The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

rutera
LSE for brits, for international students it seems quite easy... we get lower offers.

I'm not sure about the lower offers, but I know a lot of you compete for places at what is the best social science school in Europe, and a lot of you also end up as prime minsters and presidents..

I'm not sure precisely what feminism is, but it gives you every excuse for being a gender-bigoted tart..
Reply 21
For Sep '03 entry, the figures for number of applicants per place was;
1. Buckingham 16.3
2. LSE 11.5
3. Bristol 11.3
4. Warwick 9.2
5 = Nottingham / York 8.9
7. Bath 8.6
8. St Andrews 8.2
9. Bolton Institute (wtf?! lol) 8.1
10. City 8.0

Obviously this only gives an idea for how hard it is to get into a uni, oxbridge only get about 4 applicants per place, because people without straight As predicted or close to it just don't bother, generally....Bolton Institute on the other hand haha, I've not a clue what that's doing in the top 10, maybe you can get in with 2 Gs at gcse or somethin.
emporium
For Sep '03 entry, the figures for number of applicants per place was;
1. Buckingham 16.3
2. LSE 11.5
3. Bristol 11.3
4. Warwick 9.2
5 = Nottingham / York 8.9
7. Bath 8.6
8. St Andrews 8.2
9. Bolton Institute (wtf?! lol) 8.1
10. City 8.0

Obviously this only gives an idea for how hard it is to get into a uni, oxbridge only get about 4 applicants per place, because people without straight As predicted or close to it just don't bother, generally....Bolton Institute on the other hand haha, I've not a clue what that's doing in the top 10, maybe you can get in with 2 Gs at gcse or somethin.

Interesting ,but as far as I know the assumption about Oxbridge is wrong: last time I looked at least 50% of straight A Level people did not apply to Oxbridge, and the entry requirement for LSE/Imperial (but not UCL) is now very close to three As, in reality (as opposed to stated average minimum offers)-of course this does not factor in international applicants and their different qualifications, and also mature students who do very well in degrees but may have few or low- grade formal qualifications-Oxbridge is almost alone in giving them short shrift, and of course places like Bristol now accept working class students with lower grades..
Good website: Fathers4justice
Reply 23
Nissa
After Oxford and Cambridge, which are the most difficult universities to get in to?

UEA waspretty hard, more so than Warwick. I had to sit a one hour exam, and then the ahlf hour interview with two admissions guys ended up being one and a half hours. I was grilled about UN resolutions, and all sorts of Legislation that I'm glad I read up on!!
Reply 24
maybe bolton institute runs a fantastic course that everyone wants to be on emporium... Don't be such a ridiculous bigot.
Reply 25
Oh and my course at Salford Uni was ridiculously hard to get onto.... about 1000 applicants for 35 places. A full day of interviews : theory test, practical exam (on a score I'd been sent just a week previously), improvisation exam. I had to hand in a 1500 word paper, the title of which I'd also been sent the week before, and then do a discussion seminar with the five of us left from the full hall of applicants in the morning. Don't judge a book by its cover mainly. I notice the most pretentious arrogant and often ignorant postings come from people still doing their A-levels. Why don't you wait until you've actually seen university life and tried your degree before dismissing everyone elses?
Reply 26
Is LSE London School of Economics?
Reply 27
mik1a
Is LSE London School of Economics?

yes

G
Reply 28
lofichic
Oh and my course at Salford Uni was ridiculously hard to get onto.... about 1000 applicants for 35 places. A full day of interviews : theory test, practical exam (on a score I'd been sent just a week previously), improvisation exam. I had to hand in a 1500 word paper, the title of which I'd also been sent the week before, and then do a discussion seminar with the five of us left from the full hall of applicants in the morning. Don't judge a book by its cover mainly. I notice the most pretentious arrogant and often ignorant postings come from people still doing their A-levels. Why don't you wait until you've actually seen university life and tried your degree before dismissing everyone elses?

Salford is odd like that, on one hand it is a traditional university and for some courses they only want the best students, other courses they seem to accept anybody just so they can get the money, this has a bad effect on league tables. Salfords main problem with league tables is it always gets a low teaching ranking, but from my experience I have never had any problems with teaching at Salford. I think the rule with most courses at Salford is that if you get a 2:1 you will have a respected degree but if you don't (depending on the subject) you may be screwed. Too many people on my course will fall into this trap.

What course are you on by the way?

As for Bolton well I went to their open day and all the did was slag of Salford even though their facilties were crap and for computer science its ranked 120/126 and Salford is 36/126.

I am sure Bolton has some uses but I think it is strictly more for locals who have no option to go there, but on my course Salford wanted CCD (still not high I know) , where as Bolton just wanted DC.
Reply 29
W.A.S Hewins
I'm not sure about the lower offers, but I know a lot of you compete for places at what is the best social science school in Europe, and a lot of you also end up as prime minsters and presidents..

That's true. LSE is one of the best social sciences school in the world and probably the best in Europe, and it is precisely the reason why so many prime ministers and presidents come out of it. However, what I said about it being easier for international students to get in is based on experience. I know someone who got a BBB offer for economics (and btw, those are her predicted grades) and I find it suspicious that my offer letter saidthat if my fee status changes, my offer may be changed too. That said, I think LSE is definitely worth paying an international fee status for, but the fact that international students have lower offers and that a lot of foreigners I know have entered but brits who would have been more qualified didn't get in makes me think that enrty standards for foreigners are lower. However, I don't want to deceive people into believing that international students have it a whole lot easier, we compete too and I KNOW some of the international students there are going to be highly influential in their countries/continents. It's just that perhaps there is a lot more competition between Brits.
Reply 30
popular music and recording, over at adelphi campus. it is strange, their approach... but i think its due in part to the merging of salford university and salford technology college in the early nineties. The politics, music, acoustics and tv/radio engineering courses I know are within the top ones in the country.... yet it also has some courses which fall completely the other way.
Reply 31
lofichic
popular music and recording, over at adelphi campus. it is strange, their approach... but i think its due in part to the merging of salford university and salford technology college in the early nineties. The politics, music, acoustics and tv/radio engineering courses I know are within the top ones in the country.... yet it also has some courses which fall completely the other way.

Yeah I think a lot of Salford's problems lie with this. There is a course over at Alerton in food hygeine, its a degree course and requires 120 points for entry. Where as some causes require in excess of 300.

I guess the employers know the good from the bad though. Regarding your course I believe that was the first course of its kind in the country.

Latest

Trending

Trending