The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Not sure what the best course of action is - can anyone tell me?

A research postgraduate who didn't pass a probationary progress review and was told by my department that they would recommend to the student dean that me be sent away with a lower degree, if not outright termination. Does anyone know the chances of the student dean rejecting them and keeping me in the course?

This is the toughest moment in my life. None of my friends seems to have gone through anything similar and they can give me nothing more than words of encouragement.

If it comes back bad the appeal process is going to be long and taxing...
No one can really answer this because it depends so heavily on your unique situation (i.e. why you didn't pass the progress review, what issues/options they have communicated to you, etc.). The best you can do is speak with your academic advisor or supervisor and try to come up with a game plan or identify any action/actions you can take to put yourself in a better position. They are more likely to have knowledge of the process and can help support you most effectively. If you're not comfortable talking to your supervisor/advisor, reach out to student services and see if they can put you in touch with a support person.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
No one can really answer this because it depends so heavily on your unique situation (i.e. why you didn't pass the progress review, what issues/options they have communicated to you, etc.). The best you can do is speak with your academic advisor or supervisor and try to come up with a game plan or identify any action/actions you can take to put yourself in a better position. They are more likely to have knowledge of the process and can help support you most effectively. If you're not comfortable talking to your supervisor/advisor, reach out to student services and see if they can put you in touch with a support person.

Sigh...pretty helpless now.
@gjd800 - any thoughts or anyone else you can think to tag who might be able to help?
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
@gjd800 - any thoughts or anyone else you can think to tag who might be able to help?

Ooft, tough position.

I agree with the first reply. It's hard for us to know because we don't have sufficient detail (and giving sufficient detail would involve telling us too much, in some ways). best to get onto student services and your student union ASAP.

It is unusual for a progress review failure to come as a surprise, i.e., OP, you must've known that you were struggling. What help did you seek?
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
Ooft, tough position.

I agree with the first reply. It's hard for us to know because we don't have sufficient detail (and giving sufficient detail would involve telling us too much, in some ways). best to get onto student services and your student union ASAP.

It is unusual for a progress review failure to come as a surprise, i.e., OP, you must've known that you were struggling. What help did you seek?

A mix of negligence and discrimination

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending