side of business school courses- financial mathematics.

To sum up, if you are interested in a degree outside of business, then consider a degree in economics from LSE or Oxbridge. These will get you into investment banking very easily.
If you're interested in Business School ( grad level) , Cass has the most potential to becoming very prestigious in the coming years, Imperial BS certainly follows in Cass's footsteps. Warwick is relatively safe, even though it will probably lose a part of its appeal because of its non proximity to the financial cente.
If your grades aren't too good, try to go abroad and go for a BBA at Essec Business School or EDHEDC in France; or one of the top spanish Bus schools. All of which are comparable to the list mentioned above and will get you farther than tier 3 British business Schools.

I agree also that the top business schools in the UK are LBS, Imperial, Said Business School, Warwick Business School. Judge Business School and Cass.

Also don’t forget that City university is now part of the university of London.
Reply 165
Hey there, really want to know if CASS undergraduate are well supported academically. Need your advice. Thank you
Original post by wyng
Hey there, really want to know if CASS undergraduate are well supported academically. Need your advice. Thank you

definitely since Cass business school is one of the top business school at the heart of London. University in general no matter the course requires independent study and research, academic support is offered according to each students ability and willingness to learn.

Good luck
Reply 167
Original post by doublletrouble
definitely since cass business school is one of the top business school at the heart of london. University in general no matter the course requires independent study and research, academic support is offered according to each students ability and willingness to learn.

Good luck

thank you!
I am bumping a dead thread I know. I would strongly advise people not to do UG at Cass and make the same mistake I did. I really, really wish I had gone to Manchester (BAEcon) or Nottingham (FAM). Offers I rejected that I am not sad about would be Lancaster and Exeter.

The student experience at Cass is so ****ing miserable. It's completely dead and there is no sense of community at all. It's so hollow. The quality of teaching, in general, I would say is good to very good quality; not many complaints on that front. Except one issue was the lecturer for Management Accounting in 2nd year (Carlos Ribeiro) set an exam completely removed from the content of the lecturers, slides and textbook. It was a big ordeal and ended up with everyone having the option to resit the exam. Never heard anything like it before or since. LOL.

The employment stats are somewhat misleading for all universities. It should separated for people staying in the UK only. It's gotta be much, much easier to get a job in Malaysia, India or China with a decent UK degree. I think this greatly skews the stats. Also, many of them are foreign rich kids with connections. Their ability to get a good opportunity will probably be so much easier than the average UK domestic student without any family connections.

The rankings slide. In recent years, courses like A+F having taken a big hit in the rankings. Complete slides, down to the 30s and 50s. Something is going badly wrong clearly.

Beware of people coming to talks and bigging the place up. It's always the absolute best student there to paint a rosy picture. Instead, it would make more sense for an average student to be the one sharing their experiences. Don't fall for their marketing ********.

I at not posting to completely trash the place, but just to give an honest review from someone who has been there. Would be happy to answer any questions from prospective students.
Anonymous #1 I am sorry to hear that your personal experience as an UG at Cass. I can tell you that my experience however as a PG was completely different. The course was well organised and very demanding. At the same time Cass (based on multiple ranking criteria) is considered as on of the top Business Schools in the country. Finally, City is a constituent college of the University of London (UoL). UoL is world renowned and enjoys a good reputation.
Okay this is really making me confused about picking Cass for BSc finance/Ifrm. Cass isn't even called Cass anymore which worries me.

Can someone please, and be honest, tell me whether Cass is good for Investment banking and in general or not. I am on the verge of picking another course since the reputation of Cass is quite jarring.
Bayes (formerly known as Cass) is one of the top business schools in the UK. This is backed by multiple ranking criteria which can be found here nicely summarized:

https://www.bayes.city.ac.uk/about/our-rankings

The rest is a matter of personal choice.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Cass isn't even called Cass anymore which worries me.

It's only a name change! The quality of teaching has not :yep:
I completely agree. It is just a name change. Imperial College Business School (formerly Tanaka Business School) also changed its name in 2008 to distance itself from Tanaka's fraudulent activities.

Bayes Business School is still a top business school in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending