The Student Room Group

How hard to get 4 A*'s at A-level ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by H.C. Chinaski

Original post by H.C. Chinaski
you won't be getting any A*'s at AS level

It is an impossibility and he didn't.

sorry, my mistake lol i was refering to a-levels as a whole and my cousin did get 3A*'s overall after 2years
Reply 21
Original post by JOR2010
On subjective subjects, such as History, Politics, Philosophy, and Law, it is very difficult, since there's no correct/incorrect answer, and so to demonstrate A* ability is difficult, even if you are talented.

I've found by doing mostly essay based subjects that you have to write 'pedestrian' essays to get top marks by literally hitting the assessment objectives every time. Nothing less. Nothing more. Once you work out the formula to do that, you can score very highly :smile:
If it was a walk in the park, then everyone would be getting them.
Reply 23
Original post by Schoolio93
it does! No one in my college has less than 4 A-levels. Unis like it when you have more than 3 coz it shows that you've got potential to cope with the workload that you experience during your time at uni.

Funny that, I was told on an Oxford open day, and in interview, that they wanted applicants to stick to 3 A-levels and just do well in those . . . Guess some uni's view things differently? :wink:

Anyhoo, sure you can get 4 A*'s a A-level OP, but it is harder in subjective A-levels like the ones you've listed. And you probably wont have much of a social life. Just don't feel pressured into doing 4 to A-levels, 4 ASs and 3 A-levels is plenty :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by soutioirsim

Original post by soutioirsim
It's not wishy washy, that's the right answer.

of course it is, if i do the best i can i could be revising around 10hours a day every day for two years which is totally unnecessary, if you look at one of my questions I was asking how much work is necessary daily to achieve these grades, so i think it is wishy washy
Reply 25
Original post by s_axo

Original post by s_axo
I've found by doing mostly essay based subjects that you have to write 'pedestrian' essays to get top marks by literally hitting the assessment objectives every time. Nothing less. Nothing more. Once you work out the formula to do that, you can score very highly :smile:

It is sad, but true.
Reply 26
Original post by JOR2010
It is sad, but true.

I know :frown: Think you have to leave your creativity out of the door for this one.
Reply 27
thanks a lot for everybody's input, although some not relevant or productive.
Reply 28
Original post by s_axo

Original post by s_axo
I know :frown: Think you have to leave your creativity out of the door for this one.

You can't really show your talent, as such.
Reply 29
Original post by JOR2010
You can't really show your talent, as such.

Yes. I think it's quite limited in what you can write and how you can show it. But hey, marks are marks aye.
It's easy with science and maths subjects where you just have to learn the material really well. In the arts and humanities there is more variation and people can have good and bad exams, so be careful about that
Reply 31
Original post by sprazcrumbler

Original post by sprazcrumbler
It's easy with science and maths subjects where you just have to learn the material really well. In the arts and humanities there is more variation and people can have good and bad exams, so be careful about that

kool thanks for advice
How does Economics compare to subjects like Maths and the Sciences, in terms of how *easy* it is to obtain an A*?
Original post by h_a_95
Personally im am still deciding between career paths so an experience of an extra subject could be pivotal in what career path I choose to go down, tbh im not too worried whether universities care if i have 3/4 im just picking 4 subjects i like you never know what you might be missing out on, and im not to worried about the workload i think its manageable, and i dont want to be normal :s-smilie:

dude all im saying is just to do 4 AS levels, then drop one after the first year (by the you should know what you want to do in your life), then do 3 A-Levels.
i didn't say to do 3 AS then 3 A2s.

it is just the best thing to do because if you start dropping in one subject, then you are going to try your best to catch up and do well in, but then you may drop in your other subjects. then you're ****ed. this is only the case for 4 A2s. not AS levels. AS is not too hard.
Reply 34
it does! No one in my college has less than 4 A-levels. Unis like it when you have more than 3 coz it shows that you've got potential to cope with the workload that you experience during your time at uni.

No, my Oxbridge co-ordinator at school has warned us about doing 4 a levels, because when applying to Cambridge, all it means is an offer with 4 a levels, whereas you make it easier for yourself with 3, and still end up in the same place.
Original post by Jampolo

Original post by Jampolo
No, my Oxbridge co-ordinator at school has warned us about doing 4 a levels, because when applying to Cambridge, all it means is an offer with 4 a levels, whereas you make it easier for yourself with 3, and still end up in the same place.

lol is that why I applied with 4 Alevels but ended up with an A*AA offer?
Reply 36
lol is that why I applied with 4 Alevels but ended up with an A*AA offer?

ooft. Generalising for one case are we sir?
Reply 37
Original post by Jampolo

Original post by Jampolo

my ex girlfriend done 4 A-levels but her offer was A*AA too. But yeah we can't really generalize.
Original post by Jampolo

if he proved it for n+1 then we can assume it to be true for all n by induction
Just remember that qualifications don't really prove intelligence... They're just a snapshot of how good you are at answering exam-style questions of the moment of your exam. If you need the grades to get in somewhere, work for them, but don't waste your energy getting good grades for nothing - some people have mental breakdowns over them. Just look at the big picture and remember that there are better things in life than a letter. If it helps you get somewhere - great, but if it's just for the letter, then what's the point? Don't let people make you feel because you're "clever" at GCSE you have to get A*s everywhere. It's a very very rough measure of intelligence.

Quick Reply

Latest